Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Evidence Claims Casey Anthony Searched For "Suffocation" on Day of Caylee's Murder -Would this have mattered?

Posted by   + Show Post

New Evidence Claims Casey Anthony Searched For "Suffocation" on Day of Caylee's Murder

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on November 21, 2012 

Casey Anthony

Many people were surely unhappy when Casey Anthony was found not guilty of the murder of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Others believed she was innocent. Was there once piece of evidence, somehow left out of the trial, that could have changed everyone's minds? A local Orlando TV station says that for weeks, Casey's defense team waited with dread for the prosecution to bring up a key piece of damning evidence: Casey had reportedly done a search on the family computer for "fool-proof suffication" the same day of Caylee's death. (Yes, she -- provided it really was her -- even misspelled the word.) But the prosecution never brought this up. Why? And if they had, could it have changed the verdict?

Casey's main lawyer, Jose Baez, first brought up the search in his book, Presumed Guilty. However, he blames the search on Casey's father George -- saying he was looking up how to kill himself after Caylee was found drowned.

But the Orlando station, Local 6, says that it was most likely Casey who conducted the search, not her father. Their investigation reportedly shows that Casey's dad was at work at the time of the search, while Casey's cell phone was pinging off a nearby tower, showing that she most likely would have been home at the time.

The user of the computer searched for "fool-proof suffication" and then went to a site that advises people looking to commit suicide to poison themselves and then suffocate themselves with a plastic bag. It was this exact method of death that the state claimed Caylee suffered.

And then, possibly most damning, right after that site, the user then visits MySpace -- a site Casey was known to visit. Not George.

But apparently the prosecution didn't even know about this additional evidence. When Local 6 approached the prosecutor Jeff Ashton with it, he said, "It's just a shame we didn't have it. This certainly would have put the accidental death claim in serious question."

But would it have? I'm not an expert on the trial, but as I recall there were a lot of strange computer searches that were brought into evidence, such as many searches on the word "chloroform," but Baez was always able to explain it away. So I'm not sure this one search term would have made much of a difference. But you never know.

Do you think this new piece of evidence would have mattered?

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It surely doesn't matter now

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

The person who wrote this article needs to go back to school.

That was painful.

As for the piece of evidence.................I haven't a clue if it would have made a difference. 

lol

Ha!

I know, a crappy response and really, perhaps I should not have bothered since I had soooooo much to add to the conversation! lol

It just irked me for some reason. lol

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

That was painful.

As for the piece of evidence.................I haven't a clue if it would have made a difference. 

lol

Ha!

I know, a crappy response and really, perhaps I should not have bothered since I had soooooo much to add to the conversation! lol

Well I enjoyed your response!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

That was painful.

lol

Ha!

Well I enjoyed your response!

I am glad to hear it.  :)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

AMBG825
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Quoting lancet98:

Anthony never said anything on the witness stand about drowning her child.

Casey herself chose not to testify on the stand. The defense's entire argument was that Kayley drowned in the family swimming pool and that the father, George helped cover it up. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting lancet98:

Casey herself chose not to testify on the stand. The defense's entire argument was that Kayley drowned in the family swimming pool and that the father, George helped cover it up. 

"Casey herself"

Booshwa.

Defendants in her situation are BEGGED by their lawyer not to testify, LOL.   REGULARLY.   The only time a defendant like her takes the stand is over their lawyer's dead body, at least figuratively.

As Ron White said, 'I was advised of my right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability to do so'.

If you pardon my slang, Anthony is a DITZ, and not capable of managing her most basic affairs, let alone realizing  her biggest danger to herself in court is - herself.   Furthermore, her parents are also ditzes, but her father at least realized, probably after being hit over the head with it a thousand times while he was in law enforcement, that the best thing he could possibly do is shut up.

AMBG825
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting lancet98:

"Casey herself"

Booshwa.

Defendants in her situation are BEGGED by their lawyer not to testify, LOL.   REGULARLY.   The only time a defendant like her takes the stand is over their lawyer's dead body, at least figuratively.

As Ron White said, 'I was advised of my right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability to do so'.

If you pardon my slang, Anthony is a DITZ, and not capable of managing her most basic affairs, let alone realizing  her biggest danger to herself in court is - herself.   Furthermore, her parents are also ditzes, but her father at least realized, probably after being hit over the head with it a thousand times while he was in law enforcement, that the best thing he could possibly do is shut up.

She can't be too much of a ditz. She managed to successfully get away with murder. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting lancet98:

"Casey herself"

Booshwa.

She can't be too much of a ditz. She managed to successfully get away with murder. 

Far more complex crimes have been done by far stupider people.

PestPatti
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting AMBG825:

No. I don't think it would have mattered. There was no definite cause of death. If they could say Kaley had been suffocated it might have mattered. But the prosecution couldn't prove how the little girl died. 

OMG they didn't have to.  The little girl was dead and that was obvious.  Were you following this case from the beginning?

If you want to try someone for MURDER, you have to PROVE how they were murdered.. 

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Quoting lancet98:

Sorry I almost always write Amy Grace when I mean Nancy Grace.   There was a too-too precious Amy Grace at my high school who was so pretentious and so full of BS that the two of them are inexorably connected in my mind.,  First don't scare me with clones of Nancy Grace that actually have a name close enough to that woman. 

Nancy Grace is such an idiot, she caters to the lowest impulses of humanity.

The BAD thing about people like her is some day she is going to get a judge or a juror of an innocent defendant SHOT because o the stupid inflammatory things she says.  What scares me about her is that two women who were accused of crimes have killed themselves and we don't know if they were guilty or innocent. 

NO ONE would have been expecting the jury to convict Anthony if Grace hadn't stomped around for months shooing off her mouth.  Thank you.  she tainted this case when she opened her mouth.  The thing that folks don't understand is the following, notice how the prosocutor in the Warren Jeffs cas didn't go all on tv about his evidence until the case was over and Jeffs was convicted.   

The thing to say would have been the TRUTH - NOT the jury's fault, NOT the judge's fault.   Those jurors were CRYING but they had to follow the law.

The evidence they had was weak as water.   They did everything they could to try to get some decent evidence, and they could not.   

We don't convict people of murder based on popularity contests.   But on nuts-and-bolts evidence - where was tthe murder, when was the murder, how was it done, then PUT the defendant at the place, at that time, and prove the means.  Once again, thank you.  This is what folks do not understand.  You need evidence to convict people, not the "we know she did it because she looks guilty, she's not a good mom, she doesn't care".  If you convicted on looks, then lots of folks would be in jail. Do I think she did it?  Yup.  Can I prove it?  Nope.   I think a lot of people don't want to admit that she beat the system and she did it well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)