Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is wonderful!

Quoting UpSheRises:

I'm going to work on Friday, without pay, to make care packages for families.

Waaaay better than getting a good deal on an hdtv or BOGO at bath and body works. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It's not as altruistic as it sounds, unfortunately. My office is filled to the brim with donations and it's making me crazy...i can barely move in and out. Friday will be a nice, quite day with little to no staff to interrupt me.

I mean, i'm happy to do something nice for other people but i'm doing something nice for me too.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I think that is wonderful!

Quoting UpSheRises:

I'm going to work on Friday, without pay, to make care packages for families.

Waaaay better than getting a good deal on an hdtv or BOGO at bath and body works. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I'll be working friday, keeping your ports safe;). Even if I wasn't working, I would NOT go anywhere on Friday. I hate shopping any time of the year...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never been shopping on black Friday or even the weekend after thanksgiving. We usually have a lot of family in town and we chose to stay home and enjoy each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yes, it is actually more work to do the home-made thing.  It's more meaningful, IMO.  We really appreciate it.  The gifts get really overwhelming and stressful, it just gets to be so many gifts and really hard to get something that everyone likes.  Grandma gets the kids gifts, though, she loves it, so I usually buy something for her and my dad.  But it is actually very fun and Christmas-y to give people hand-made stuff.  Tell those lazy losers they are missing out!

Quoting UpSheRises:

Me too. I'm shooting for groceries only.

I tried to institute to handmade only rule as well but my family is full of lazy losers.

Quoting muslimahpj:

I refuse to go to the stores on black friday and I am going to do my best to stay out of them until after the new year.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I avoid shopping like the plague on Black Friday.  I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than go to a crowded store in the middle of the night to fight for a deal on something I don't really need.  

We have a "home-made presents only" rule for my extended family.  I will get my kids and hubs few things but I don't get crazy, and we don't do Santa because the kids and hubs are Muslim.  So basically I just make chocolate covered toffee for three days straight, and spend an afternoon picking gifts for the girls and hubs and that's it.

It's very relaxing, actually.

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Like...2 of these things have to do with black friday. Had potential...didn't meet it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't be setting foot in a store on black Friday. Blech!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I do just about eveything on that list. Maybe not in that order or at this time of year. Permafrost makes planting trees kinda hard. 

purplerobin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Quoting dustinsmom1:

A Walmart strike? How stupid, I hope they all lose their jobs. My SO wont be striking, he needs his job. You have a choice, if you don't want to work holidays, weekends, nights etc...don't work retail.

I hope Walmart goes out of business. It is a disgusting corporation with zero morals.

azaz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)