Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Controversial Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage (edit in OP)

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 198 Replies

Controversial Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage

Lindsay Stone, 30, posted a photo on Facebook last month showing her flipping off the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington Cemetery. She has since been placed on leave at her job, while her father is speaking out, saying, “It’s not what this family is about.” NBC’s Natalie Morales reports.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49915220#49915220

Should this woman be fired for taking this picture?  

Edit:  What wasn't mentioned in the Today show video is that this picture was taken on a work related field trip with approx. 40 developmentally disabled residents from the center where she works.  IMO, now that I'm aware of that bit is that it makes complete sense if her employer chooses to fire them both.

http://gawker.com/5962189/should-this-woman-have-her-life-ruined-because-she-posted-a-stupid-photo-on-her-own-facebook-page

From the statement issued by the company.  

On Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m., we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page. The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

This photograph in no way reflects the opinions or values of the LIFE organization, which holds our nation's veterans in the highest regard. We are proud to have veterans serving on our staff and board of trustees, and we value their service. The men and women who have selflessly fought and sacrificed their lives to protect the rights and lives of Americans deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. We are acutely aware that this photo has done a disservice to veterans and we are deeply saddened that it was taken and shared in a public medium. 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I can't watch the video at work but I guess if the company she works for is somehow involved with the public where they, being the public, are aware of this pic could impact the companies bottom dollar then yes they should fire her.  I guess it depends on the type of business.  I do think the company has the right to fire her if they see fit.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What's her job?

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

she works at an assisted living center.  

Quoting Arroree:

What's her job?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
17 moms liked this

A young person acting like an a$$...gee I am shocked I tell you!

Why is this "NEWS"? This was on the Today show as well

Stop giving the dumba$$ attention..which is why half of these people do it

and in a few weeks she'll be crying she's getting bullied...blah,,,

WHO CARES. In America, if you want to be a disrespectful little sh*t..do it

to all the MOMMY's....let's try and not raise disrespectful little sh*ts

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
8 moms liked this

She works with the elderly, many of whom are veterans, she obviously has some sort of hatred toward veterans, so therefore she is a danger to those she takes care of.  Oh well, next time don't be so stupid!

steffielou_who
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Ummmm... Where is she from?? I went to school with a Lindsay stone and she should be that age...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
8 moms liked this

Funny, the same people freaking out the hardest about this are screaming that they want to secede.

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
4 moms liked this

Does her acting stupid prove she has "hatred towards veterans"?  IMO, it only shows she lacks basic common sense.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

She works with the elderly, many of whom are veterans, she obviously has some sort of hatred toward veterans, so therefore she is a danger to those she takes care of.  Oh well, next time don't be so stupid!

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

In that case no i don't think she should lose her job over this. I'm not even sure where her job gets off punishing her for it. What she does in her private time is her own business as long as she's not breaking any laws.

I could understand putting her on leave and threatening firing if she'd done it in front of or in her place of work but this is just ridiculous.

Quoting katy_kay08:

she works at an assisted living center.  

Quoting Arroree:

What's her job?

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Lacking common sense or hatred of the military, either way I wouldn't want her in charge of my elder relatives.....

Quoting katy_kay08:

Does her acting stupid prove she has "hatred towards veterans"?  IMO, it only shows she lacks basic common sense.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN