Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

woman disrespecting military burial grounds is FIRED

Posted by   + Show Post

Woman fired after taking disrespectful photo next to soldier's grave

by KMOV.com Staff

KMOV.com

Posted on November 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Updated today at 7:50 PM

(KMOV.com) -- A woman in Massachusetts has lost her job after a Facebook photo of her acting disrespectful in Arlington National Cemetery got the internet riled up.

According to the New York Daily News, Lindsey Stone was on a work trip to Arlington when she took a photo brandishing the middle finger and pretending to scream next to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. She did so next to a sign that was asking for “silence and respect.”

The photo spread across the internet, and calls for Stone’s firing quickly followed. There was even a Facebook page dedicated to getting her terminated, which has racked up over 23,000 likes.

The Daily News reports she worked for a non-profit called LIFE, where she helped adults with disabilities.

Stone and the employee who took the photo were placed on unpaid leave while LIFE investigated the incident.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Woman-takes-disrespectful-photo-next-to-soldiers-grave-Internet-calls-for-her-firing-180428331.html

We wish to announce that the two employees recently involved in the Arlington Cemetery incident are no longer employees of LIFE. Again, we deeply regret any disrespect to members of the military and their families. The incident and publicity has been very upsetting to the learning disabled population we serve. To protect our residents, any comments, however well-intentioned, will be deleted. We appreciate your concern and understanding as we focus on the care of our community.

http://www.facebook.com/LIFECapeCod

For information please click the ribbon. 

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Good! She deserved it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Good she deserved to be fired.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I just don't know what on earth she was thinking.  What an insanely stupid thing to do - joke or not, have some respect.

Not sure how pleased I am that they lost their jobs, but I don't guess their employer had much of a choice.

diospira
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Quoting turtle68:

how is that a grave...its a sign post?

Why should the photographer get fired...she may not of known that she was going to do that?

She was making fun of a sign mandating respect and silence.

Not the wisest thing to do while on a work-sponsored trip, but well within her rights and no one would have had to know if she hadn`t posted it on FB.

The reaction is a good example of totalitarian think.

I agree that firing the photographer seems a bit much, but it`s not surprising, considering.

On Lindsey Stone:

Robert Johnson, army veteran and military and defense editor at news site, Business Insider, wrote an op-ed, saying he felt "compelled to defend her."

"More importantly, if Lindsey Stone wants to rip on the Tomb of the Unknowns, me, my service, or the hundreds of mutilated troops I served with at Walter Reed Medical Center, she should be able to do so without fear of retribution," Johnson wrote. "Freedom like that is what we fought for, and respecting other opinions is part of what the military tried to teach all of us who served.

lga1965
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I don't see this. I don't know why she has been fired. She is being silly and pretending to shout next to the sign that asks for silence and respect. Not a big deal.But the "flipping off" that has been blurred out is a different thing. Its crude. But people seem to like to be crude, unfortunately. Parents are not doing their jobs. But this girl is old enough to know better,right?Unfortunately , people of all ages have become crude.

Disrespect is a noun. Only lately has the Hip Hop generation changed the word Disrespect into a verb. It is grammatically incorrect to "disrespect someone". The correct usage would be "She showed disrespect".

I know....you will say "We're not in school". But this is why I dropped out of college just before I could get a degree in English Education. The attitude of students ( and their parents) is too off-putting and annoying. Students show no respect for teachers and education and seem to be proud of speaking and writing incorrectly.I will include adults in this, too.

Have a nice day.

cornucopia

livelaughlov26
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I bet she regrets that picture.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM
She had the right to do what she did and her employer had the right to fire her because she did it while representing them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diospira
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Quoting livelaughlov26:

I bet she regrets posting it on FB even more.

livelaughlov26
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Yep. Facebook strikes again! Lol.

Quoting diospira:

Quoting livelaughlov26:

I bet she regrets posting it on FB even more.

punky3175
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM
How sad is it that I took my kids (12 & 15 at the time) to Arlington for the first time back in April and I just had to tell them once to be quiet and respectful and they did exactly that but this 30 yr old woman couldn't show the same respect? Even as we watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown which is a fairly long process. I was so proud of them.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It's the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the sign is right in front of it. It is a HUGE tomb honoring all fallen soldiers from all wars who die and are unidentified.

She and the photographer were there working when they decided to have "some fun" and be immature fools. What they did is not considered "in line" with their company's standards so they were fired.

I agree with the company.

Quoting turtle68:

how is that a grave...its a sign post?

Why should the photographer get fired...she may not of known that she was going to do that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)