Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Replies (31-35):
purplerobin
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Quoting Ultra_:

Yes everything would be awesome, theoretically, MAYBE ten years after all the crap they went through. It's a nice thought, but not going to happen. If we didn't have Walmart, we'd have another one pop up. You're still wishing for about a million people to go through something very hard and traumatic. Also their employees are also customers, so there is a large chunk of people who can't take their business elsewhere because they have no money to spend. Wherever the rest of us DID go, would jump at the opportunity to become the next Walmart.

Free enterprise has pros and cons. If we wanted to keep a chain small enough to prevent another Walmart, we have to adopt another economic system for America. Still wouldn't stop it from happening elsewhere. There will always be those willing to exploit and those willing to be exploited. 

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting Ultra_:

Good luck with that, I don't see that happening anytime soon. What you're wishing is for thousands to lose jobs they need and some actually want. I'd love to see our economy then. That would be the breaking point for the global economy.

Quoting purplerobin:
Quoting dustinsmom1:

A Walmart strike? How stupid, I hope they all lose their jobs. My SO wont be striking, he needs his job. You have a choice, if you don't want to work holidays, weekends, nights etc...don't work retail.

I hope Walmart goes out of business. It is a disgusting corporation with zero morals.

What I'm wishing for is living wage jobs. Sure some people actually want them-a crappy job is better than no jobs at all, but Walmart is costing communitie far more than it  contributes. Many workers cannot afford the benefits, and a good number of them are on PA.

You'd love to see our economy then? The people who are shopping at Walmart would just bring their business to other stores, thus increasing the demand and need for other jobs. We may see something, like.....people shopping at Costco where you can actually find things made in USA--and cheaper than Walmart much if not most of the time.

Annnndddddd.......if we didn't have Walmart, China would likely have less of a slave-labor, substandard-quality merchandise monopoly. (I realize not all things made in China are crap-quality but too much of it is. And if we are willing to buy soooo much made in China, it wouldn't kill THEM to give American made goods some business too.)

I'm wishing for a million people to go through something hard and traumatic?? Excuse you but do NOT put words in my mouth. I highly doubt that it would take 10 years for things to change. Other businesses would just get the business that Walmart does. It's not like Walmart is the only place you can get the stuff they sell, hell, you could shop online for similar prices if nothing is in the area.

There wasn't some big economic crisis when Kmart closed a bunch of stores OR when Mervyns went out of business. Folks just shopped at.....DIFFERENT STORES. Simple concept.

If Walmart paid living wages, (like Costco does), I wouldn't have a problem with it. Don't want to get rid of Walmart? Fine. Unionize them then. Not that unions are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but at least there'd be a voice for the employees.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Go to stores or shop online? You have to be kidding me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Oh good gracious now you remind me I need to get on those creations for all the kids crap. 

I understand the Walmart thing but why should we do that to companies who deserve our business after all Walmart is not the only one doing sales.

Yet a point they missed were the new blood crystals we should not support. So, if it has quarts make sure it is conflict free. Good luck buying that cell phone or computer.

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I find it hysterical how many people bitch about Walmart, pretty much every other big corp is run the exact same way. People say "oh I'll shop elsewhere" when their policies are similar or exactly the same as walmart.

Too many people want something for nothing. They have no experience, no schooling and want big pay and awesome benefits. That's not how it works. You want that, go to school, get yourself a really good degree then you can demand those things. Until then, stfu. 

I would love to see more American made products, but we simply cant make them as cheaply as they do over seas and no one wants or can pay more.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Also, if you really look into it, those "big black Friday sales", aren't always such good deals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN