Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anti-Thanksgiving’ potluck sparks controversy on UVA campus

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 23 Replies

An “anti-Thanksgiving potluck” planned for Monday night is stirring controversy on the University of Virginia (UVA) campus.

The event, hosted by the American Indian Student Union (AISU), aims to “discuss Thanksgiving from a Native American perspective” over a potluck dinner.

Students at the University of Virginia are holding an ‘anti-Thanksgiving’ potluck on Monday night.

The anti-Thanksgiving celebration will provide a “contrast…with the typical American view of Thanksgiving,” AISU president Katelyn Krause promised an NBC affiliate.

Krause declined an interview with Campus Reform.

Nicole Bailey, Executive-in-Chief of the conservative newspaper, The Virginia Advocate, however, told Campus Reform that she understands the intent of the group’s potluck, but disagrees with this particular event as a means to convey their message.

“They think that by doing events that put down what people understand to be modern American’s realization of the American dream and American story is a way to raise awareness about the less glamorous parts of America’s history,” said Bailey.

“That’s frankly not true,” she added.

Marian Anderfursen, Director of Media Relations for UVA, told Campus Reform that the university encourages such political dialogue on campus.

“Our students are engaged in issues and they explore a lot of different ideas and we support that,” she said.

According to their website, one of AISU’s primary objectives is to provide “an American Indian point-of-view by participating in campus debates on diversity and voicing support concerns on actions of both student government and the University administration.”

source

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Mmm, look at that turkey.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM
3 moms liked this

what you mean the white revisionist version might not be the truth. What are you afraid of Candle - better yet why are you afraid of the truth?

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM
3 moms liked this

What in the world is this woman talking about? "Put down what people understand"? Since when does raising awareness about historical events that get swept under the rug to make people feel better equal putting down? So silly. Truth is truth is truth. 

Lordgodempress
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You know I get where they are coming from, I really do BUT  every culture has some sort of Thanksgiving ritual of some kind.  We are not ( at least not anyone I know)  giving thanks because Indians were masacred and their land stolen from them.  Personally I have a lot to be thankful for that has nothing to do with them.    I think the "first" Thanksgiving is just a story and should be treated as such.  Definetely not taken so seriously.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I know, it sure is making me hungry.

Quoting Euphoric:

Mmm, look at that turkey.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I live near Plimoth Plantation and everyone around here knows the real truth. I see nothing wrong with discussing historical inaccuracies.  

sherry132
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I can't believe even Thanksgiving is controversial. Maybe we should do away with all holidays in the US. Maybe then, everyone would be happy. 

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Exactly, take it for what it is.   A day to remind everyone to be grateful and give thanks.  I don't think a little potluck is goingto ruin anyone's Thanksgiving.

Quoting Lordgodempress:

You know I get where they are coming from, I really do BUT  every culture has some sort of Thanksgiving ritual of some kind.  We are not ( at least not anyone I know)  giving thanks because Indians were masacred and their land stolen from them.  Personally I have a lot to be thankful for that has nothing to do with them.    I think the "first" Thanksgiving is just a story and should be treated as such.  Definetely not taken so seriously.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Tomorrow I will sit all of my children down and we will watch Part 1 (The Pilgrims) on the doc. We shall Remain. 

nb34
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

What is wrong with raising awarness about where this "American" tradition really originated from? We need to wipe history out so that we can feel better. SMH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured