Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dolphins found shot, mutilated in Gulf of Mexico

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
  • 85 Replies

Dolphins Found Shot, Mutilated in Gulf of Mexico

PHOTO: A fatally wounded dolphin is shown in this November 2012 photo provided by the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies of Gulfport Miss.

Authorities are investigating a string of attacks on dolphins along the Gulf Coast after some of the marine mammals were found with gunshot wounds and mutilations.

"We responded to one dolphin from Alabama that had its tail cut off," said Dr. Moby Solangi, of the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies. "We responded to a dolphin this morning from Ship Island that had its lower jaw cut off. In the last week we had a dolphin with a bullet hole in it."

PHOTO: A fatally wounded dolphin is shown in this November 2012 photo provided by the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies of Gulfport Miss.
Institute for Marine Mammal Studies/AP Photo
A fatally wounded dolphin is shown in this... View Full Size
Search for Missing Oil Rig Workers Continues Watch Video
Gulf Coast Oil Rig Bursts Into Flames; 2 Workers Missing, 4 Injured Watch Video
BP's Big Oil Spill Settlement Includes Criminal Charges Watch Video

In response, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has asked officials to be on alert for any attacks in the waters off of Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida.

The gentle creatures have long been the star attraction at marine parks around the world and are believed to be the world's second most intelligent animal, making the attacks seem even more incomprehensible.

"I think it's important that everyone understand that this is not only cruel, but it's also illegal," Solangi said.

If the perpetrators are caught, they could face up to a year in jail and fines of up to $100,000.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Arghhh! Who would do this?? How sad :(

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Dolphins are creepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Paperfishies:

Dolphins are creepy.

...but don't deserve this.

AMBG825
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Dolphins have been known to attack people without provocation. They have been known to bite people and drag them under water or ram them repeatedly. Most of the time people will survive an attack by a dolphin but I'm sure it's quite frightening when you're in the midst of an attack.

Not saying that's what happened but it is a possibility.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood killing animals for no reason.  

lga1965
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Quoting AMBG825:

Dolphins have been known to attack people without provocation. They have been known to bite people and drag them under water or ram them repeatedly. Most of the time people will survive an attack by a dolphin but I'm sure it's quite frightening when you're in the midst of an attack.

Retaliation against dolphin attacks? That seems a little bit of a stretch. I am thinking its the opposite. Wouldn't they , the dolphins , have to be provoked? Pushed  beyond limits to attack? Possibly humans provoked them? I think so.

But we are only guessing.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM
They are no more or less special than any other animal. I would be a hypocrit if I felt so.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Dolphins are creepy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:58 AM
I was thinking if the dolphin attacked they defended themselves. Everytime I've gone diving I've carried a knife. I would have used it. If I was on the boat witnessing an attack I would have used a gun if I had one.

But as I said I don't know that this is what happened. I'm just throwing it out there.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting AMBG825:

Retaliation against dolphin attacks? That seems a little bit of a stretch. I am thinking its the opposite. Wouldn't they , the dolphins , have to be provoked? Pushed  beyond limits to attack? Possibly humans provoked them? I think so.

But we are only guessing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Morning America just discussed this. They are saying there is a dolphin killer out there, mutilating dolphins.But who knows.

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Well sure, inherently, in the big scheme of things. 

But some animals have always played a more important role in human myth, psyche, what have you. It's not necessarily hypocritical to find dolphins way more awesome than, say, beetles.  

Besides, with all this going on, I expect they'll start singing "thanks for all the fish" soon and fly up back into space (<---Douglas Adams reference...)

Quoting Paperfishies:

They are no more or less special than any other animal. I would be a hypocrit if I felt so.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Dolphins are creepy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)