Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you want your kid, or need, your kid out of your house. **EDITED***

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 36 Replies

EDIT:  This is not my son.  I only have daughters.  This is about my great nephew.  I thought perhaps some one might have a suggestion that I could pass on to my niece.  Just to give an idea of how bad this kid is, I would never allow him any where near my home or my children.****

You have a 17 year old son who, for most of his life, has been difficult, at best.  Was diagnosed with ADHD at about age 6.  

From every thing to starting small fires at school and at home, to being extremely rude, crude, mean and disrespectful.  Over the top.  

You have tried every thing you can think of, from counseling to home life to school and even church.  He sits in counseling, says nothing but laughs, telling the therapist he cares about nothing.  Send him to prison, he will have meals provided. 

Lately he is back to starting fires.  Expelled from school.  Cannot be trusted and has even burnt the paw of the family cat.  Has threatened to kill you and then laughs, telling you he is almost 18, just wait until then.

You have had the police at your house many times.  The therapist, doctors, every one tells you they are at their wits end.

Meds he has been on most of his life have been adjusted and such over the years.  He refuses to take any. 

You are completely at your wits end.  You take him to a mental facility, asking that they please evaluate him, for his own good.  They do.  They interview him for an hour.  They speak to you and your husband.  His sister who is a few years older and out of the house.  

They tell you there is nothing they can do, he does not appear to be a danger to himself of any one else. He is your responsibility.

What the hell do you do now?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sondamom0828
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Can you have juvenile hall take him?

Brooklynsmom119
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Pray if you are the praying type, if not I will pray for you

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Boot camp? Stop providing everything but food, water, and shelter? I have no idea.... If this is where you are I am sooo sorry. 

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM
My sister and I have this discussion all the time. She works for juvenile detainment and probation in our city. She sayd ultimately you are responsible fir the kid until 18 even despite being a danger to others in your home. I am appaulled that judges let juveniles off so easily after established record of offense. I wish I had the answer. From what she tells me....I am worried when my 3 boys are teenagers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Quoting sondamom0828:

Can you have juvenile hall take him?

I should have stated that this is not about my son.  I only have daughters.

This is my great nephew.  

I thought if I threw this out here maybe some one may have a suggestion that I could pass on to my niece that may prove helpful.

He has committed one crime on the base they live on.  He paid a fine and if he does any thing again he will be removed and banned from the base for a year.  The family won't be, his mother and step-father, but he will be.

The local police are not involved in this.  The other times the police have been involved where prior to the move to the base they live on now.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

How long until he his 18?

I am so sorry that your life is in a rough spot. Is he medicated and if so, is he compliant?

He's starting fires yet deemed safe? Um, no.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM
How long til he turns 18?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

How long until he his 18?

I am so sorry that your life is in a rough spot. Is he medicated and if so, is he compliant?

He's starting fires yet deemed safe? Um, no.

I apologize for not stating this is not my child.  I didn't even think about that. *sigh*

He will be 18 on April 1st.

He has never been compliant, not a day in his life.  

I honestly think there should have been another diagnosis and am some what surprised there hasn't been.

This kid is evil. He is manipulative and scares the crap out of me.  Always has.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Ktina11:

How long til he turns 18?

April 1st.

I read your previous post.  Thanks for replying.

My niece is beside herself.  It has taken a lot of restraint for her husband not to knock this kid in to next week.  Which we all know is not what he should do and just thinking that could be deemed highly inappropriate, to say the least.  But that is how bad it is. 

sondamom0828
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Boot Camp for troubled teens?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured