Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Many Millionaires Live in the "Impoverished" Gaza Strip?

Posted by   + Show Post

An interesing viewpoint on Gaza.....

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3308/gaza-millionaires

How Many Millionaires Live in the "Impoverished" Gaza Strip?

by Khaled Abu Toameh
August 30, 2012 at 4:30 am

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3308/gaza-millionaires

Print Send Comment RSS

If the Egyptian army succeeds in demolishing the underground smuggling tunnels that keep Hamas running, it could mark the end of the Islamists' rule over the Gaza Strip. But if Egypt's new president, Mohamed Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood tie the hands of the Egyptian army's generals and keep them from completing the mission, Hamas will become even stronger and wealthier.

The world often thinks of the Gaza Strip, home to 1.4 million Palestinians, as one of the poorest places on earth, where people live in misery and squalor.

But according to an investigative report published in the pan-Arab newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat, there are at least 600 millionaires living in the Gaza Strip. The newspaper report also refutes the claim that the Gaza Strip has been facing a humanitarian crisis because of an Israeli blockade.

Mohammed Dahlan, the former Palestinian Authority security commander of the Gaza Strip, further said last week that Hamas was the only party that was laying siege to the Gaza Strip; that it is Hamas, and not Israel or Egypt, that is strangling and punishing the people there.

The Palestinian millionaires, according to the report, have made their wealth thanks to the hundreds of underground tunnels along the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.

Informed Palestinian sources revealed that every day, in addition to weapons, thousands of tons of fuel, medicine, various types of merchandise, vehicles, electrical appliances, drugs, medicine and cigarettes are smuggled into the Gaza Strip through more than 400 tunnels. A former Sudanese government official who visited the Gaza Strip lately was quoted as saying that he found basic goods that were not available in Sudan. Almost all the tunnels are controlled by the Hamas government, which has established a special commission to oversee the smuggling business, which makes the Hamas government the biggest benefactor of the smuggling industry.

Palestinians estimate that 25% of the Hamas government's budget comes from taxes imposed on the owners of the underground tunnels.

For example, Hamas has imposed a 25% tax and a $2000 fee on every car that is smuggled into the Gaza Strip. Hamas also charges $15 dollars for each ton of cement, eight cents for a pack of cigarettes and 50 cents for each liter of fuel smuggled through the tunnels.

For Hamas, the Palestinian sources said, the tunnels are a matter of life or death.

Now, however, Hamas is facing a huge crisis as the Egyptian authorities plan to regain control over Sinai in the aftermath of the recent killing of 16 Egyptian border guards by unidentified terrorists.

The Egyptian army appears to be determined to destroy the underground tunnels out of fear that they are being used to smuggle not only goods and fuel, but also Islamist terrorists who pose a threat to Egypt's national security.

At this stage, however, it is not clear whether Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood President, Mohamed Morsi, would allow his army to cut off one of Hamas's main sources of income. Morsi's policy thus far has been to embrace and strengthen Hamas at the expense of the Western-backed Palestinian Authority in the West Bank.

If the Egyptian army succeeds in its anti-terror security crackdown in Sinai, including the demolition of all the underground tunnels that keep Hamas running, it could mark the beginning of the end of the Islamist movement's rule over the Gaza Strip. But if Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood tie the hands of their generals and prevent them from completing the mission, Hamas will become even stronger and wealthier.

Related Topics: Khaled Abu Toamehreceive the latest by email: subscribe to the free gatestone institute mailing list

Here is a link to the author's bio as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaled_Abu_Toameh

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (71-80):
survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Here's an interesting tidbit too, since apparently the number of millionaires is important.

According to World Wealth Report 2005, number of Israeli millionaires per capita is twice world average.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3265343,00.html

There are millionaires all over the world. As a matter of fact, one of the major issues going on right now in our country is about the Fiscal Cliff. People want to raise taxes on the wealthy to help the Poor and Middle Class. Where is the outrage at the millionaires in Gaza to use their money to help its impoverished citizens?

According to your article they ARE helping Gaza by smuggling in the goods that are helping them survive during the siege Israel has imposed upon them. 

Where is your outrage that Israel has twice as many millionaires as the world average while the U.S. funds their military?  Nowhere?  That's where mine is.   The number of millionaires means jack squat on either side.   Except for biased people who try and use it as justification for Israels actions while turning a blind eye to the other side of the coin.

I don't have outrage at any millionaires. Israel won the land in a war, (not to mention the previous history before that). Israel does not initiate conflict but rather defends herself consistently from those who not only refuse to acknowledge the State of Israel, but constantly lob missiles and rockets in an attempt to annihilate the Jews. I think the blind eye looks the other way with regard to those facts.

Lol.   I don't want to shock you or anything.  But nobody has missed your bias.    You smack people over the head with it every time you post.

I admit, my bias leans toward Israel. The same way you are biased against it.

I grew up biased to Isreal.  Once I bagan to apply a critical thought process it became clear that all I had known as truth was not true. and what I had been told was righteous was very far from it.

I do not hate Isreal.  My family has visited there.  I simply cannot support what they are doing.

Well, I suppose we have to agree to disagree. As I continue to apply a critical thought process and research a variety of sources, I am even more certain in my beliefs about Israel and her right to defend herself.

as long as I see wrongs posted and praised here I will continue to argue agianst it.  Agreeing to disagree will not end it. 

Read that PDF about how Isreal treated those activists on the floatilla.  Its a UN report that seems pretty fair.  If you believe IDF acted in a moral fashion then I fear you are terribly wrong and I will continue to speak out about it.

You are free to post about things you feel are wrong. I am just saying we obviously don't see eye-to-eye on this issue so I see no need to continue to debate it with you. I am trying to be respectul and move on to another subject.

You have not debated here but rather posted a lot of opinion.  I have directed you to information posted by another that you seem to wish to ignore. Others have posted fact.  You wish to say 'i believe what I believe and thats that  LOL  A debate contains opinion it is true but facts play a major role as well

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

SuperChicken
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Here's an interesting tidbit too, since apparently the number of millionaires is important.

According to World Wealth Report 2005, number of Israeli millionaires per capita is twice world average.

There are millionaires all over the world. As a matter of fact, one of the major issues going on right now in our country is about the Fiscal Cliff. People want to raise taxes on the wealthy to help the Poor and Middle Class. Where is the outrage at the millionaires in Gaza to use their money to help its impoverished citizens?

According to your article they ARE helping Gaza by smuggling in the goods that are helping them survive during the siege Israel has imposed upon them. 

Where is your outrage that Israel has twice as many millionaires as the world average while the U.S. funds their military?  Nowhere?  That's where mine is.   The number of millionaires means jack squat on either side.   Except for biased people who try and use it as justification for Israels actions while turning a blind eye to the other side of the coin.

I don't have outrage at any millionaires. Israel won the land in a war, (not to mention the previous history before that). Israel does not initiate conflict but rather defends herself consistently from those who not only refuse to acknowledge the State of Israel, but constantly lob missiles and rockets in an attempt to annihilate the Jews. I think the blind eye looks the other way with regard to those facts.

Lol.   I don't want to shock you or anything.  But nobody has missed your bias.    You smack people over the head with it every time you post.

Yes, my opinion of Israel has gone down since Operation Cast Lead and the murder of people on the flotillas.   Before that, I was singing your tune.    After that, I did more research into WHY Hamas would lob rockets.    They're not lobbing rockets because they like fireworks.  They are resisting an armed, violent and oppressive occupation.     It's a vicious circle.

Do you agree Israel won the land in the war and should be recognized as a state?

I believe Israel is already recognized as a state.  They are a member of the UN are they not?

With regards to land, I don't have a firm answer anymore.  It's more complicated than Israel won so they get do what ever they want.   Much of the land "won" has been returned in return for peace, much like what happens during other wars.   In addition, I believe that if Israel truly wants peace (which I believe the PEOPLE of Israel want), they have to stop destroying the homes and businesses of those they say they want peace with.    Even our own government, which pretty much finances Israel, doesn't recognize Israel's sovereignty over Gaza.   And Israel itself has withdrawn it's troops from the Gaza strip and says Gaza is under the government of Hamas.   (unless they invade again, I guess).

SuperChicken
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sneffy014:

I think they are a state but that does not negate the human rights of the Palestinians, nor does it give Isreal the moral latitude to desecrate all that they care about (ie cemeterys, sacred places, homes.)

If you agree Israel is a state, then wouldn't you agree a state has defined borders? If Hamas will not recognize the State of Israel and its charter calls for the extermination of Israel and the Jews, shouldn't Israel be allowed to defend her borders?

There is a difference between defending borders and oppressing people.

Helwa
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM
If I hit the nail on the head then why are you so worried about Israel when in comparison to Palestine the suffering of Israelis is nothing?

One experience of inhumanity does not negate a different experience of inhumanity.

Would you be happy if things in Palestine deteriorated to an equal point of Sudan s suffering?

If you are so worried about suffering in the world why post so much about Israel? Why aren't you posting about Sudan? Israelis have it better than most people in the world.

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting Helwa:

Sudan is in an even worse state than Palestine. Just because that is a fact does not mean Palestine is not in terrible, inhumane circumstances. What do you think life is like in Sudan that this should be such a profound comment? Al Sudan has been in a state of war about as long as Palestine, yet Palestine and it's neighbors are much more developed than Sudan and most of it's neighbors have ever been. A more desolate country with their own corruption problems are not whom I would want to be using as a source.

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting Helwa:

Seems a little silly to think there are no millionaires in poor areas of the world.

I have a question, is this Millions in American dollars or the local currency? Are you sure Hamas charges it's taxes in American dollars as the article seems to say? 1 million Egyptian pounds is 163,699 USD. 1 Million Israeli Sheqel is $255,741 USD.

Of course there are millionaires all over the world. However, why aren't people screaming for those millionaires to help the poor people like they are here in the United States? I don't know the U.S. equivalent of the $$ in the article. There are important points though that I find very interesting and counters much of the propaganda posted by others in this group:

But according to an investigative report published in the pan-Arab newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat, there are at least 600 millionaires living in the Gaza Strip. The newspaper report also refutes the claim that the Gaza Strip has been facing a humanitarian crisis because of an Israeli blockade.

Mohammed Dahlan, the former Palestinian Authority security commander of the Gaza Strip, further said last week that Hamas was the only party that was laying siege to the Gaza Strip; that it is Hamas, and not Israel or Egypt, that is strangling and punishing the people there.

The Palestinian millionaires, according to the report, have made their wealth thanks to the hundreds of underground tunnels along the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.

Informed Palestinian sources revealed that every day, in addition to weapons, thousands of tons of fuel, medicine, various types of merchandise, vehicles, electrical appliances, drugs, medicine and cigarettes are smuggled into the Gaza Strip through more than 400 tunnels. A former Sudanese government official who visited the Gaza Strip lately was quoted as saying that he found basic goods that were not available in Sudan. Almost all the tunnels are controlled by the Hamas government, which has established a special commission to oversee the smuggling business, which makes the Hamas government the biggest benefactor of the smuggling industry.

No, you actually hit the nail on the head with your comment. People live in much worse conditions than in Gaza. That was the point of this article, to debunk all the propaganda posted about Israel. Supplies are getting into Gaza( even if some of it is through illegal tunnels) and Hamas is the one strangling and punishing the people that live there, not Israel.

War is ugly. There will always be innocent civilians caught in the crossfire. A sad reality on both sides.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

I grew up biased to Isreal.  Once I bagan to apply a critical thought process it became clear that all I had known as truth was not true. and what I had been told was righteous was very far from it.

I do not hate Isreal.  My family has visited there.  I simply cannot support what they are doing.

Well, I suppose we have to agree to disagree. As I continue to apply a critical thought process and research a variety of sources, I am even more certain in my beliefs about Israel and her right to defend herself.

as long as I see wrongs posted and praised here I will continue to argue agianst it.  Agreeing to disagree will not end it. 

Read that PDF about how Isreal treated those activists on the floatilla.  Its a UN report that seems pretty fair.  If you believe IDF acted in a moral fashion then I fear you are terribly wrong and I will continue to speak out about it.

You are free to post about things you feel are wrong. I am just saying we obviously don't see eye-to-eye on this issue so I see no need to continue to debate it with you. I am trying to be respectul and move on to another subject.

You have not debated here but rather posted a lot of opinion.  I have directed you to information posted by another that you seem to wish to ignore. Others have posted fact.  You wish to say 'i believe what I believe and thats that  LOL  A debate contains opinion it is true but facts play a major role as well

Why are your websites more factual than mine? You are choosing to parse my words of "I believe" when that is the manner I speak. I always try to be respectful and lsten to anothers view even if I don't agree.  I posted an article and not one person denied any of the facts in it. If you like, I will post a list of websites to back up my "beliefs" (facts.) However, I always recommend people do their own research and form their own opinions. My research leads me to conclude I am correct in my "beliefs". I think your research causes you to "believe" otherwise.

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Why are your websites more factual than mine? You are choosing to parse my words of "I believe" when that is the manner I speak. I always try to be respectful and lsten to anothers view even if I don't agree.  I posted an article and not one person denied any of the facts in it. If you like, I will post a list of websites to back up my "beliefs" (facts.) However, I always recommend people do their own research and form their own opinions. My research leads me to conclude I am correct in my "beliefs". I think your research causes you to "believe" otherwise.

Have you read this:  Carpy posted the link.  I personally dont see how anyone could deny that IDF acted with cruelty in their boarding and detainment of those activists

http://www.un.org/News/dh/infocus/middle_east/Gaza_Flotilla_Panel_Report.pdf

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Sneffy, you know as well as I do that Israel will not stop until it obtains all of Gaza and the West Bank, along with other dimensions in the surrounding countries.  Eretz Israel, right? 

If it could get away with it, it would eliminate every Palestinian Arab and take it all in a matter of a few weeks.  As it stands, with the International community watching so closely, it has to do it in a piece-meal fashion and that is EXACTLY its strategy.

And Dahlan is one of those 600 millionaires. 

As far as Carpy's link to CoGat, check the tonnage, liters and truck sizes, and perhaps link to more recent reports (her's is from 2010) - most recent http://www.cogat.idf.il/894-en/Matpash.aspx.  If you calculate the measures, and consider the population of Gaza, rationing HAS to exist.

For anyone interested, check this site http://www.palestineremembered.com/index.html

muslimah
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Quoting cammibear:

If Morsi joins with Hamas it just strengthens the argument that the Muslim Brotherhood cannot be trusted, there or here.

"Joins" ? Hamas is an off shoot of the Brotherhood.

Click to join

cammibear
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Yes. And? Are you saying the groups are already aligned? If so, why was Egypt placed in the neutral position of brokering a deal between Hamas and Israel?

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting cammibear:

If Morsi joins with Hamas it just strengthens the argument that the Muslim Brotherhood cannot be trusted, there or here.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Quoting cammibear:

Yes. And? Are you saying the groups are already aligned? If so, why was Egypt placed in the neutral position of brokering a deal between Hamas and Israel?

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting cammibear:

Yes they are aligned. Like I said Hamas is an off shoot of the Brotherhood.

To answer the rest of your question well I guess that is Americas way of keeping true to not "negotiating" with who they call terrorist lol.

Click to join

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured