Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jesse Jackson Jr. resigns

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM
  • 86 Replies

Jesse Jackson Jr. resigns

Jesse Jackson Jr. (Mike Segar/Reuters)Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned his seat in Congress on Wednesday after an extended leave of absence and news of a widening federal probe into the alleged misuse of campaign funds.

House Speaker John Boehner's office confirmed to multiple media outlets that Jackson's resignation letter had been received.

News outlets reported on Wednesday morning that the Illinois Democrat had canceled a morning conference call with staff for fear of media eavesdropping. Then Jonathan Jackson, Jackson's brother, told the Chicago Tribune a resignation was imminent.

Jesse Jackson's office didn't immediately respond to Yahoo News' request for comment on Wednesday.

This summer, Jackson abruptly dropped out of the public eye. His staff first reported the congressman, son of the Rev. Jesse Jackson, had been on a leave of absence for exhaustion and then indicated his condition was more serious. After pressure from colleagues and others, it was revealed Jackson was being treated at the Mayo Clinic for bipolar disorder and gastrointestinal issues.

Jackson left the clinic in September but returned the following month. He was reportedly at the clinic on Nov. 6, when he easily won re-election in his Democratic district in suburban Chicago.

Recent reports indicate that a federal probe into an alleged misuse of campaign funds has widened. Some sources have suggested Jackson's resignation would be part of a plea deal.

The timing of Jackson's resignation means he will not be sworn in for the new term beginning in January. A special election will be held for his seat.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Wait...what?

He just won reelection. If he was going to resign, why did he run again? Sigh.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I he is able to be successfully treated for his mental illness. This must be a painful time for his family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

He apparently hasn't voted on anything since June and has been absent for awhile.  I have to wonder how he won reelection and why he ran for reelection.

"During this journey, I have made my share of mistakes," Jackson wrote in his letter. "I am aware of the ongoing federal investigation into my activities, and I am doing my best to address the situation responsibly, cooperate with the investigators, and accept responsibility for my mistakes, for they are my mistakes and mine alone. None of us is immune from our share of shortcomings or human frailties and I pray that I will be remembered for what I did right."

The son of the Rev. Jesse Jackson, the civil rights leader, Jackson, Jr. had sought treatment for bipolar depression at the Mayo Clinic for much of the past summer and fall. His last vote in Congress was on June 10, and his mysterious disappearance from official duties prompted speculation about the reason for the Democrat's prolonged absence.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/21/15339587-rep-jesse-jackson-jr-resigns-from-congress?lite

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

He is mentally ill....I don't hink he was maing the best of choices at that time..

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Wait...what?

He just won reelection. If he was going to resign, why did he run again? Sigh.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

aw comments went poof? boo hoo

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I noticed that too... Hmmm.. I know I didn't delete my response to billiejeens... but it's gone now.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

At least they were quoted, so I knew what people were complaining about for once...

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I noticed that too... Hmmm.. I know I didn't delete my response to billiejeens... but it's gone now.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

I think it says more about Illinois voters that they would still elect an absent candidate. I certainly hope this man gets the help he needs.

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting wenchmommy381:

Nope they weren't all quoted, he won because he is black, Democrats depend on identity politics, black identity of the voters, black politician, who hadn't even done his job, for a long time was known to be in legal trouble and suffering from mental illness wins.

What exactly other than color did they vote on?

(apparently that is way too true for some)
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

How am I racist?

Because I am not blind?
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM

um, yeah, they were. they are all in the quote tree above. you didn't make any more quotes, so don't try to play it off

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Nope they weren't all quoted, he won because he is black, Democrats depend on identity politics, black identity of the voters, black politician, who hadn't even done his job, for a long time was known to be in legal trouble and suffering from mental illness wins.

What exactly other than color did they vote on?

(apparently that is way too true for some)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN