Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ObamaCare Consequences? Orlando Health to cut record number of jobs to save money

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

Reduction of 400 jobs will help position system for health-care overhaul, officials says. 

In the largest staff reduction in its nearly 100-year history, Orlando Health is cutting up to 400 jobs starting immediately, hospital system officials announced Monday.

The move is part of a broader effort to position the hospital system for the health-care overhaul, CEO Sherrie Sitarik said.

The elimination of jobs will occur in two phases and represents a 2 percent to 3 percent reduction in the system's 16,000-person work force, said Orlando Health spokeswoman Kena Lewis. The cuts affect all departments and all eight of the system's hospitals, including Orlando Regional Medical Center and Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, two of the system's better-known facilities.

Orlando Health officials called the cost-cutting moves necessary.

"Health-care reform mandates and changes in reimbursement structures for Medicare and Medicaid are forcing health-care organizations throughout the U.S. to confront new challenges," Sitarik said. "We must find better ways to deliver enhanced value to patients and lower the overall cost of care."

Such cost-cutting measures are happening across the country. On Wednesday, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina announced that it would cut 950 jobs by June.  

Last month, Louisiana State University announced it would cut 1,495 positions as well as programs across its seven hospitals to trim more than $150 million from its budget.

"It's a challenging time for hospitals," said John Bigalke, senior partner of global health care forDeloitte, one of the nation's largest professional services firms.

Hospitals are looking at an $800 billion to $900 billion reduction in Medicare payments over the next 10 years, along with reductions in Medicaid payments, he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-orlando-health-layoffs-20121116,0,7763193.story

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh the irony, a health care delivery system is cutting positions and blaming health care costs.

You know what, when the customers are no longer employed, there will be no paying customers, business or business profit. I guess we all lose then.

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM
6 moms liked this

So if the hospitals have to cut staff, then that makes the lines longer and longer to even get to a doctor.  And then the doctor has what he is paid dictated to him and the hospitals have how much money they receive dictated to them.

The panel dictates whether or not we even GET healthcare.

What I have to pay for obummercare is dictated to me.

Sounds like a hideous dictatorship to me.

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Hospitals are looking at an $800 billion to $900 billion reduction in Medicare payments over the next 10 years, along with reductions in Medicaid payments

Quoting Sisteract:

Oh the irony, a health care delivery system is cutting positions and blaming health care costs.

You know what, when the customers are no longer employed, there will be no paying customers, business or business profit. I guess we all lose then.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Whoot!!  Whoot!! Obamacare!!  Which I guess will be medicaid when people lose their jobs.. But wait, who will pay for medicaid if less people are paying taxes? 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally, I just can't care any more. Given what O and his budgetary commission are planning to do to the military in order to dredge up a few more pennies for his blasted health care, I'm done.

At this point, either the US or the dollar can't tank soon enough. At least then the people in this country (at least those who work) can start to pick up the pieces. In the meantime, a LOT more people will be laid off, our vets and elderly will be floundering and without ANY healthcare (most family dogs will get better care), and a lot more people will do without health care. Way to go Obama.

My wish right now is that our loser Cinc, his entire budget commission, our congresscritters, and every union/federal worker are humiliatingly violated by a horny goat in a dark alley ... and have to wait in line behind all the medicaid folks and the illegals to get that booboo patched up (and I'm not sure I don't wish the same for everyone who helped reelect Obama hoping for more free stuff).

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM
5 moms liked this
They are blaming ACA but its something that hospitals have actually been doing for the last 10 years becoming patient centric the WAY it SHOULD have been from the begining it really has NOTHING to do with ACA its the scapegoat, we the US pay MORE for health care then ALL other 1st world countried combined and pp medicaid is a 50/50 thing the STATES foot part of the bill as well Oh thats right 47 states are running in the RED and have been way before POTUS's ACA, UNLIKE a few states that actually have BALANCED budgets and CAN meet the needs of its citizans GROW UP people even Benighner(sp) said "ObamaCare" is LAW of the LAND
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, the affordable care act that isn't affordable and is law of the land.  But the flaws in the law should be noted. 

Quoting Sat.Wed:

They are blaming ACA but its something that hospitals have actually been doing for the last 10 years becoming patient centric the WAY it SHOULD have been from the begining it really has NOTHING to do with ACA its the scapegoat, we the US pay MORE for health care then ALL other 1st world countried combined and pp medicaid is a 50/50 thing the STATES foot part of the bill as well Oh thats right 47 states are running in the RED and have been way before POTUS's ACA, UNLIKE a few states that actually have BALANCED budgets and CAN meet the needs of its citizans GROW UP people even Benighner(sp) said "ObamaCare" is LAW of the LAND

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This is happening all over in nearly every industry. I bet Obama won't be singing about his "jobs report" for a while.

pixieofchaos
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My job was just cut from full time to part time due to the upcoming changes. THANKS

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM
3 moms liked this
ACA as it stands right now will NOT be the ACA that we see fully implemented when its fully put in place this is a framework and there is room for improvement
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)