Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jaywalking Drives Me Nuts!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 3 Replies

I am so worried that one day someone will just walk out in front of my car while I'm driving. This may sound silly, but jaywalking in the city is so common, sometimes you cannot move your car! Why do people do this? Why won't they use crosswalks?   I've even seen mothers pushing strollers, holding a toddler's hand while jaywalking. Do people not understand the idea behind crosswalks? Can someone explain to me why people cannot take the effort to walk a few extra yards to a crosswalk? 

One night on our way home, we saw this accident and wondered if someone was hit while jaywalking. I found this article, and I wasn't surprised when I read the person was hit and died as a result of jaywalking. 

Pedestrian killed crossing Ritchie Highway in Brooklyn Park

Victim was not in designated crosswalk

November 16, 2012|Mary Gail Hare, The Baltimore Sun

A pedestrian, who police say was jaywalking on Ritchie Highway in Brooklyn Park Thursday night, died after being struck by a pickup truck.

Cheryl Lynn Knick, 57, of the 5100 block of Brookwood Road in the same neighborhood, died at Harbor Hospital soon after the 7:44 p.m. accident on the highway, south of the intersection with 11th Avenue West.

The truck was traveling south on the highway. Its driver, a 53-year-old Gambrills man, swerved to avoid the victim, who was not crossing at a designated crosswalk and had failed to yield to southbound traffic, police said. The driver, who was not injured, was unable to avoid the pedestrian, police said.

According to a preliminary investigation, pedestrian error was the primary cause of this crash and speed on the part of the driver was not a factor, police said. The victim's dark clothing also made it difficult for motorists to see her, police said.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

What drives me nuts is when someone is jaywalking less than 20 feet away from a friggin crosswalk. Seriously, is it THAT hard to walk that 20 feet and use the actual crosswalk??? Idiocy.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Omg yes that drives me crazy too!

In college, it was around 1am and we were driving to a friend's dorm and in the city we lived in they had very dim city lights because it has an observatory. A person walked out in front of our car maybe 20 feet from a crosswalk. We almost hit them. And they wore all black! Only way I saw them was there were reflectors on their shoes. Scared the crap out if us.

And the other thing I just love is when people jaywalk in front of you and then get pissed at you for driving there and nearly hitting them. Uhm............

Quoting Arroree:

What drives me nuts is when someone is jaywalking less than 20 feet away from a friggin crosswalk. Seriously, is it THAT hard to walk that 20 feet and use the actual crosswalk??? Idiocy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

One of the most well used way to get to my sons Elementary school is a sky bridge over a busy street that leads on and off the local military base. The traffic there in the mornings and afternoons can get really dangerous. Friday when i was picking my son up from school the principal came on the loudspeakers and he was chewing out parents for not only jaywalking across that street instead of using the skybridge, but for also taking their children across that street during high traffic times instead of having them use the skybridge. He even went so far as to tell them that if there was ice on the bridge to just let the school know and they would personally go put down ice melt to keep the families safe *even though it's not their responsibility as it's not on school property* He was pretty pissed at the parents for endangering their kids that way, and i fully understand why, it's unbelievably vile that any parent would put their child in that kind of danger just to avoid a few steps :(

Quoting Mipsy:

Omg yes that drives me crazy too!

In college, it was around 1am and we were driving to a friend's dorm and in the city we lived in they had very dim city lights because it has an observatory. A person walked out in front of our car maybe 20 feet from a crosswalk. We almost hit them. And they wore all black! Only way I saw them was there were reflectors on their shoes. Scared the crap out if us.

And the other thing I just love is when people jaywalk in front of you and then get pissed at you for driving there and nearly hitting them. Uhm............

Quoting Arroree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN