Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Many teens don’t know Titanic was real, they think it’s only a film

Posted by   + Show Post

Read the following messages on Twitter and be amazed. This happened just before the premiere of the film in 3D.

A Twitter user @analoguepilot summed it up as follows:

Same kids who didn’t know the titanic was real are the same kids who think vinyl is a new clothing fabric.

Was Titanic real?

http://todayilearned.co.uk/page/10/

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Replies (71-75):
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Whhhaaatt the Titanic is REAL?!

Lol jk jk I know.

But really its sad that they don't know, too worried about ipads and skinny jeans I suppose?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Like how the qwerty keyboard was designed to slow typists (to avoid tangling the keys so much) ... cursive wasn't designed so people could 'take pride in their handwriting' but to avoid wrecking the delicate nibs on dip pens.

Hardly an issue today -- either of them.

Phonics is stupid for English because you have to learn to read twice: once for the expunged 'only using phonetically-spelled words' reading on offer for dumb young children; and again for the other 97% of English. Phonics instruction is to blame for this common misspelling: gril.

You hit the nail on the head, though: the whole education system is getting dumber and dumber (while it gets earlier and earlier --what day do you think they'll notice that the earlier they start, the dumber the grads are?)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Cursive writing a thing of the past?  Ridiculous. Remember would people still took pride in their handwriting? A lot of things have been  dismissed as useless that truly are important!  I still can't understand why public schools do not teach phonics any longer.  It's all memorizing.  These kids can't read because they lack  the  fundamentals of sounding out words.  It's no secret around CM that I think the American Public School System is educationally inept, and turning out the most unintelligent, immoral, and dumbest children siance 2000.   Thank God, (yes, I said God -- another CM taboo) most of our children are grown with the exception of our two  youngest. 

Quoting candlegal:

Saturday night, one of the guys at work asked me if I could read cursive.   When I said yes, he gave me a letter written in cursive and asked me to read it to him.  I didn't say anything to him, but I know  a lot of schools are dropping cursive writing and didn't realize so many had already done it.  I say kid, he is probably early twenty's.

This country is already in a whole lot of trouble, I can't even imagine what it will be like 20 years from now with the government run school system dumbing kids down even further.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Schools and SOME (not all) parents are too interested in showing kids where to get their birth control instead of actual teaching.  Kids look stuff up on the internet instead of doing proper research in a library.  Hell, they probably don't know what the Dewey Decimal System is.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:59 AM

sad... after the movie came out my young kids chose to research it themselves.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

That's sad. I'm a bit of a Titanic nut so my boys are all pretty knowledgeable about it. My little girl is still learning but she knows a little.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Quoting mlg1989:

Whhhaaatt the Titanic is REAL?!

Lol jk jk I know.

But really its sad that they don't know, too worried about ipads and skinny jeans I suppose?

and Obama phones and free birth control and food stamps and WIC and keeping old white men out of their uterus and keeping old white men out of their shack-up's uterus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN