Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I was at the movies yesterday

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so we were at the movies yesterday.  My boys went to see Wreck It Ralph and I saw Breaking Dawn.  (yes, I went by myself, Daddy is out of town.)  So anyway, I sat at the end of the aisle close to the exit door that opens to the outside of the theater.  The movie was almost over, and this group of about 5 teenagers, male and female came walking down the stairs beside me.  They opened that exit door acted like they were going to go out, but then they all turned around and walked to the other side of the theater and left through the exit door that led back into the hall with all of the theater doors.  So here is what weirded me out.  When they turned around and walked away from the outside exit door, they didn't say a word to each other.  I was literally 5 feet away.  I heard them whisper-talking when they were coming down the stairs, like everyone does in a theater, but nothing when they all turned around together at the door.  I was watching them walk out thinking it was odd that they left before the actual end of the movie, and their behavior by the door was odder.  I thought maybe they were trying to let some friend in for free so I glance back over and the door was just sitting there open about 5 inches.  Enough that anyone sitting near me would have seen it, but no one else would.  I swear I just froze for a moment while a million scenarios went through my head and for a few seconds I actually expected the theater shooter to walk through the door.  There was nothing in front of me except the rail - that's why we usually choose those seats, my husband has long legs and he can sit comfortably there - and I knew I couldn't jump behind the seats fast enough if a shooter came through.  So I did what I thought was the only other option and launched myself at the door.  I was either going to tackle whoever came through that door or shut it.  I'm sure I looked like a freak if anyone happened to look over.  Nothing happened, no one was there, and I slammed the door. 

Now, I'm still kind of freaked out about what happened and I'm a bit confused as well.  Was it stupid of me to jump at the door like that if a shooter had been there?  I knew if a shooter walked through the door I was the first person he would see and I didn't want to just sit there like a sheep waiting to be shot.  And I thought if something was going to happen I would die anyway because of where I chose to sit for a stupid Twilight movie, so at least I might be able to help someone else if I tackled the dumbass.  And then I have to admit I was somewhat let down when I slammed the door because I had so much adrenaline pumping through my body.  All this was in the space of just a few seconds but it felt like an hour that I sat there and thought about all of this.  So anyway, I had all of these wild emotions basically all at once and I just feel... I don't know how I feel exactly.  Mostly pissed that some asshole in Colorado made me scared that I was going to die because I went to a movie.  Give me some perspective, y'all, I don't know what to think.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM
I get your feelings. Hopefully you let the staff know what happened so they can keep an eye out for those kids...it may have been a test for another time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunFlower700
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I can understand your feeling of being uneasy.  With everything in the news with mentally unstable people shooting in movie theatres and a group of teenagers acting odd, would have me jumpy too.  I just don't do movies at movie theatres anymore, unless it's Christmas day when there is hardly anyone in the theatre.  Can't stand people standing in the way every 5 minutes to use the washroom, talking throughout the whole movie whether on their cell phone or with the person they came to the movies with.  What ever happened to ushers doing their job.  Had the usher been in the theater paying attention, he or she would have caught on to the teenagers odd behaviour and could have notified their manager immediately.  They may have just been trying to go and see another movie starting soon for free, by sneaking into another threater room.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I didn't even think about notifying the staff at the time, just wanted to get my boys and get the hell out of there.  I'll give them a call tomorrow, thanks for bringing that up.

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

I get your feelings. Hopefully you let the staff know what happened so they can keep an eye out for those kids...it may have been a test for another time.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont think you were silly at all....people learn through the actions of others.  I do the same if Im walking at night by myself, I will watch people behind me, wait for them to move past whilst preparing for confrontation if I was going to be attacked.

I may look like a weirdo...but Id rather look like one than be a dead one.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Exactly.

Quoting turtle68:

I dont think you were silly at all....people learn through the actions of others.  I do the same if Im walking at night by myself, I will watch people behind me, wait for them to move past whilst preparing for confrontation if I was going to be attacked.

I may look like a weirdo...but Id rather look like one than be a dead one.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Something similar happened to me a the sunday after the colorado shooting when dh and I went to see dark knight. Its like your body freezes, and is a beyond scary feeling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Yes, my mind was on fire but my body was like a statue for a few seconds.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Something similar happened to me a the sunday after the colorado shooting when dh and I went to see dark knight. Its like your body freezes, and is a beyond scary feeling.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I'll bet they were planning on coming back in for another show or letting someone in later.  Good for you in keeping your eyes open, though.  I would have been freaked out too!

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM

They could ahve been doing what some friends of mine once got busted for (and no, i wasn't involved).  You prop the door, to the theater, wait outside, and then come in right after cleaning is done to sneak in to the movie.  Still, good to be wary!

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

They probably opened the door so they could sneak back in after the movie to see another movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured