Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Personal current event--finally found a job!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM
  • 25 Replies
7 moms liked this

Been trying for over a year now to get a job, and NOTHING was working out.  I had really bad hours that I could work, and I haven't worked in a few years.  Stay at home mom/home educator do not count as "jobs." Understandable, but still irritating of course.

So I started to do some volunteer work at my church's recreation ministry to buff up my resume until I found a job.  I have been there about six months now, and really impressed my coworkers I guess.  They kept telling me to put an application in, that the person over the ministry wanted to hire me.

Soooo, I took the chance and did it.   I go to finish filling out paperwork on Monday!  It is only a part time call in type position, but even one shift a month would bring like $20 or $30, which would STILL be a huge help.  And one of the regular workers will be out for most of January, and she told me to just tell her what days and times I want to work, and she'll make sure I get them.  

The job is PERFECT

I can work when I want...if they call or ask ahead, and I can't/don't want to work (which is unusual, I LOVE working there) I can turn it down.

If need be, I can bring the kids with me, because they are well behaved.  Specially if it is an afternoon shift, because Ben can pick them up early in the shift as he gets off work.  

They know that I'm a SAHM/home educator and that we can't afford child care, and want to work around that.

I love working there.  It's been my church home for over 13 years.

THe people that work there are pretty awesome, a fun mix.  

And it's just in time for the holidays....

Patience, and being selective paid off! I found the perfect job that I love working....and the irony is that I didn't need to even submit my resume lol.  Which is why I started there in the first place, to buff it up.

Okay, announcement over lol...I'm just so excited that I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm super proud of myself.  It's been so long since I had real employment, this feels so good! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

YAY!  I'm very happy for you!

punky3175
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Thanks y'all!

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Congratulations, I am so happy for you!  A happy Thanksgiving in your house for sure.  :-)

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

congratulations!  

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Totally happy for you. I'm putting in an application to be an on call sub for the district. I have references from long time tenured teachers and I work in a school setting already part-time after school. If I worked as a sub, I can make in ONE DAY what I make in a week for the after school program and have MORE time to homeschool my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Very much so...talk about being thankful lol!

Quoting romalove:

Congratulations, I am so happy for you!  A happy Thanksgiving in your house for sure.  :-)

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

That is why I am so excited about this job.  I can home school, and still work, and I won't have to worry about child care.  It literally is THE perfect job!  Good luck with your job too!!

Quoting acrogodess:

Totally happy for you. I'm putting in an application to be an on call sub for the district. I have references from long time tenured teachers and I work in a school setting already part-time after school. If I worked as a sub, I can make in ONE DAY what I make in a week for the after school program and have MORE time to homeschool my kids.

3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM
How AWESOME I'm very excited for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)