Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Here's the number you need to know before driving stoned

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

Here's the number you need to know before driving stoned

by ALLEN SCHAUFFLER / KING 5 News

Bio | Email | Follow: @ | Follow: @

Posted on November 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Updated today at 8:36 AM

The legal blood alcohol limit for driving in Washington state is 0.08.

Now, there's another number to consider for driving while under the influence of marijuana.

Five.

The legal limit is five nanograms of THC per millimeter of blood. THC is the active ingredient in pot.

There isn't a breath test for THC and while oral fluid testing could be done in the future, blood testing is the only option in Washington right now.

The state toxicology lab already tests for THC in about 1,000 drug-related DUI cases a year, but the limit is new.

The blood test isn't simple. It involves 39 different steps from when the blood is drawn to the testing of 50 microliters of clear fluid for THC.

In the lab, the testing can take more than two weeks, which could be a problem in court.

Longtime DUI attorney John Fox questions the constitutionality of the new marijuana law, because pot smokers have no way to test their levels.

As marijuana smokers test their new freedom, the new DUI lab will face major tests of its own, on the highways, in the lab, and in the courts.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The new law is certainly going to make things interesting for awhile.  I've been hearing people that support the law complain that they could be forced to give blood if they are suspected of driving under the influence of marijuana.  

Ultimately, these new laws come with personal responsibilities as well.  

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Like with alcohol, if you've been partaking in marijuana, DON'T DRIVE!  Have a designated driver... always!

furbabymum
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

The problem with this, according to my DH, is that up until now you had to have a DEA permit to do research on pot and it's effects on the human body. So there aren't a lot of studies out there that clarify what level of THC in the blood does to the individual. For alcohol there have been a ton of studies and the effects of the alcohol at certain levels is agreed upon. Then the government picked which level they thought impairment was reached at. So, now people are just making it up pretty much. 5, how did they pick that #? Usually my DH's lab has a level of 2 to confirm it accurately in the blood. Course, before now that is all you did as it was illegal to have any at all. Times they are a changing. I think more studies need to be done!

Plus this gets a little fuzzy. Colorado is legal but WY is not. So you can have a level of 4 in CO and be fine but you drive over the border and you're screwed.

furbabymum
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Also, I agree this is going to stress out labs. Not only will it stress the legalized states labs but that of the surrounding states. Most states have a hiring freeze. My DH already goes in, unpaid, on weekends when needed because there are too few employees for as many samples as they are getting in.

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I've always heard people say that if you've been drinking, get the hell off the road. If you've been smoking, speed the hell up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

BUMP!

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM
I don't smoke an drive! Thanks for sharing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

it's my understanding that you could have that level show up in a blood test well after you have smoked.  As a non pot smoker I don't know the ins and outs but if you could "test positive" days later that may be an issue.  

Quoting ashellbell:

I don't smoke an drive! Thanks for sharing!

PestPatti
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hmm interesting, does the test specify WHEN you smoked pot ? Or just that it's in your system.. 

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
How about you be smart enough to not drive after smoking any pot and not be dependent on a number that can't be easily determined.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN