Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stop pretending the US is an uninvolved , helpless party in the Israeli assault on Gaza

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

Sunday, 18 November 2012 15:03

Stop pretending the US is an uninvolved, helpless party in the Israeli assault on Gaza

Written by  Glenn Greenwald
Rate this item
(0 votes)
A Palestinian man carries a wounded child at a hospital following an Israeli air raid in Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 17, 2012A Palestinian man carries a wounded child at a hospital following an Israeli air raid in Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 17, 2012Moiz Salhi/AFP/Getty Images

The Guardian - A central premise of US media coverage of the Israeli attack on Gaza - beyond the claim that Israel is justifiably "defending itself" - is that this is some endless conflict between two foreign entitles, and Americans can simply sit by helplessly and lament the tragedy of it all. The reality is precisely the opposite: Israeli aggression is possible only because of direct, affirmative, unstinting US diplomatic, financial and military support for Israel and everything it does. This self-flattering depiction of the US as uninvolved, neutral party is the worst media fiction since TV news personalities covered the Arab Spring by pretending that the US is and long has been on the side of the heroic democratic protesters, rather than the key force that spent decades propping up the tyrannies they were fighting.

Literally each day since the latest attacks began, the Obama administration has expressed its unqualified support for Israel's behavior. Just two days before the latest Israeli air attacks began, Obama told Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmud Abbas "that his administration opposes a Palestinian bid for non-state membership of the UN". Both the US Senate and House have already passed resolutions unequivocally supporting Israel, thus earning the ultimate DC reward: the head-pat from Aipac, which "praised the extraordinary show of support by the Senate for Israel's struggle against terrorist attacks on its citizens". More bipartisan Congressional cheerleading is certain to come as the attacks continue, no matter how much more brutal they become.

In reflexive defense of Israel, the US government thus once against put itself squarely at odds with key nations such as Turkey (whose prime minister accused Israel of being motivated by elections and demanded that Israel be "held to account" for mounting civilians deaths), Egypt (which denounced Israeli attacks as "aggression against humanity"), and Tunisia (which called on the world to "stop the blatant aggression" of Israel).

By rather stark contrast, Obama continues to defend Israel's free hand in Gaza, causing commentators like Jeffrey Goldberg to gloat, not inaccurately: "Barack Obama hasn't turned against Israel. This is a big surprise to everyone who has not paid attention for the last four years" (indeed, there are few more compelling signs of how dumb and misleading US elections are than the fact that the only criticism of Obama on Israel heard over the last year in the two-party debate was the grievance that Obama evinces insufficient fealty - rather than excessive fealty - to the Israeli government). That the Netanyahu government knows that any attempt to condemn Israel at the UN would be instantly blocked by the US is a major factor enabling them to continue however they wish. And, of course, the bombs, planes and tanks they are using are subsidized, in substantial part, by the US taxpayer.

If one wants to defend US support for Israel on the merits - on the ground that this escalating Israeli aggression against a helpless population is just and warranted - then one should do so. As I wrote on Thursday, it's very difficult to see how those who have cheered for Obama's foreign policy could do anything but cheer for Israeli militarism, as they are grounded in the same premises.

But pretending that the US - and the Obama administration - bear no responsibility for what is taking place is sheer self-delusion, total fiction. It has long been the case that the central enabling fact in Israeli lawlessness and aggression is blind US support, and that continues, more than ever, to be the case under the presidency of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner.

The US is not some neutral, uninvolved party. Whatever side of this conflict you want to defend - or if you're one of those people who love to announce that you just wish the whole thing would go away - it's still necessary to take responsibility for the key role played by the American government and this administration in enabling everything that is taking place.

Media coverage

Due to extensive travel the past few days, I've been subjected to far more television news coverage than is probably healthy, and it's just been staggering to see how tilted US media discourse is: Israeli officials and pro-Israel "experts" are endlessly paraded across the screen while Palestinian voices are exceedingly rare; the fact of the 45-year-old brutal occupation and ongoing Israeli dominion over Gaza is barely mentioned; meanwhile, every primitive rocket that falls harmlessly near Israeli soil is trumpeted with screaming headlines while the carnage and terror in Gaza is mentioned, if at all, as an afterthought. Two cartoons perfectly summarize this coverage: here and here. On a related note, the Nation's Jeremy Scahill was interviewed on Tuesday night after a Sundance Institute panel on political documentaries which I moderated. Scahill, who is working on a documentary entitled "Dirty Wars" about the US violence in Yemen and other parts of the Muslim world, spoke for 12 minutes to We Are Change about Obama's terrorism and foreign policies; I highly recommend it:

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

BUMP!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM

BUMP!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM
5 moms liked this

So why is Hamas still lobbing rockets at Israel? Do they like seeing their babies wounded ... or just like photo ops to try and garner sympathy they don't deserve.

What Israel is doing is retaliatory ~ Hamas did eta *start this*, and now they are howling (as usual) because they keep throwing rockets at people who are better armed and determined to survive in spite of the neverending chanting to see them eliminated from the human race.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Quoting Farmlady09:

So why is Hamas still lobbing rockets at Israel? Do they like seeing their babies wounded ... or just like photo ops to try and garner sympathy they don't deserve.

What Israel is doing is retaliatory ~ Hamas did eta *start this*, and now they are howling (as usual) because they keep throwing rockets at people who are better armed and determined to survive in spite of the neverending chanting to see them eliminated from the human race.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting muslimahpj:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Yes, I do. You just don't like my attitude about it. You don't have to ~ and I don't have to refrain from adding 'the other side' of this that your articles never do.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

In reflexive defense of Israel, the US government thus once against put itself squarely at odds with key nations such as Turkey (whose prime minister accused Israel of being motivated by elections and demanded that Israel be "held to account" for mounting civilians deaths), Egypt (which denounced Israeli attacks as "aggression against humanity"), and Tunisia (which called on the world to "stop the blatant aggression" of Israel).

This is why we will see WWIII soon.

jo1570
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM

The US is involved in both sides.  Our foreign policy is contorted, deceitful, and dishonest and not just in the middle east.  Don't believe the sound bites on TV - good or bad.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM
5 moms liked this

So ... what's up with Hamas continuing to fire after signing a cease-fire? Sounds like Hamas was lying to me, and hoping to kill off a few more Israeli citizens ~ and no one supporting them says squat.

I'd put down good money that if Israel had retaliated, AGAIN, because of Hamas rockets, there are some here who would keep right on blaming Israel and/or the US and ignore the fact that Hamas keeps right on lying and targeting/killing civilians.

If Israel glassed the entire Gaza strip at this point I don't think it would register more than a momentary hiccup on my give-a-damn meter. 

When will the rest of the Arab world call on the world to stop the blatant aggression of Hamas? If those countries won't, and the rest of the world keeps telling Israel to bend over and take it, the rest of the world deserves WWIII imo.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
3 moms liked this

You need to educate yourself.

The Palestinians are human beings.  Christians, Muslims, and Jews.  They have been under a very brutal occupation for decades now living in conditions that don't exist in your worst nightmare, and if you think Hamas is always the one starting agrressions, I have a bridge to sell you.

If Israel gassed Gaza, killing over 1.7 million people (half of whom are under the age of 18) and it doesn't register with you, and you don't care why and don't bother to investigate, then you need to check your morals and priorities at the door.

It's attitudes like this that are so disheartening.  Nobody wants to actually go learn.  Nobody cares.

Which, I guess, was the point of the article.

Quoting Farmlady09:

So ... what's up with Hamas continuing to fire after signing a cease-fire? Sounds like Hamas was lying to me, and hoping to kill off a few more Israeli citizens ~ and no one supporting them says squat.

I'd put down good money that if Israel had retaliated, AGAIN, because of Hamas rockets, there are some here who would keep right on blaming Israel and/or the US and ignore the fact that Hamas keeps right on lying and targeting/killing civilians.

If Israel glassed the entire Gaza strip at this point I don't think it would register more than a momentary hiccup on my give-a-damn meter. 

When will the rest of the Arab world call on the world to stop the blatant aggression of Hamas? If those countries won't, and the rest of the world keeps telling Israel to bend over and take it, the rest of the world deserves WWIII imo.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm well aware of the fact that Palestinians are human beings ~ I just wish they would start acting like they knew that Israelis are human beings.

Palestine lost that land. Several times the 'world', including Israel, has tried to give at least part of it back, and they only used it to toss more rockets at Israel. Every time there is a cease fire, Hamas (and/or another terrorist group) breaks it. Hamas steals the aid sent in for Palestinian people and sells/trades it for more rockets. The word that I would prefer to use in reference to them is banned here, but it begins with an r.

I'm not the one who has problems comprehending this. You need to send your message to Palestine, because they haven't gotten it in over 60 years. They are still howling for the utter destruction of Israel. They haven't done squat to build a country or take care of their people.

Like it or not ~ and particularly if WWIII does break out ~ Israel will quite likely eliminate them ... pretty much the same way any sane person removes a thorn. They could have done so many times over, but they haven't.

Have ANY of you sitting here condemning Israel bothered to ask yourselves 'why not'?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

You need to educate yourself.

The Palestinians are human beings.  Christians, Muslims, and Jews.  They have been under a very brutal occupation for decades now living in conditions that don't exist in your worst nightmare, and if you think Hamas is always the one starting agrressions, I have a bridge to sell you.

If Israel gassed Gaza, killing over 1.7 million people (half of whom are under the age of 18) and it doesn't register with you, and you don't care why and don't bother to investigate, then you need to check your morals and priorities at the door.

It's attitudes like this that are so disheartening.  Nobody wants to actually go learn.  Nobody cares.

Which, I guess, was the point of the article.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN