Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should I be suspicious or not?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM
  • 29 Replies

I am a bit paranoid because of a past break-in into my home a few years ago. It was a different home than what I am in now. So take that into account when reading this.

At about 7:30pm tonight, pitch dark outside, a young woman (maybe early 20's) came and rang my doorbell. I was a little taken back because no one comes that to my house that late and without calling first. It gets dark outside so early and by 7pm it is DARK. I cannot see who it is without opening my door because I don't have a peep hole and the side glass is covered with this special "stuff" so that people cannot see through it. So..I wonder if I should answer the door or not and finally decide to open it just a little. This woman is not someone I recognize from the neighborhood and doesn't look like she lives around here. She is obviously high or drunk and she is trying hard to act "normal", but I can see it clearly that she is under the influence of something. She tells me that she knows my neighbor and he sent her over to our house because "Mike says we are nice people". I said, "I'm sorry, but I just don't recognize you and I don't know any neighbor by the name Mike." I know most of my neighbors and their names aren't Mike.

She proceeds to talk to me with a bad attitude and rude, and then asks me to donate money to her softball team. It is not softball season. I tell her that I can get her phone number and I can call her when I think about it. I couldn't think of anything else to say and I just came up with that bullcrap line, lol.

She tells me no, she needs the money now because she has to go and she can't come back. I looked at her and said, "No, I can't do it, sorry." She walks off.

My main reason for saying no was because she was very rude to me from the beginning and she was also under the influence of something and she doesn't live around the neighborhood, so I suspected she was looking for money to buy some more "feel good" stuff. You know, that probably doesn't even bother me more than the fact that she was rude to me. When you ask a complete stranger for money, at least be nice.

I had a bad experience when this same exact thing happened to me in another home. A young girl came to the door and the next night my home was broken into and everything of value stolen. I know, I just know it had some connection to the girl, whom I never saw in my life, that came to my door. I think she came to scope out the house and see if anyone was home, or to see who lived there. So because of this bad experience, I am now paranoid that the same thing will happen.

Would you be suspicious or not?

juggling

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySally
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I would be suspicious, I'm paranoid anyway. You should tell your husband and be sure if you are home tomorrow night you have a weapon of some sort lol and make them regret their decision to break in. I'm sure its nothing, just some idiot looking for money, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diospira
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

You could ask your neighbors if she came to their house.

I would be on the alert anyway.

Due9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

The bad part is my husband is not home, but he will be home later towards midnight. He works odd hours in the hospital and is gone alot at night and sometimes all night. I don't have a weapon (yet) and it's just me and the kids. I think it's time to get the alarm system turned on.

Quoting MommySally:

I would be suspicious, I'm paranoid anyway. You should tell your husband and be sure if you are home tomorrow night you have a weapon of some sort lol and make them regret their decision to break in. I'm sure its nothing, just some idiot looking for money, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared.

juggling

lga1965
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be suspicious. You did the right thing. She wanted money for the "feel good" stuff. She sounds scary and potentially dangerous in my opinion.

Actually, I never ever open the door to people I don't know . If anyone wants to stop by they had better call first. The exception would be family members ...but they are polite and call first.

I wouldn't open the door to anyone at night no matter what.

Due9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I called my neighbors right away and they said no one came to their house. I was the only one. ;-/

Quoting diospira:

You could ask your neighbors if she came to their house.

I would be on the alert anyway.

juggling

MommySally
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Oh that sucks, I'm sorry he has to work damn crazy hours. So yes if it is just you and the kids get the alarm turned on asap.

Quoting Due9:

The bad part is my husband is not home, but he will be home later towards midnight. He works odd hours in the hospital and is gone alot at night and sometimes all night. I don't have a weapon (yet) and it's just me and the kids. I think it's time to get the alarm system turned on.

Quoting MommySally:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diospira
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Quoting lga1965:

I would be suspicious. You did the right thing. She wanted money for the "feel good" stuff. She sounds scary and potentially dangerous in my opinion.

Actually, I never ever open the door to people I don't know . If anyone wants to stop by they had better call first. The exception would be family members ...but they are polite and call first.

I wouldn't open the door to anyone at night no matter what.

I wouldn`t open my door either.

OP, maybe you can have a friend come and stay over?

lga1965
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, get the alarm system turned on. Don't mess with weapons. Nothing good ever comes from having a weapon. Alarm systems are there for a reason...protection and they provide a defense that is much more efficient than weapons.

Quoting Due9:

Quoting MommySally:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM
The first experience would make you suspicious this time. That's normal. But it sounds like this woman is simply looking for money right now, not casing you. However, you could call law enforcement & let them know. Maybe by now they have gotten other reports even. You also need a security peep hole in your door, IMO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Since you have an alarm system, use it consistently. I still like the idea of contacting law enforcement, but that's me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)