Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Comfort food

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 15 Replies

On this day of feasting lets talk about comfort food and what makes it comfy.

Recently on my dds night to cook she said she was making sausage biscuits and gravy and I grimaced.  to me "shit on a shingle" for dinner is about lean times and it is not comfort food to me.  My kids on the other hand feel the opposite.   I am glad we all talked because I never realized that.  She says "yea mom you always made it  so yummy when we were kids"  I said "It was all we had lol "

Funny, I think anyhow, how our associations are so different.  to me comfort food is enerally sweet treats like cracker jack lol.

What makes your favorite comfort food comfy?  Memories?  Flavors?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Pasta salad is also a comfort food for me i think.  Its yummy and filling and "special" cuz we dont have it all the time.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Creamy mac and cheese. My GM use to make it for us.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Home-made Mac & Cheese - a box of macaroni, with a box of velveeta, a cup of milk and a stick of butter - oh my god, horrible for you but wonderful.

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting mikiemom:

Home-made Mac & Cheese - a box of macaroni, with a box of velveeta, a cup of milk and a stick of butter - oh my god, horrible for you but wonderful.

Thats exactly how hubby makes it. He gets mad when I speak out about Kraft lol he loves his velveeta.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

To me, "comfort foods" are things that remind me of spending cozy evenings with my family. The other night, I made a shepherd's pie with ground turkey and sweet potato topping, and had it with a glass of wine. That was comfort food to me.

For my husband, "comfort food" reminds him of his childhood growing up in Kansas, and the kinds of foods they used to eat together, especially with his grandma. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, fried chicken, and homemade bread with apricot preserves are the top items on his "comfort food" list.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

tamales with chili

Carne asada

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

tamales with chili

Carne asada

Love arne asada.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Warm cinnamon rolls on Thanksgving and Christmas morning (but no other time)

Hot black tea with real cream in it, no sugar

Sweet potato anything

Challah bread

Matzoh ball soup in real chicken stock with sliced carrots and celery and the skinniest of egg noodles (when I'm really sick hubby goes to a nearby Kosher deli and gets me this)

Dense sour cream banana cake baked in a bundt pan, so the top is dark brown and slowly ombres down to a golden yellow, please do not put frosting on this and only my nana can make it right

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I've started making that to put on salads and I make a chimichurri sauce instead of using a dressing.

Really good stuff.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

tamales with chili

Carne asada

Love arne asada.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

carne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)