Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic Teen's Facebook Costs His Confirmation : Denied Confirmation For Supporting Gay Marriage On Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic Teen's Facebook Costs His Confirmation

Lennon Cihak, Minnesota Teen, Denied Confirmation For Supporting Gay Marriage On Facebook

One Catholic teen's Facebook post reportedly cost him his confirmation last month after a picture of him holding a sign urging people to vote for "equal marriage rights" was spotted by his priest at a Minnesota church.

Rev. Gary LaMoine of the Assumption Church in Barnesville, Minn., allegedly denied Lennon Cihak the religious rite of passage after seeing him online holding a sign altered to criticize the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reports. The amendment would have changed the state’s constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

Lennon's mother, Shana told, the Forum that she was shocked to hear of the decision after she was called into a private conversation with the priest, according to the outlet.

However, the priest has since told the Associated Press that the teen was not in fact denied confirmation, but declined to explain, calling it an "internal and pastoral" matter.

"Some people chose to run out into the public and put it out in the media," LaMoine said. He also said he was consulting with the Catholic Diocese of Crookston about the issue.

Lennon Cihak has expressed moderate views on gay marriage on his Twitter.

Lennon told the Forum that despite the church's rejection, the incident has not affected his faith.

“I don’t want the church to be put down. I don’t want the Catholic religion to be put down,” he said. “It’s just the way the priest has things running. He’s so strict. He won’t loosen up about things.”

Earlier this year, a fifth-grade teacher at St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Moorhead, Minn., was fired because she questioned the Catholic Church’s stance on gay marriage, Minnesota Public Radio reports.

According to the Minnesota Star Tribune, the state’s Catholic clergy were among the most vocal supporters of the state's anti-same-sex marriage constitutional amendment and actively asked Catholic voters to help pass the measure. Voters ultimately rejected the amendment, however.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/lennon-cihak-minnesota-teen-denied-confirmation-gay-marriage_n_2140109.html

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Replies (131-136):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
What are you talking about now? When does an article ever say "the priest, who happens to be celibate....."? Nobody focuses on that, or even says that, as it is inferred.

I'll focus on it for a moment though. Perhaps part of the problem is that it's abnormal??!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Someone cut my quote tree.
The reason it is mentioned is because the media doesnt take the time out to learn about the Catholic church. They think its weird and also that being non-celibate would of stopped them. Which is stupid.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

It's mentioned in every news article when it does happen.  If it doesn't matter, why is it constantly brought up? 

Quoting LauraKW:

Trust me, people don't give a shit that a celibate man rapes a child. People give a shit that a man rapes a child. Celibacy is irrelevant. It's like focusing on the fact that a killer is blonde.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

What other large groups of celibate men are there in the US?  And what's more scandalous than a supposedly celibate man raping a child?  The celibacy is an added factor.  The negative perception is primarily because a few priests molested and some bishops chose to hide it to attempt to prevent a negative image on the Church.

Quoting LauraKW:

Did you just say people have a negative view of Catholic priests because they are celibate? Do you seriously believe celibacy has anything to do with that negative perception?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

your kids are statisically far more likely to be molested by an uncle, coach, etc than any priest.  Priests are just an easy target because they are the only celibate group of men around.  The Church has and is continuing to pay for these horrific acts.  There is, I'm sure, a special place in hell reserved for anyone who hurts a child.  That being said, the number of priests who actually commited these crimes are a VERY, VERY small number when compared to the actual number of priests there are out there.  And while the priest may not know what goes in your mind, when you post it on the internet or it gets involved in the courts, then everyone is aware what's in your heart and mind. 

Quoting pansyprincess:

Do you still get to take communion after you molest a bunch of boys?  Let's not pretend that priests pay any attention to who gets communion.  I could get up in line every single week and eat that wafer, and that priest has no idea what is in my heart or mind.  It's ridiculous.  Everything about the Catholic religion is just terrible.  I lived it.  I'm aware.  Although, to be fair, every religion is ridiculous.  They are all just a cult with a bunch of followers.  I just have a special distain for the Catholic church, since it's the one I know best.  :)

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

*sigh*  again...If you are NOT Catholic, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of the religion,  then stop making your own assumptions. Your original comments were actually really ignorant and offensive.  Since it was apparent you knew nothing about the religion, I informed you.  If you don't understand the concept of confession then it would seem stupid to you.  If  I decided to mouth off on your religion and call it stupid, you would find it offensive as well.   No one said he wasn't a nice kid.  

Quoting shannonnigans:

He sounds like a nice kid, and he's made to think he's done something wrong. He has to go to confession? Seriously? Yes, I think that is some stupid crap, sorry.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Really? Exorcism and Excommunication wasn't being sarcastic? Are you actually Catholic or are you just going by what you see on TV?  You never asked what the next step was in your post.  I informed you that you in fact know little to nothing that was accurate about the Catholic church.  Your judgemental attitude towards a religion you have no information on makes it hard for me to believe that this is the stupidest crap you have ever heard of.  I bet you hear alot of good information and pass it off as stupid if you don't like it.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I haven't been sarcastic one bit yet. I asked a logical question because he can go to confession all day long and it still won't alter the fact that he believes in equal rights. Therefore, I was asking what is the next step.

So now, in light of your snarky close-minded comment, let me skip the sarcasm which would probably have sailed over your head anyway..... This is the stupidest crap I've ever heard. Is that non-sarcastic enough for you?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

shunning is an Amish tradition, wherein when you violate their church doctrine you are ignored entirely.  Catholics do not shun.  He can still go to church, and if the priest chooses, he may receive communion.  In order for a confession to "count" in the literal terms, he has to actually be sorry.  So if he goes, and isn't, it's still considered sin in the eyes of the church.  They only excommunicate if you repeatedly and willfully commit violations of church doctrine...which is why you rarely hear of it happening.  Exorcism is only in cases of demon possession, which this is not.

That being said, it's HIS choice to remain Catholic or not.  I don't know too many catholics who agree with every rule/follow, but we also don't tend to go around carrying signs offer public support in direct violation of church doctrine.  Your attempt at sarcastically attacking the church isn't really anything new to us.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Well wait. Another person posted that he would not be shunned, but apparently he cannot take communion while everyone else does. That sounds like he's shunned.

Ok and so let's say he goes to confession? Is he now good for communion? Because we all know he still supports same sex marriage.

And if he's never going to be spiritually pure, what is the point of him remaining Catholic, and from the Church perspective, what is the point of having him keep coming? If he's this unpure, and continues to believe in same sex marriage, why not just excommunicate him. I suppose you could exorcise him, and maybe that could help.

Or you could be tolerant of what sounds like a compassionate kid whose company I'd be honored to keep, and let him embrace his faith.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

nope, sorry, yes they do. If you are in violation of any of the ten commandents you are bound by the agreements within church law to not take communion, as you are not spiritually pure...you have to go to confession first etc.  If you are pro choice, you are in violation, so no communion.  This also is applied if you are processing a divorce.  The priest has the final say on these matters, but there are guidelines they are given to follow.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sorry...but I do not think any church has the authority to deny people communion.  Christ didn't say "This do in remembrance of me...as long as you fulfill these guidelines"

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Agree with Church,  The priest has the right to do this. It's the same as the priests not giving communion to politicians who support gay marriage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

This is news why?  We know that the Catholic church doesn't believe in gay marriage, and they are free to do what they want with their membership when it comes to their beliefs.

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

that was what I was trying to get to, you worded it better. Thanks!  My brother is a priest (the non touching kind) so naturally it bugs me when people assume ALL priests are dirty men who touch kids.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Someone cut my quote tree.
The reason it is mentioned is because the media doesnt take the time out to learn about the Catholic church. They think its weird and also that being non-celibate would of stopped them. Which is stupid.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

It's mentioned in every news article when it does happen.  If it doesn't matter, why is it constantly brought up? 

Quoting LauraKW:

Trust me, people don't give a shit that a celibate man rapes a child. People give a shit that a man rapes a child. Celibacy is irrelevant. It's like focusing on the fact that a killer is blonde.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

What other large groups of celibate men are there in the US?  And what's more scandalous than a supposedly celibate man raping a child?  The celibacy is an added factor.  The negative perception is primarily because a few priests molested and some bishops chose to hide it to attempt to prevent a negative image on the Church.

Quoting LauraKW:

Did you just say people have a negative view of Catholic priests because they are celibate? Do you seriously believe celibacy has anything to do with that negative perception?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

your kids are statisically far more likely to be molested by an uncle, coach, etc than any priest.  Priests are just an easy target because they are the only celibate group of men around.  The Church has and is continuing to pay for these horrific acts.  There is, I'm sure, a special place in hell reserved for anyone who hurts a child.  That being said, the number of priests who actually commited these crimes are a VERY, VERY small number when compared to the actual number of priests there are out there.  And while the priest may not know what goes in your mind, when you post it on the internet or it gets involved in the courts, then everyone is aware what's in your heart and mind. 

Quoting pansyprincess:

Do you still get to take communion after you molest a bunch of boys?  Let's not pretend that priests pay any attention to who gets communion.  I could get up in line every single week and eat that wafer, and that priest has no idea what is in my heart or mind.  It's ridiculous.  Everything about the Catholic religion is just terrible.  I lived it.  I'm aware.  Although, to be fair, every religion is ridiculous.  They are all just a cult with a bunch of followers.  I just have a special distain for the Catholic church, since it's the one I know best.  :)

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

*sigh*  again...If you are NOT Catholic, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of the religion,  then stop making your own assumptions. Your original comments were actually really ignorant and offensive.  Since it was apparent you knew nothing about the religion, I informed you.  If you don't understand the concept of confession then it would seem stupid to you.  If  I decided to mouth off on your religion and call it stupid, you would find it offensive as well.   No one said he wasn't a nice kid.  

Quoting shannonnigans:

He sounds like a nice kid, and he's made to think he's done something wrong. He has to go to confession? Seriously? Yes, I think that is some stupid crap, sorry.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Really? Exorcism and Excommunication wasn't being sarcastic? Are you actually Catholic or are you just going by what you see on TV?  You never asked what the next step was in your post.  I informed you that you in fact know little to nothing that was accurate about the Catholic church.  Your judgemental attitude towards a religion you have no information on makes it hard for me to believe that this is the stupidest crap you have ever heard of.  I bet you hear alot of good information and pass it off as stupid if you don't like it.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I haven't been sarcastic one bit yet. I asked a logical question because he can go to confession all day long and it still won't alter the fact that he believes in equal rights. Therefore, I was asking what is the next step.

So now, in light of your snarky close-minded comment, let me skip the sarcasm which would probably have sailed over your head anyway..... This is the stupidest crap I've ever heard. Is that non-sarcastic enough for you?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

shunning is an Amish tradition, wherein when you violate their church doctrine you are ignored entirely.  Catholics do not shun.  He can still go to church, and if the priest chooses, he may receive communion.  In order for a confession to "count" in the literal terms, he has to actually be sorry.  So if he goes, and isn't, it's still considered sin in the eyes of the church.  They only excommunicate if you repeatedly and willfully commit violations of church doctrine...which is why you rarely hear of it happening.  Exorcism is only in cases of demon possession, which this is not.

That being said, it's HIS choice to remain Catholic or not.  I don't know too many catholics who agree with every rule/follow, but we also don't tend to go around carrying signs offer public support in direct violation of church doctrine.  Your attempt at sarcastically attacking the church isn't really anything new to us.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Well wait. Another person posted that he would not be shunned, but apparently he cannot take communion while everyone else does. That sounds like he's shunned.

Ok and so let's say he goes to confession? Is he now good for communion? Because we all know he still supports same sex marriage.

And if he's never going to be spiritually pure, what is the point of him remaining Catholic, and from the Church perspective, what is the point of having him keep coming? If he's this unpure, and continues to believe in same sex marriage, why not just excommunicate him. I suppose you could exorcise him, and maybe that could help.

Or you could be tolerant of what sounds like a compassionate kid whose company I'd be honored to keep, and let him embrace his faith.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

nope, sorry, yes they do. If you are in violation of any of the ten commandents you are bound by the agreements within church law to not take communion, as you are not spiritually pure...you have to go to confession first etc.  If you are pro choice, you are in violation, so no communion.  This also is applied if you are processing a divorce.  The priest has the final say on these matters, but there are guidelines they are given to follow.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sorry...but I do not think any church has the authority to deny people communion.  Christ didn't say "This do in remembrance of me...as long as you fulfill these guidelines"

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Agree with Church,  The priest has the right to do this. It's the same as the priests not giving communion to politicians who support gay marriage.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

The point is that it wouldn't be given nearly the publicity it does if it weren't for the celibacy factor.  Children get molested a lot in this country.  The vast majority are by someone close to the family, or in the family.  Rape/molestation by a priest is only seen as common because of how often it's covered in the news.  If they covered every case of rape/molestation, those done by priests would be totally buried.

Quoting shannonnigans:

What are you talking about now? When does an article ever say "the priest, who happens to be celibate....."? Nobody focuses on that, or even says that, as it is inferred.

I'll focus on it for a moment though. Perhaps part of the problem is that it's abnormal??!!!

babiesbabybaby development

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM
But I dont agree with that. Clearly it is mentioned that it's clergy but I think the point is that because of that, it's a person in whom we feel we can trust. I don't think or at least I don't see where people focus on the celibacy aspect of it. I might do that because I think such an oath is abnormal and bound to lead to problems, but that's me. I don't see the media coming out and saying that (nor should they).

Quoting kailu1835:

The point is that it wouldn't be given nearly the publicity it does if it weren't for the celibacy factor.  Children get molested a lot in this country.  The vast majority are by someone close to the family, or in the family.  Rape/molestation by a priest is only seen as common because of how often it's covered in the news.  If they covered every case of rape/molestation, those done by priests would be totally buried.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)