Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HELP: How Do I File A Complaint Against A Police Department? UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM
  • 54 Replies

This morning, two of my sisters, my niece and I drove out to Kent State University to run in the 34th Annual Turkey Trot (my sister Kim placed 2nd in her age division). Between the 2-mile run and the start of the 5-mile run my sister Kim was participating in, my older sister called me up to tell me the police had been at the house. The two officers were in plain clothes, but got out of a marked police car. They quickly flashed badges, but didn't give names and didn't leave cards. One of them told my sister they were looking for the "owner of the brown Blazer" (me), but didn't know/use my name, nor the Blazer's plate number. Supposedly I had been in a hit-and-run on Mahoning Avenue in Warren this morning, sometime before 9 AM. They demanded to know where my sister was "hiding" the Blazer. Little do they know, the Blazer had been sitting at Kent State University since 8 in the morning.

After I got home at about noon, I called the police department, inquiring about this supposed hit-and-run, only to have dispatch tell me there had been no reports of an accident on Mahoning Avenue that morning, so she didn't know what I was talking about.

I put all the pieces of this together, and it doesn't look good. In fact, it looks like the cops were going to try to cook up some charges on me. After I thought about it, it all made sense: of course they didn't know my name. They'd have to have run the plates to know my name, and they clearly didn't know the plate number. And let's really think about this---dispatch flat-out told me there was no accident on Mahoning Avenue, so of course they didn't have my plate number.

This is harrassment, or something worse.

HELP ME!!! What should I do? I want to file a complaint against the police department, but I don't know if that is the right course of action.

PLEASE HELP.

Happy fucking Thanksgiving, everybody. My day is officially ruined.

UPDATE: I contacted the Warren PD Detective Division and spoke to one of their detectives. They took down my name, address and phone number. I don't feel good about this at all. It is extremely suspicious. Why would detectives looking for me *over a crime that didn't even happen* not even know my name? There has been no report filed over any of this---no record of anyone ever being at my house. My sister told me she clearly saw the police car in the driveway, and it was a legit Warren PD squad car.

Waiting on that phone call...or for the cops to show up and destroy my Thanksgiving dinner.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dylansmom08
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Well isk I would just wait and see if anything else happens. If their was no wreck reported then nothing can happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM
5 moms liked this

sounds more like someone was casing your car.  fake badges are easy to come by believe it or not.  if it were a hit and run they would be out looking for it, they wouldn't know your address unless someone wrote down your plate numbers in which case they would use your name,  you need to report it to the police as a possible Impersonating an officer charge.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Are you sure they were even police that came to your door?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I don't know you. So, IMO it sounds like a serious case of hoodwinking and fraud. It's illegal to impersonate an officer. Too bad the person that spoke to them didn;t get a picture of them.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Fascinating this is, this vehicle hasn't even been at my house in 2 weeks. It is registered in my name, but it is going to be my sister's car after she gets her driver's license, so it normally sits at her house in a different town. When it was first purchased in September, it sat in my driveway, and I've driven it/parked it at my house overnight on a couple occasions since then, but it isn't normally at my house.

We have had trouble with our neighbors before. They like to brag about their "police connections", and they called the police on my husband for parking our Sunfire in the street facing the wrong direction. (Yes, they really called over this and an officer came out to the house). This absolutely stinks of the neighbors.

These two cops were in a Warren City Police car, so I don't think they were impersonating. At least my sister told me they were in a legit cop car, so that is what I have to go on.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

sounds more like someone was casing your car.  fake badges are easy to come by believe it or not.  if it were a hit and run they would be out looking for it, they wouldn't know your address unless someone wrote down your plate numbers in which case they would use your name,  you need to report it to the police as a possible Impersonating an officer charge.

"Roger that. Over."

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM
You need to call the cops. Someone was trying to steal your car.
radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

My older sister, who was at the house at the time and who answered the door and spoke to them, said they got out of a legit police car. Obviously I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Quoting Carpy:

Are you sure they were even police that came to your door?

"Roger that. Over."

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Why do they want to cook up charges against you? Are you sure it was police?  It could have been crooks casing the joint.

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Call the watch commander. Better yet, go down and talk to him. Have your sister go, too.

They may just be looking for a similar vehicle.

Only certain police departments have agencies in which you can file against the cops.
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i could be someone casing y our sisters house then, its not normal for undercover cops to deal with traffic situations.  if it is your friends neighbors then you need to report it to the police as a harrasement or incorrect protocol.  if it is someone thats been casing the house they may have seen the car there.  i had a friend whos house was robbed where the people had done something similar, they didn't act as cops but they pretended to be broken down and mentioned her having a car (that happened to be her friends car) and then asked her if she could give them a ride in that car, when she said that car wasn't hers, they shoved their way in.  

it may not be something that serious, but eitherway, it sounds fishy and perhaps its necessary to inform the police that its happened so they can be on alert and maybe keep their eyes on that area for a bit.

Quoting radioheid:

Fascinating this is, this vehicle hasn't even been at my house in 2 weeks. It is registered in my name, but it is going to be my sister's car after she gets her driver's license, so it normally sits at her house in a different town. When it was first purchased in September, it sat in my driveway, and I've driven it/parked it at my house overnight on a couple occasions since then, but it isn't normally at my house.

We have had trouble with our neighbors before. They like to brag about their "police connections", and they called the police on my husband for parking our Sunfire in the street facing the wrong direction. (Yes, they really called over this and an officer came out to the house). This absolutely stinks of the neighbors.

These two cops were in a Warren City Police car, so I don't think they were impersonating. At least my sister told me they were in a legit cop car, so that is what I have to go on.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN