Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Not really a shot at people, although it could be if people have to be offended.   But scanning pies isn't as hard and both signed up for the job they are doing.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (111-114):
opinionatedmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

i refuse to shop on thanksgiving maybe they will give it back to the employees. nurses i can see, police but no need for retail

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM
And let's not forget that our economy here in Canada is better than the US economy. It is easier to find employment here, and probably even better in BC (I think that's where you are Linda?) than say, PEI or NB.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting LindaClement:

I don't think you appreciate how much time and effort I expect to put into a job search.  How do you know that?  After all I've been through trying to get one?  After I've seen my father struggle in the past?  You assume too much.

When employed in an unsatisfactory job: 2-6 hours a WEEK. 

When employed in a satisfactory job: 2-5 hours a week.  Why do you think people don't dedicate that amount of time?  My Dh spent a lot more htan that per week to find his current job...and it took almost a year.  And the sad thing is, it was not a pay raise, only a better environment and more opportunities for growth.  Again, too much assumption.

It's not possible to move while standing still. It's no one else's responsibility --and there are a couple of real-life stories of extremely wealthy people who started their fantastic careers during the Great Depression, when there was NO work, not 'hardly any.' I'm sure...but you do realize that this is not going to happen to everyone right?  

Part of the problem, I believe, is the bizarre idea that the only reason to change jobs is to go from a shitty job to a decent one. It's not: the best reason to change jobs is because the next one is marginally better (more responsibility, more hours) than the present one.   THIS is what I mean...the simple thinking.  THere is no single reason for a job switch.  There are too many factors that vary from job seeker to job seeker to limit it to one primary reason.  You just proved my assertion correct, that you have a too simple presentation.

No one goes from a shitty job to the boardroom in one step. Anyone expecting to is probably expecting the job fairy to leave something under their pillow.  

Quoting katzmeow726:

I don't think you realize how hard it is to get decent work in some areas. The previous poster had a point...it is not as simple as your are presenting it to be

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm chronically astonished by the number of people who complain about their low-paying jobs who haven't got a current resume and who haven't looked for a job since they got the one they're bitching about.

No one is compelled to STAY in an entry-level job.

But, jobs (like opportunities of all kinds) don't knock on bedroom windows, or pop up on the xbox...

There is a great resistance, in far too many people, to take on the next level of responsibility (or to do anything beyond the minimum required to keep their jobs) because, well, that would be hard.

Add it to the rest of the FWP...

Quoting PortiaRose:

Hahahahaha! Pls don't say things that are ridiculously simplistic. It makes you sound dumb. And we both know you aren't dumb.

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Unless you:

1. don't observe the holiday at all, so you don't care (can't give it back to me, it's not mine)

2. work in an industry that has days off unrelated to the days of the week or any holiday schedule (there are a lot more jobs that are 24/7 than just nursing and police)

I think you can shop, or not, as you choose. Store owners can be open, or not, as they choose. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

i refuse to shop on thanksgiving maybe they will give it back to the employees. nurses i can see, police but no need for retail

ihave1
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Wow, how insensitive are you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)