Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Hunger Games trilogy and religion

Posted by   + Show Post
If you have read the books, you have most likely noticed there is no mention of religion in them. No one mentions Christmas. No one talks about Jesus. No one prays for protection and guidance. Why do you think that is?

I think it's so far in the future and with all the disaster and loss of life, religion died out and there was really no one around to start another church or spread His word. Most likely, any effort to start a church was squashed down by the Capitol and President Snow. He was so power-hungry, he couldn't stand the thought of anyone else worshipping anyone other than him, and anyone talking about religion and/or Jesus would be punished. Then religion just fizzled out.

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's pretty typical of sci-fi to have no mention of religion.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Exactly. They no longer needed religion as a means of control because they had something else.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Or just choosing a different means of control.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I haven't read the books, but I would imagine that the lack of religion has more to do with the government no longer needing it as a means to control the population.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I have a feeling the author purposely did not mention religion as to not muddle the storyline. 

lga1965
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I really don't think religion belongs in fiction ....unless you need to have "His word " in the story .... if so ,go to a Christian bookstore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

I really don't think religion belongs in fiction ....unless you need to have "His word " in the story .... if so ,go to a Christian bookstore.

Oh, but religion provides SUCH a great jumping ground for some really interesting stories. Even in stories where the religious aspects are somewhat ambiguous. 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

lga1965
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I guess ...since it is fiction.
:-)

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting lga1965:

Oh, but religion provides SUCH a great jumping ground for some really interesting stories. Even in stories where the religious aspects are somewhat ambiguous. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I think that religion has been suppressed in that world. I mean....Gale said things about the Capitol and government while he and Katniss were in the woods that would get him arrested otherwise. It seemed like the Capitol was very much against any kind of freedom of expression and that includes religion. They strong armed the people of Panem to essentially become robots, simply living out their lives to produce items to contribute to surviving.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

o_O,

I think it is a book

GLWerth
by Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I think the author was trying to make a larger point about humanity and government, religion would have diluted the point, muddied the waters, so to speak.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Quoting GLWerth:

I think the author was trying to make a larger point about humanity and government, religion would have diluted the point, muddied the waters, so to speak.

Right. Religion at all would have shifted the focus onto religion for many readers, which has nothing at all to do with the story. 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)