Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Must Cover Contraception For Employees, Judge Rules

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 252 Replies

Hobby Lobby Must Cover Contraception For Employees, Judge Rules

A federal judge ruled Monday night that the Hobby Lobby craft store chain must offer its 13,000 employees contraceptive coverage without a co-pay, as mandated by Obamacare.

Hobby Lobby sued to deny such coverage in September, citing conservative evangelical owner David Green’s personal religious objections to certain types of birth control that fall under Obamacare’s contraception mandate. In particular, the company sought to deny its employees coverage for the morning after pill, commonly known as Plan B.

But on Monday night, U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton denied the request in a 28-page ruling, pointing out that religious institutions have already been given exemptions from covering contraception, and that Hobby Lobby does not qualify since it is a private business:

“However, Hobby Lobby and Mardel [its partner company] are not religious organizations,” the ruling states. “Plaintiffs have not cited, and the court has not found, any case concluding that secular, for-profit corporations such as Hobby Lobby and Mardel have a constitutional right to the free exercise of religion.

Hobby Lobby’s attorney said the companies’ owners, the Green family, plan to appeal.

“Every American, including family business owners like the Greens, should be free to live and do business according to their religious beliefs,” Kyle Duncan, general counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, said in a statement.

Just last week, a different federal judge issued an injunction over the contraception mandate in Obamacare, siding with religious employers of a private company. But Judge Heaton’s assessment of the law is correct: While non-profit religious institutions are already exemptfrom the mandate, private businesses do not have the same exemption.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
11 moms liked this

Wait, Hobby Lobby isn't a church?

'Cause my mom sure acts like it is...

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I would have some pity for "the Green Family" here, except that every time I've stepped foot into a Hobby Lobby, the employees act like they hate their jobs. As well they might.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM
18 moms liked this
Your employer should not be able to dictate what medicines you should be able to take.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Tricare does it all the time depending on who won the bid. They refused the meds my ob wanted me on for ppd, until I failed again on the other options. And that's not the only time I've had to fight for meds I was already on.

Quoting ashellbell:

Your employer should not be able to dictate what medicines you should be able to take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Grrrrrr...do not get me started on Tricare lol

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Tricare does it all the time depending on who won the bid. They refused the meds my ob wanted me on for ppd, until I failed again on the other options. And that's not the only time I've had to fight for meds I was already on.

Quoting ashellbell:

DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, its about to get worse when we transfer to the new insurance in April. My sons Dr for autism had to fight to be on their list of Dr. If it's anything like metlife, it will suck.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh. I'm sorry.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Lol, its about to get worse when we transfer to the new insurance in April. My sons Dr for autism had to fight to be on their list of Dr. If it's anything like metlife, it will suck.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Thanks.

Quoting ashellbell:

Ugh. I'm sorry.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think ANYONE should be giving exceptions. If you have employees you should have to follow the same rules as everyone else and you should NEVER be allowed to force your religious beliefs on others. If you don't believe in birth control then don't take it. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM
7 moms liked this
Tricare is not the employer. I believe health insurance is ridiculously involved in medical decisions, but that is a seperate issue; lets not allow another entity (employers) in that decision making.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)