Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Hunger Games trilogy and religion

Posted by   + Show Post
If you have read the books, you have most likely noticed there is no mention of religion in them. No one mentions Christmas. No one talks about Jesus. No one prays for protection and guidance. Why do you think that is?

I think it's so far in the future and with all the disaster and loss of life, religion died out and there was really no one around to start another church or spread His word. Most likely, any effort to start a church was squashed down by the Capitol and President Snow. He was so power-hungry, he couldn't stand the thought of anyone else worshipping anyone other than him, and anyone talking about religion and/or Jesus would be punished. Then religion just fizzled out.

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
smtxcowgirl
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I am so far from a Jesus freak lol. I don't even go to church. I just thought it would be something interesting to talk about but I guess not.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Aww look.. The Jesus freaks are...freaking out that the author hasn't lifted her leg and sprayed Jesus all over her novels.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We would have to ask the author this question.

The stories center around the Govt. 

I don't believe religion will ever die out.  

If the author had mixed the characters with religion there would have been people throwing a fit.  You can't do much these days without offending some one, some where. *sigh*

The books are fantastic just the way they are.

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Goodness gracious... I do see this as a "Jesus freak" post but rather as a literary discussion.

Op, I have read the books and honestly I had not noticed the lack of religious reference. Often futuristic novel do not reference religion. Your inference maybe true. There is a theoretical line of thinking that proposes that religion will ultimately die out. When Dh and I lived in the UK we frequently heard people say that "religion was bombed out" during the destructive WWs. Of course religion still exists, although not as devoutly as once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Your religion doesn't need to be everywhere in our society sheesh.
SuperChicken
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I think it's a teen novel, and while I enjoyed them I don't think the author was trying to make any big proclamation about religion in the future.     I think that trying to guess the motives of fictional characters, be they President Snow or God, is silly.

edit - that sounds really rude.  I'm sorry.  I'm not trying to be dismissive.   That's just my real opinion.  I don't think the author was making any statement about religion at all and fictional characters don't have motives.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that if you really sit and think about it, the Capitol IS their religion. It is the equivalent of Christianity in medieval times. They control you in every facet of your life and if you speak out against them, you are punished.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The books were political in nature, religion really wasn't a part of it.  HOwever, you could argue that the general "faith" was in fate and odds and luck.

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM
4 moms liked this
Slightly off topic (but not much)....

Don't literary discussions often involve inferences about characters and motives? Whether or not the the novel is fictional should not deter discussions. Just because the author does come out and say "I was taking about x, y, and z" does not mean a debate / discussion cannot be had. Literature would be so boring without vivacious discussions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I haven't read the books, but I would imagine that the lack of religion has more to do with the government no longer needing it as a means to control the population.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Or just choosing a different means of control.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I haven't read the books, but I would imagine that the lack of religion has more to do with the government no longer needing it as a means to control the population.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)