Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
Devious333
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I don't see that happening in my lifetime...and I need my job for another 2 years lol.

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

A Walmart strike? How stupid, I hope they all lose their jobs. My SO wont be striking, he needs his job. You have a choice, if you don't want to work holidays, weekends, nights etc...don't work retail.

I hope Walmart goes out of business. It is a disgusting corporation with zero morals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Lol, I completely agree.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

A Walmart strike? How stupid, I hope they all lose their jobs. My SO wont be striking, he needs his job. You have a choice, if you don't want to work holidays, weekends, nights etc...don't work retail.

purplerobin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Devious333:

I don't see that happening in my lifetime...and I need my job for another 2 years lol.

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I hope Walmart goes out of business. It is a disgusting corporation with zero morals.

I understand what you're saying....but that doesn't change the fact that if Walmart WERE to go out of business America would benefit tremendously. Their prices really aren't even that impressive honestly. I can get better bargains at Costco or shopping Safeway sales and stacking coupons.

Walmart either needs unions, to pay higher wages, or to go out of business.

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Good luck with that, I don't see that happening anytime soon. What you're wishing is for thousands to lose jobs they need and some actually want. I'd love to see our economy then. That would be the breaking point for the global economy.

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting dustinsmom1:

Devious333
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Well for me I live in a small town. It's Albertsons, which is pricey, or another local store, where a box of cereal costs $5, or walmart. I'd have to drive 2 hours to shop at Costco.
Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I understand what you're saying....but that doesn't change the fact that if Walmart WERE to go out of business America would benefit tremendously. Their prices really aren't even that impressive honestly. I can get better bargains at Costco or shopping Safeway sales and stacking coupons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I wont be shopping. My husband and I will be sitting around eating left overs and playing Black Ops 2!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

1. I have work all week, including Thursday and Friday. No shopping will be had lol.

2. I'm horrible at making things.

3. I hate Walmart, but I won't be joining any lines.

4. I don't have a bank account. Haven't in a couple of years :). 

5. Already do. 

6. Still researching this. 

7. This isn't one of my charities. Sorry. 

8. I support our Vets. 

9. I've tried this multiple times but can't make it habitual! Ugh!

10. Always support small, local business! I'm a total advocate! 

11. I don't really trust the news anymore.

12. I am not familiar with these products. 

purplerobin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Quoting Devious333:

Well for me I live in a small town. It's Albertsons, which is pricey, or another local store, where a box of cereal costs $5, or walmart. I'd have to drive 2 hours to shop at Costco.
Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I hear ya! We are an hour away from a Costco, but it's a winding drive. Check out Krazycouponlady.com before you shop. Sometimes there are good deals to be had at Albertsons.

purplerobin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Quoting Ultra_:

Good luck with that, I don't see that happening anytime soon. What you're wishing is for thousands to lose jobs they need and some actually want. I'd love to see our economy then. That would be the breaking point for the global economy.

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting dustinsmom1:

What I'm wishing for is living wage jobs. Sure some people actually want them-a crappy job is better than no jobs at all, but Walmart is costing communitie far more than it  contributes. Many workers cannot afford the benefits, and a good number of them are on PA.

You'd love to see our economy then? The people who are shopping at Walmart would just bring their business to other stores, thus increasing the demand and need for other jobs. We may see something, like.....people shopping at Costco where you can actually find things made in USA--and cheaper than Walmart much if not most of the time.

Annnndddddd.......if we didn't have Walmart, China would likely have less of a slave-labor, substandard-quality merchandise monopoly. (I realize not all things made in China are crap-quality but too much of it is. And if we are willing to buy soooo much made in China, it wouldn't kill THEM to give American made goods some business too.)

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Yes everything would be awesome, theoretically, MAYBE ten years after all the crap they went through. It's a nice thought, but not going to happen. If we didn't have Walmart, we'd have another one pop up. You're still wishing for about a million people to go through something very hard and traumatic. Also their employees are also customers, so there is a large chunk of people who can't take their business elsewhere because they have no money to spend. Wherever the rest of us DID go, would jump at the opportunity to become the next Walmart.

Free enterprise has pros and cons. If we wanted to keep a chain small enough to prevent another Walmart, we have to adopt another economic system for America. Still wouldn't stop it from happening elsewhere. There will always be those willing to exploit and those willing to be exploited. 

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting Ultra_:

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting dustinsmom1:

What I'm wishing for is living wage jobs. Sure some people actually want them-a crappy job is better than no jobs at all, but Walmart is costing communitie far more than it  contributes. Many workers cannot afford the benefits, and a good number of them are on PA.

You'd love to see our economy then? The people who are shopping at Walmart would just bring their business to other stores, thus increasing the demand and need for other jobs. We may see something, like.....people shopping at Costco where you can actually find things made in USA--and cheaper than Walmart much if not most of the time.

Annnndddddd.......if we didn't have Walmart, China would likely have less of a slave-labor, substandard-quality merchandise monopoly. (I realize not all things made in China are crap-quality but too much of it is. And if we are willing to buy soooo much made in China, it wouldn't kill THEM to give American made goods some business too.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)