Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Hunger Games trilogy and religion

Posted by   + Show Post
If you have read the books, you have most likely noticed there is no mention of religion in them. No one mentions Christmas. No one talks about Jesus. No one prays for protection and guidance. Why do you think that is?

I think it's so far in the future and with all the disaster and loss of life, religion died out and there was really no one around to start another church or spread His word. Most likely, any effort to start a church was squashed down by the Capitol and President Snow. He was so power-hungry, he couldn't stand the thought of anyone else worshipping anyone other than him, and anyone talking about religion and/or Jesus would be punished. Then religion just fizzled out.

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (51-60):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting muslimahpj:

I have yet to read the series. I have tried to start it, but, it hasnt grabbed me enough to keep reading.

Honestly, it's slow until you get to the games, which is about the halfway point of the first book. Then after that, you "get" more of Katniss' internal struggle, and what the ramifications of her actions are on everyone, and everything. The sequels are very much about how her one act of defiance started a chain of events that could not be stopped, and how that effects her personally.  

See, that's too long for me to have to wait to get 'hooked'. LOL I have too many books on my to read list to wait around for the 'hook' :D

Oh, I believe it. Since we're both friends with Ebook Escobar! LOL 

LOL She is the crackdealer. 

SunFlower700
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Good observation, I never thought about that.  I saw the movie but never read the books.  I think it's just a common theme in post apocalyptic movies that they believed religion was the cause of all wars and when religion and education for the poor was removed from the equation, the governement believed that it was easier to control the people.  Similar to the movie The Book of Eli where all the books and bibles were burned, except for one bible which Eli held on to and guarded.  JMPO

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Cuz the book isn't about religion..............
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smtxcowgirl
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The only reason I even came to the thought of the series and religion was during a point of the book where, if it were I, I would be praying for protection and help. That's when I realized, "Hey, there's no religion in this book. Interesting".

Quoting punky3175:

I've read the series and the lack of religion didn't even occur to me. As others have said, I don't think that was the story the author was tying to tell.

I'm sorry people have reacted so badly to this thread. I think you made some interesting observations and it is definitely a nice change of pace from all the election crap from the last 6 months.

I really enjoyed the series and will probably read it again and with this thread I will probably notice the lack of religion more. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smtxcowgirl
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I actually just started college courses 2 weeks ago to get my Bachelor's and then Master's in Psychology. I've never been to college before this!

I enjoy dissecting books and discussing them. There's so much that an author infers, and readers will understand symbolism and hidden meanings differently.

The book didn't need religion. It was great on its own. As pp's have suggested, the government mimics an early Christianity where people were punished for their sins and speaking out against their leaders.

Were the citizens of Panem punished whenever they tried to pray, form a religion, and/or worship someone other than the Capitol?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

This is the basis of a book becoming "Literature" rather than "just a book." The reason for a lack of religion in this trilogy, especially as compared to other dystopian novels (V for Vendetta, The Giver, Brave New World) easily becomes a valid thesis in order to place all of those novels into our modern American literary canon.

Well done, OP! Were you an English major in college? That's the kind of stuff we discussed all the time. 

Did the Hunger Games trilogy *need* religion? Was the religion of the State the Hunger Games themselves? Might Katniss have taken on a Messianic persona as the face of the revloution (or better yet, Prim for her sacrifice)? 

Maybe the answer is no. But the discussion is still valid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I think your thinking too much into it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

lol I think you are right.  Do you know when they will be coming out w/ the second one? 

ihave1
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

the religion part didnt cross my mind either. Im trying to get my copy of the first book back from a friend b/c I am dying to read them all again.  This will diff be in my mind!

Quoting smtxcowgirl:

The only reason I even came to the thought of the series and religion was during a point of the book where, if it were I, I would be praying for protection and help. That's when I realized, "Hey, there's no religion in this book. Interesting".

Quoting punky3175:

I've read the series and the lack of religion didn't even occur to me. As others have said, I don't think that was the story the author was tying to tell.

I'm sorry people have reacted so badly to this thread. I think you made some interesting observations and it is definitely a nice change of pace from all the election crap from the last 6 months.

I really enjoyed the series and will probably read it again and with this thread I will probably notice the lack of religion more. :-)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Sure. 

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:44 AM

President Snow was a religion unto himself. The religion was there but it was not any that we currently have. You have sacrifice, atonement, two saints, and redemption.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)