Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the Presidential Turkey Ban?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 40 Replies

PETA Has a Big Beef With Today's Presidential Turkey Pardon

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on November 21, 2012

Presidential Turkey PardonToday is a big day for one lucky turkey -- President Obama will pardon him from being someone's Thanksgiving meal. The fortunate fowl will be taken to a lovely sanctuary where it will roam the rest of its days instead of being served next to some stuffing as part of the historic Presidential Turkey Pardon.

This year, there are two contending birds vying to be spared -- Cobbler and Gobbler. Yes, they have names, and, even more bizarrely, they're currently living it up in luxury at the posh W hotel in D.C. The two have been vying for votes online, and today at 2 p.m., the president will announce which bird wins. You can watch the whole thing go down at 2 p.m. Eastern time here

Don't worry though; the loser doesn't have it too bad. He won't get the title of National Turkey, but he won't be eaten either. Both will actually be taken to George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate to chill.

It's a rather funny tradition and sort of a strange way for the President to spend his time, but, according to the White House, it's a tradition that dates back to 1963 when John Kennedy pardoned the first turkey at the White House. And it's all in fun. 

Guess whose feathers are all ruffled about it though? PETA. You'd think they'd be happy to see animals' lives being spared, but that's not the way they see it. In fact, they're so pissed that they're equating the pardoning of turkeys with discrimination against minorities.

Ingrid Newkirk, president of PETA, wrote in a letter to President Obama:

It makes light of the mass slaughter of some 46 million gentle, intelligent birds and portrays the United States’ president as being in some sort of business partnership with the turkey-killing industry. Turkeys do not need to be ‘pardoned’—they are not guilty of anything other than being born into a world of prejudice. They are innocents who should be respected for who they are: good mothers, smart birds, and interesting animals.

You understand so well that African-Americans, women, and members of the LGBT community have been poorly served throughout history, and now I am asking you to consider other living beings who are ridiculed, belittled, and treated as if their sentience, feelings, and very natures count for nothing.

Um, wow. I have total respect and admiration for vegetarians, and I get the whole meat-is-murder thing, though I love meat so I'm okay with the crime. But this is crazy. It's PETA we're talking about, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still, wow.

There's no indication from the White House that they're going to cancel the turkey pardon. So tune if you're so inclined, or go check your tofurkey if not.

What do you think of the Presidential Turkey Ban?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM
6 moms liked this

PETA makes me laugh. Choosing not to eat meat is one thing, but ripping people who do is ridiculous. If we weren't supposed to eat meat, we wouldn't be able to digest it or worse, it would poison us. I see no point in cursing people for doing what nature intended---and that is eating meat. Sometimes I wish they would take up the cause of the poor helpless vegetables and let their own bleeding hearts and empty stomachs work them out of the gene pool.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I made a poem/song about something like this years ago.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM
5 moms liked this
Everytime PETA is mentioned I can not stop myself from rolling my eyes. That organization is such a joke.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Ingrid Newkirk is batshit crazy.

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

It's PETA, I don't take anything they do seriously

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

^^ What they said

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I think it's poor advocacy. It won't bring anyone closer to their cause and it won't help any animals.

The fact that they think they have to right to shame other people is what really bothers me. It's not the message, most of what they report is true, it's the fact that they think they are helping animals by trying to make people feel guilty.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Humans are omnivores asking people to not eat meat is asking them to go against human nature. Some will do it but you can't expect everyone to. Besides, PETA members are a bunch of hypocrites. They are responsible for the deaths of millions of animals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Well I'm with the author of the article. I got nothing but SMH at the stupidity of this one. 

diospira
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Regardless of PETA, "pardoning" one turkey and then eating another  is a ridiculous publicity stunt.

You´d think the pres would have more important things to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured