Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Must Cover Contraception For Employees, Judge Rules

Posted by   + Show Post

Hobby Lobby Must Cover Contraception For Employees, Judge Rules

A federal judge ruled Monday night that the Hobby Lobby craft store chain must offer its 13,000 employees contraceptive coverage without a co-pay, as mandated by Obamacare.

Hobby Lobby sued to deny such coverage in September, citing conservative evangelical owner David Green’s personal religious objections to certain types of birth control that fall under Obamacare’s contraception mandate. In particular, the company sought to deny its employees coverage for the morning after pill, commonly known as Plan B.

But on Monday night, U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton denied the request in a 28-page ruling, pointing out that religious institutions have already been given exemptions from covering contraception, and that Hobby Lobby does not qualify since it is a private business:

“However, Hobby Lobby and Mardel [its partner company] are not religious organizations,” the ruling states. “Plaintiffs have not cited, and the court has not found, any case concluding that secular, for-profit corporations such as Hobby Lobby and Mardel have a constitutional right to the free exercise of religion.

Hobby Lobby’s attorney said the companies’ owners, the Green family, plan to appeal.

“Every American, including family business owners like the Greens, should be free to live and do business according to their religious beliefs,” Kyle Duncan, general counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, said in a statement.

Just last week, a different federal judge issued an injunction over the contraception mandate in Obamacare, siding with religious employers of a private company. But Judge Heaton’s assessment of the law is correct: While non-profit religious institutions are already exemptfrom the mandate, private businesses do not have the same exemption.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Employers pick the packages that are included in the coverage. So yes they do have a cost factor they choose and then the insurance covers or denies.

Quoting stringtheory:

Tricare is not the employer. I believe health insurance is ridiculously involved in medical decisions, but that is a seperate issue; lets not allow another entity (employers) in that decision making.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Tricare does it all the time depending on who won the bid. They refused the meds my ob wanted me on for ppd, until I failed again on the other options. And that's not the only time I've had to fight for meds I was already on.

Quoting ashellbell:

Your employer should not be able to dictate what medicines you should be able to take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:17 AM
4 moms liked this
Ahem...YAY. WOOHOO!! nneeneerneenerrneenerrr. Psbbpssbbbtt!

So boom upside your head, you sanctimonious jerks. It serves you right since y'all decided to use your faith as a bludgeoning instrument of political posturing and assertion of your will on others instead of your personal path to god.

Very lucky this attempt was stopped, now it is only chick stuff that businesses are going after. If they succeeded in eliminating birth control coverage for religious reasons, it would not be long before other groups went after other things, expensive medical procedures or medications under the guise of moral outrage.

Scientologists own a business or two and think anti psychotic and anti depressants as well as any counseling are wastes of money and akin to paying the village witch doctor to chant at you. So that won't be covered. That is a heavy burden to carry if you are already paying for medical coverage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:37 AM
2 moms liked this

On the bright side of all of this, people will finally know what the position of such stores are and can take their cash elsewhere or support the store if they want.

punky3175
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:58 AM
Oh how I've missed your posts. :-)
Quoting AdrianneHill:

Ahem...YAY. WOOHOO!! nneeneerneenerrneenerrr. Psbbpssbbbtt!

So boom upside your head, you sanctimonious jerks. It serves you right since y'all decided to use your faith as a bludgeoning instrument of political posturing and assertion of your will on others instead of your personal path to god.

Very lucky this attempt was stopped, now it is only chick stuff that businesses are going after. If they succeeded in eliminating birth control coverage for religious reasons, it would not be long before other groups went after other things, expensive medical procedures or medications under the guise of moral outrage.

Scientologists own a business or two and think anti psychotic and anti depressants as well as any counseling are wastes of money and akin to paying the village witch doctor to chant at you. So that won't be covered. That is a heavy burden to carry if you are already paying for medical coverage.
Aslen
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM
Thats not just tricare sweetie. Thats all insurance companies. Plus, your ob must have done a prior authorization for your meds to be covered. Also, are.you employed by tricare? Because if not your response makes no sense.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Tricare does it all the time depending on who won the bid. They refused the meds my ob wanted me on for ppd, until I failed again on the other options. And that's not the only time I've had to fight for meds I was already on.

Quoting ashellbell:

Your employer should not be able to dictate what medicines you should be able to take.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Where are the "choice" supporters? I think if a company doesn't want to cover certain benefits then that is their right. On a side note, personal religious beliefs should never be a factor in making decisions of this nature unless the company has made it clear of their affiliation. Example; You wouldn't expect a catholic hospital to cover abortions or ivf.
DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM
The DOD selected the plan and coverages that Tricare will or won't cover as all companies do that. Plus with Tricare prime the only pre authorizations I need is for treatments off base, not meds, never in 17 yrs. There are some they won't cover period! You can pay out of pocket off base, but they will not be covered by the clinic.

Quoting Aslen:

Thats not just tricare sweetie. Thats all insurance companies. Plus, your ob must have done a prior authorization for your meds to be covered. Also, are.you employed by tricare? Because if not your response makes no sense.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting ashellbell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyG1976
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

IF we allow them to get away with saying they dont want the Insurance comp to cover something becuase they dont believe in it we open the doors for every company to deny different treatments and meds as they can say its against my religion to use it so I dont want my employees to...

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

So why hasn't that been happening with most employers already?

Quoting AmyG1976:

IF we allow them to get away with saying they dont want the Insurance comp to cover something becuase they dont believe in it we open the doors for every company to deny different treatments and meds as they can say its against my religion to use it so I dont want my employees to...

GLWerth
by Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes. This exactly.

First it's birth control pills (a prescribed medication), next it will be cancer therapy (God gave you that cancer, you should accept it), treatment for Diabetes (you'd be fine if you'd eat better), high blood pressure....if you look hard enough, you can find an excuse to deny nearly anything.

Quoting AmyG1976:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN