Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Not really a shot at people, although it could be if people have to be offended.   But scanning pies isn't as hard and both signed up for the job they are doing.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I worked holidays too.  I remember having to work every Christmas, New Years Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving etc. when I was working with the disabled. The house I worked at required that staff be there 24/7, and the residents of the house could were individual who could not be on their own for long periods of time.  The staff hated it, but we knew when we accepted the job that we would have to work weekends and holidays. We came up with a great solution though. If a holiday fell on a saturday or sunday, which was a day when we had to work 16 hour shifts,  the staff who were not schedualed to work that day would come in and work part of our shifts so that we could spend part of the holiday with our families. I always took the early part of the shift, as many of my coworkers had kids and wanted to be with them during the day.  It worked out great, and we all recieve a little bit of extra money in our paychecks, which was a plus.

Quoting piratepixie:

i was happy to work on the holidays because they would pay me $1 more an hour. i got paid so little the rest of the time that the holiday pay was like finding a pot of gold! i know its sad that i was willing to miss time out with my family for that extra $8 but i had a family to take care of on my own and when your hardly making enough to keep a roof over your head that $8 can really be the thing that decides if you can afford to buy your kid shoes or not....

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom volunteered to work in Thanksgiving. She is a nurse and gets paid double time. She also volunteered to work in Christmas, lol

People complain too damn much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britttny
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM

i work at home and make my own hours you should to if you hate your job...

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I get what you're saying... but I've been to family gatherings that make war zones seem like playgrounds!

I used to ask to work on holidays just because of that.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

A country where being open on the holidays is more important than family, seems like a slap in the  face to the people away from their family, fighting for our freedom. IMO 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

But you won't get it if you don't have the proper education/training/experience.

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I mostly agree with you, but just to play devil's advocate, alot of places that require employees to work holidays pay overtime pay for the holiday.  At least, my job does (luckily I don't have to work the holidays, but the part-timers do if they're needed).  Anyway, alot of people would rather work and make that extra money than not work, even if they're being paid their regular salary.

However I agree with you on all points about how disgusting it is that consumerist and corporate greed trumps family togetherness.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

They are open to make money, I am sure everyone would find something better to do with their time than work. Most probably work bc they feel like they have too, heck a paid holiday would be mind blowing! 

Shopping can wait, again if it wasn't some huge money making game, people would enjoy time at home.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

What if people want to work on the holiday?

Or people want to shop?

Why does that not count?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I didn't say anything about the military coming home. I said they fight for us and I think it would be better if our country recognized being together is more important than the deals on gifts or the money the store will make.

A country where being open on the holidays is more important than family, seems like a slap in the  face to the people away from their family, fighting for our freedom. IMO 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So everyone fighting in the military should be sent home for holidays?

Do you even get how that isn't possible?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I think it sucks, that our men and women figut and die for us and corporate money can't let families be together on the holidays.

What are they fighting for then? 

SunFlower700
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I know your question was directed to Linda.  We don't have Black Friday in Canada.  Actually if you live in a border town like I do, they just started Black Friday last year that I'm aware of to try and keep Canadians from cross border shopping.  The bargains are not even close to as good as what they have in the U.S.  I'm just scared to go over there shopping because of the craziness of the shoppers.  LOL  Like another posted mentioned, the closest thing we have here to Black Friday is Boxing Day.

Quoting katy_kay08:

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You so love to pretend things. How cute.

Quoting mikiemom:

Wow, nice comparing working at Target to being in the military. This is why I don't like you people, no ethics or morals what-so-ever.

I for one am boycotting any story that is open on Thursday for Black Friday. Sucks because I really like target, they have a line of cleanser that I like that was originally from Boots in the UK.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

There are reasons I don't work retail.  And its all about those lovely words nights, weekends and holidays.    Well that I am not a big fan of people in general.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

People generally know with the type of job they have whether working on a holiday is a possibility.  If you don't know, Ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)