Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Initially I was concered for their safety. Now I fear for their safety and the stupidity of their parents.

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM
  • 51 Replies
2 moms liked this

:sigh:

I walked out to check our mail this afternoon and I noticed a HUGE pile of leaves in the middle of the street about 3 houses away. I stopped and watched a little closer because I heard rustling and then giggling. I was shocked to see 4 kids from five years old to ten years old playing in the pile of leaves in THE MIDDLE OF OUR STREET.

UGH

I watched for several minutes. Just as I was about to go into the house I heard a car. I ran into the road like a lunatic waving my hands in the air and yelling stop. The kids popped up and ran to the yard. The car continued, waved ans she passed and then those kids went back to playing in the middle of the street camouflaged by leaves.

:face palm:

Well, crap! I realized I had to walk down to my neighbors house and knock on the door. I didn't want to get involved at all.

When Jane Doe answered he door I smiled and asked how her holiday prep was coming along and made a moment worth of small talk. I asked her if she knew the kids were in the leaves that were piled in the street, and she said yes. I explained that I saw a car that nearly didn't stop before going through the leaves. She told me she saw the car and that she saw it slow down. I saw that, too. I never saw the car stop. In my mind I was thinking [okay lady!going slow in a huge car through the leaves will still mame kids and possibly kill them] but that's not what I said. Before I left I apologized for making a fuss and assured her that the kids were my concern. She smiled and wished me a Happy Thanksgiving.

Then another car came down the road. This time the car did not slow down, but instead came to a screeching halt as the kids jumped and ran from the leaves. I watched, but no adult came out of the house and as soon as the car passed the kids went back to the leaves inthe street.

I called the police.

I expect I'll be getting a visit from the neighbors. If not, I'll bet they stop waving.

I think it was the right thing to do. Would you have called the cops? If not, what, if anything, would you have done?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zawifey
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you did the right thing. That is not safe and the mom doesn't seem to care if her kids get ran over. Don't feel bad at all.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow!  I think at that point I would have called the cops as well.  That is scary.

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yikes.... I think you did the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

3V you did the right thing ... no "ifs," "ands," or "buts" about it. Thank you for being a good person.

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Here I have a lot f reach as I have been here so long and knew a lot of the parents as kids.  I would have instructed the kids to move the leaves onto the devil strip.

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You did the absolute right thing!

Omg the stupidity of people! I don't know if its stupidity, or negligence. 

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I do not blame you for calling the police though.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

got3boyz
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You did the right thing.  Those poor kids needed someone to care.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell yeah you did the right thing!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I definitely would have called the cops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN