Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not really a shot at people, although it could be if people have to be offended.   But scanning pies isn't as hard and both signed up for the job they are doing.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
little.wise.owl
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

true, true. My hubby is a veteran and he is working his job on thanksgiving.

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Beware, it may be coming to a mall near you very soon!  ;) 

http://www.latimes.com/travel/destinations/canada/la-trb-canada-west-edmonton-mall-black-friday-20121116,0,301622.story

Quoting canadianmom1974:

This wasn't aimed at me, but no, we don't. I'd say our Boxing Day is the closest we come (it's Dec 26). Lots of sales, people line up all night, but I've never heard of the craziness like you do with Black Friday.

Our Thanksgiving is also in Oct, so this Friday is just another Friday. And Thanksgiving is on a Monday, at least the official holiday is, many people do the whole meal on Sunday.

Quoting katy_kay08:

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

Kmary
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Are you serious with that last part?  Do you honestly believe that if Wal-Mart (a multi BILLION dollar company) didn't open on Thanskgiving they wouldn't be able to pay their workers?  How did they manage all those years they waited until Black Friday?  You've got to be joking. 

And your "people want to shop" argument is ridiculous.  Sometimes I want ice cream at 10 pm, but the ice cream store down the street closes at 9, so I deal with it...

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It's not awful.   But they havea job that may require it.

They aren't worse off that soldiers getting shot at on Thanksgiving.

\People want to shop.  If it was possible not to open a store to make sure you made profits to pay your workers, these stores wouldn't.

Quoting Kmary:

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If my husband had the choice to work on Thanksgiving or Friday, he would.  But he doesn't have the choice, and he doesn't have any benefits, so he won't be getting paid.  I remember my father had to work on Holidays.  You just celebrate earlier or later.  It annoys me that people are complaining.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I am completely serious.  These people want to shop.  The store is meeting their needs.  The people that work at the store have to do that.   95% don't have to work at any time during Thanksgiving.  Most working want to. Some are forced.

They still get to go home to HOMES.  That is the difference.   Whining about having to put in 6-8 hours when you have a job is pretty stupid.  Thousands and thousands would love that chance to make money.

Quoting Kmary:

Are you serious with that last part?  Do you honestly believe that if Wal-Mart (a multi BILLION dollar company) didn't open on Thanskgiving they wouldn't be able to pay their workers?  How did they manage all those years they waited until Black Friday?  You've got to be joking. 

And your "people want to shop" argument is ridiculous.  Sometimes I want ice cream at 10 pm, but the ice cream store down the street closes at 9, so I deal with it...

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It's not awful.   But they havea job that may require it.

They aren't worse off that soldiers getting shot at on Thanksgiving.

\People want to shop.  If it was possible not to open a store to make sure you made profits to pay your workers, these stores wouldn't.

Quoting Kmary:

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, but like I said Friday is just another Friday, so it might be harder to get people out. Especially for lining up all night.

I can remember when someone, I think it was maybe Old Navy or The Gap or someone along those lines tried to do a Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day) sale a couple years ago. It did not go over well at all and they ended up dropping the idea. I think it just goes to the fact that as much as we're very similar culturally, we're also very different.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Beware, it may be coming to a mall near you very soon!  ;) 

http://www.latimes.com/travel/destinations/canada/la-trb-canada-west-edmonton-mall-black-friday-20121116,0,301622.story

Quoting canadianmom1974:

This wasn't aimed at me, but no, we don't. I'd say our Boxing Day is the closest we come (it's Dec 26). Lots of sales, people line up all night, but I've never heard of the craziness like you do with Black Friday.

Our Thanksgiving is also in Oct, so this Friday is just another Friday. And Thanksgiving is on a Monday, at least the official holiday is, many people do the whole meal on Sunday.

Quoting katy_kay08:

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bolz08
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM

wow...not even the same thing...in the was universe......serving your country vs greedy hoards of people...wow...doing what they signed up for......doing what has to be done.....not working so people can get black friday deals thursday after they have dinner with their families and don't have to stay up late for a cheap big screen.....beyond stupid.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Oh, and I worked on Thanksgiving, we just had our meal later (6ish) so I could enjoy it too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes some people have to work the holidays.  I have spent many holiday with just the kids and I while hubby was at work putting out fires caused by deep frying that turkey or leaving the Christmas lights on your dried out tree.  Unfortunately it is now a fact of the times that if you are in retail you very well may be required to work on a holiday. 

Fairegirl33
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

When you work in certain types of jobs... you know when you get hired that you are going to work on the weekend, nights and guess what HOLIDAYS...

I am so sick of hearing about these folks complaining.  So many people are in desperate need of jobs right now and would love to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured