Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Not really a shot at people, although it could be if people have to be offended.   But scanning pies isn't as hard and both signed up for the job they are doing.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I think it sucks, that our men and women figut and die for us and corporate money can't let families be together on the holidays.

What are they fighting for then? 

Kmary
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

"The people want to shop.  The store is meeting their needs."  You just put into words humans' number one problem:  mistaking wants for needs. 

Well, I personally think it's sick and won't be going anywhere near a store of any kind on Thanksgiving at any point, unless in case of emergency.  I will be with my family, as the holiday was intended.   And I truly wish the those employees could do the same, but as usual, consumerism and almighty dollar win.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:I

I am completely serious.  These people want to shop.  The store is meeting their needs.  The people that work at the store have to do that.   95% don't have to work at any time during Thanksgiving.  Most working want to. Some are forced.

They still get to go home to HOMES.  That is the difference.   Whining about having to put in 6-8 hours when you have a job is pretty stupid.  Thousands and thousands would love that chance to make money.

Quoting Kmary:

Are you serious with that last part?  Do you honestly believe that if Wal-Mart (a multi BILLION dollar company) didn't open on Thanskgiving they wouldn't be able to pay their workers?  How did they manage all those years they waited until Black Friday?  You've got to be joking. 

And your "people want to shop" argument is ridiculous.  Sometimes I want ice cream at 10 pm, but the ice cream store down the street closes at 9, so I deal with it...

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It's not awful.   But they havea job that may require it.

They aren't worse off that soldiers getting shot at on Thanksgiving.

\People want to shop.  If it was possible not to open a store to make sure you made profits to pay your workers, these stores wouldn't.

Quoting Kmary:

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

So everyone fighting in the military should be sent home for holidays?

Do you even get how that isn't possible?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I think it sucks, that our men and women figut and die for us and corporate money can't let families be together on the holidays.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Good for you.

You can run your store any way you want.

Quoting Kmary:

"The people want to shop.  The store is meeting their needs."  You just put into words humans' number one problem:  mistaking wants for needs. 

Well, I personally think it's sick and won't be going anywhere near a store of any kind on Thanksgiving at any point, unless in case of emergency.  I will be with my family, as the holiday was intended.   And I truly wish the those employees could do the same, but as usual, consumerism and almighty dollar win.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:I

I am completely serious.  These people want to shop.  The store is meeting their needs.  The people that work at the store have to do that.   95% don't have to work at any time during Thanksgiving.  Most working want to. Some are forced.

They still get to go home to HOMES.  That is the difference.   Whining about having to put in 6-8 hours when you have a job is pretty stupid.  Thousands and thousands would love that chance to make money.

Quoting Kmary:

Are you serious with that last part?  Do you honestly believe that if Wal-Mart (a multi BILLION dollar company) didn't open on Thanskgiving they wouldn't be able to pay their workers?  How did they manage all those years they waited until Black Friday?  You've got to be joking. 

And your "people want to shop" argument is ridiculous.  Sometimes I want ice cream at 10 pm, but the ice cream store down the street closes at 9, so I deal with it...

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It's not awful.   But they havea job that may require it.

They aren't worse off that soldiers getting shot at on Thanksgiving.

\People want to shop.  If it was possible not to open a store to make sure you made profits to pay your workers, these stores wouldn't.

Quoting Kmary:

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

bolz08
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

working the holiday is not a problem....no problem with black friday or goinging in thursday night...we did sign up for that....now he to work the day of(even though he should have been off and it is more like 13 plus hr shift  so other people don't have to stay up late is greedy and stupid......not anything like defending a country and a store opening on a holiday just makes them MORE money.  like i said before i don't have a problem with it...we are having Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so dh can work but at least be honest about it.

CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I didn't say anything about the military coming home. I said they fight for us and I think it would be better if our country recognized being together is more important than the deals on gifts or the money the store will make.

A country where being open on the holidays is more important than family, seems like a slap in the  face to the people away from their family, fighting for our freedom. IMO 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

What if people want to work on the holiday?

Or people want to shop?

Why does that not count?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I didn't say anything about the military coming home. I said they fight for us and I think it would be better if our country recognized being together is more important than the deals on gifts or the money the store will make.

A country where being open on the holidays is more important than family, seems like a slap in the  face to the people away from their family, fighting for our freedom. IMO 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Working holidays is nothing new to the employment world. People need to stop complaining and be thankful they have a job

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The stores would LOVE people to believe it, but no.

Not the least 'cause Thanksgiving was in October :D

Quoting katy_kay08:

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

They are open to make money, I am sure everyone would find something better to do with their time than work. Most probably work bc they feel like they have too, heck a paid holiday would be mind blowing! 

Shopping can wait, again if it wasn't some huge money making game, people would enjoy time at home.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

What if people want to work on the holiday?

Or people want to shop?

Why does that not count?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)