Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Hunger Games trilogy and religion

Posted by   + Show Post
If you have read the books, you have most likely noticed there is no mention of religion in them. No one mentions Christmas. No one talks about Jesus. No one prays for protection and guidance. Why do you think that is?

I think it's so far in the future and with all the disaster and loss of life, religion died out and there was really no one around to start another church or spread His word. Most likely, any effort to start a church was squashed down by the Capitol and President Snow. He was so power-hungry, he couldn't stand the thought of anyone else worshipping anyone other than him, and anyone talking about religion and/or Jesus would be punished. Then religion just fizzled out.

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
polyhymia
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I think that it was purposefully left out and the focus was suppose to be more on the government. But it is an interesting observation. It could be looked at through a religious point of view as what the world would be like without it (those who believe morality and all are determined by religion).It could also be that the characters are focuse on base survival . I am by no means religious, but i do look at that sort of thing when reading too. I loved that the main character is a girl, a strong girl who is smart and resourceful. I am not finished with the first book yet-it has been collecting dust until this semester is over.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I have yet to read the series. I have tried to start it, but, it hasnt grabbed me enough to keep reading.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Or to flip it... There is supposed to be unwaving following of the laws and admiration of the Capitol. It can do no wrong. With the drones and technology they can see you all the time. You must not speak against the Capitol. The Capitol can reach into your life at any point and destroy you. It punishes the current and future generations for the sins of the past. Sound like any religion you know? Could it be a commentary on allowing a religion to be the end all and be all of law and governance. Could it be that this is what we will face should any one religion take over control?

Quoting polyhymia:

I think that it was purposefully left out and the focus was suppose to be more on the government. But it is an interesting observation. It could be looked at through a religious point of view as what the world would be like without it (those who believe morality and all are determined by religion).It could also be that the characters are focuse on base survival . I am by no means religious, but i do look at that sort of thing when reading too. I loved that the main character is a girl, a strong girl who is smart and resourceful. I am not finished with the first book yet-it has been collecting dust until this semester is over.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting muslimahpj:

I have yet to read the series. I have tried to start it, but, it hasnt grabbed me enough to keep reading.

Honestly, it's slow until you get to the games, which is about the halfway point of the first book. Then after that, you "get" more of Katniss' internal struggle, and what the ramifications of her actions are on everyone, and everything. The sequels are very much about how her one act of defiance started a chain of events that could not be stopped, and how that effects her personally.  

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

caito
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I like that she didn't try to sneak religion into the theme of the books. She doesn't try to preach secularism either. It's just...well, a non-issue. 

butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you can surmise that we as a species do enough harm to ourselves without the help of organized religion.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
It almost seems that in many dystopian novels the government becomes the religion in them.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Goodness gracious... I do see this as a "Jesus freak" post but rather as a literary discussion.

Op, I have read the books and honestly I had not noticed the lack of religious reference. Often futuristic novel do not reference religion. Your inference maybe true. There is a theoretical line of thinking that proposes that religion will ultimately die out. When Dh and I lived in the UK we frequently heard people say that "religion was bombed out" during the destructive WWs. Of course religion still exists, although not as devoutly as once.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Honestly, it's slow until you get to the games, which is about the halfway point of the first book. Then after that, you "get" more of Katniss' internal struggle, and what the ramifications of her actions are on everyone, and everything. The sequels are very much about how her one act of defiance started a chain of events that could not be stopped, and how that effects her personally.  

See, that's too long for me to have to wait to get 'hooked'. LOL I have too many books on my to read list to wait around for the 'hook' :D

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I actually felt, after reading the trilogy, that the author was making a more social comment about our voyeristic and detached current society. Religion actually did not play into my thoughts at the time.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

It almost seems that in many dystopian novels the government becomes the religion in them.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Goodness gracious... I do see this as a "Jesus freak" post but rather as a literary discussion.

Op, I have read the books and honestly I had not noticed the lack of religious reference. Often futuristic novel do not reference religion. Your inference maybe true. There is a theoretical line of thinking that proposes that religion will ultimately die out. When Dh and I lived in the UK we frequently heard people say that "religion was bombed out" during the destructive WWs. Of course religion still exists, although not as devoutly as once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Pam on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The books are not religious, why would it be something the author would insert?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)