Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pagan mom not allowed to hand out lit at school...

Posted by   + Show Post

after her son brought home a Bible that was given to him at school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088912/Pagan-mothers-fury-son-brings-home-Bible-school-witchcraft-books-banned.html

A school is being accused of not letting students practice religious freedom after they refused to let a pagan student's mother give out spell books, despite allowing bibles to be distributed.

Ginger Strivelli, from North Carolina, who practices Witchcraft, a form of Paganism, said she was upset when her 12-year-old son came home from North Windy Ridge intermediate school with a Bible.

She challenged the school about distributing the books, which were donated by the local Gideon group, and has prompted the Buncombe County Board of Education to reevaluate its policies regarding religious texts.

The Gideons International had delivered several boxes of the sacred books to the school office. The staff allowed interested students to stop by and pick them up.

But when Mrs Strivelli showed up at the school with Pagan spell books, she was turned away, despite being assured by the principal the school would make available religious texts donated by any group. 

School: North Windy Ridge intermediate school where children were given Gideon bibles

School: North Windy Ridge intermediate school where children were given Gideon bibles

The district announced in  statement: 'Buncombe County School officials are currently reviewing relevant policies and practices with school board attorneys. 

'During this review period, no school in the system will be accepting donations of materials that could be viewed as advocating a particular religion or belief.'

Debate: The handing out of bibles in the school has dragged it into controversy about religious freedom

Debate: The handing out of bibles in the school has dragged it into controversy about religious freedom

The First Amendment gives public schools two clear choices when it comes to the distribution of religious texts.

Michael Broyde, a professor and senior fellow at Emory University's Center for the Study of Law and Religion told Fox News: 'You can either open your public school up to all religious material, or you can say no religious material.

'You can't say, "You can distribute religious material, but only from the good mainstream faiths".

'America runs a grand, noble experiment in religious diversity without violence. There's no killing of the Jews. There's no Catholic-Protestant violence. We are very successful in this grand experiment.'

Ms Strivelli agrees with this stance that it should be all or nothing and said she found many others who agreeds: 'Many Christians have stood up and said they agree with me too. Because, as much as they may like the Bible, they don't want Jehovah's Witnesses coming in with Watch Tower (magazines) or Catholics coming in and having them pray the Rosary.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088912/Pagan-mothers-fury-son-brings-home-Bible-school-witchcraft-books-banned.html#ixzz2D0OQfqvy 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Replies (221-228):
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Gotta love double standards!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TB78
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM
ours is 6 and sometimes it gets a little irritating because there are some shows i like to watch that i censor him on like law & order: svu. other times if we are watching a show together i love it :-)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

:) I love when that happens, esp as he gets older (he is 3) and it happens less and less often.

Quoting TB78:

yw our ds is the same way most times but tonight he fell asleep on me lol

:-)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

None here. DS is resisting sleep but we will get there, thanks for the well wishes on that front:)

Quoting TB78:

well in that case have a good night and hope that you are able to get your little one in bed.

no hard feelings on my end and i hope that there are none on your end.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Get over yourself. What I aaid was based on being raised in a Christian tradition and was merely an attempt to explain why it is highly UNlikely that you are correct about her motivations. I am done with this now, i have a child to get to bed.

Quoting TB78:

i am being civil you were the one who said this: "I get that your religion pushes amd demands parents raise their kids in the same tradition - most pagans DO NOT share that limitation."

i am just wondering what you believe my religion is and yes i believe that she went there because she was soo upset about her child wanting to look at a gideons bible.

i on the other hand would welcome my son to learn all about different religions whether in a public school or in a religious based school.

so i ask again what is my religion??

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I am trying to have a civil discussion with you - clearly you have no interest in civility. Good night.

Quoting TB78:

oh please tell me what "my religion" is that puts limits on my child instead of letting him explore every aspect of other religions?

i do not have one set religion i take different aspects of all religions and the latest one that i am loving is celtic christianity from the complete idiots guide to celtic wisdom which has different celtic paganisms within like witchcraft and druidism.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

What? I did not say you are mad at her AND I havw propsed that, on all likelihood, she was upset that religious material was being distributed at a public school, NOT at her son wanting to explore other paths. I get that your religion pushes amd demands parents raise their kids in the same tradition - most pagans DO NOT share that limitation.

Quoting TB78:

really?? me angry at her?! as i recall this was in the article: "Ginger Strivelli, from North Carolina, who practices Witchcraft, a form of Paganism, said she was upset when her 12-year-old son came home from North Windy Ridge intermediate school with a Bible."

its just odd that most moms on here skip over that part in the article and run with "oh poor her she couldn't get her religious book into that school" & also stating the "public schools should keep church and state separate" every time we read articles about non christian people wanting the pledge of allegiance, school prayer, and other things out of public schools because they feel that it should not be forced on their children. i went to public school and the only thing that was mandatory was the pledge of allegiance to the US flag which i find to be great since we are US citizens.

no i am not angry at her if she wants to raise her son to only practice witchcraft which was stated in the article as well that i c&p earlier is her right as a parent.

besides i don't know why her son wanted to have the gideons bible because it also stated in the article that "the principal made an announcement that there were bibles there for anyone who wanted to take one"

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yous assumption she was mad that her son wanted to learn about Christianity is very Christian perspective. Unlike Christians, most pagans do NOT assume everybody else be wrong for us to be right. Most of us understand that everybody has their own path that must be sought. So chances are very high that you are wrong about her being angry at her son's desireto explore other paths.

Quoting TB78:

would she have let her son walk to a church or other religious place if he was interested in learning about it. i agree that she may have been mad at her son for showing interest and walking to the principal's office to get one.

i also agree that the school should be more accepting to all religions. also i do not believe that all christian religions go by the same bible because some may have extra texts in there and different interpretations about god, jesus, and the holy spirit. that is just my opinion.

btw i am into celtic christianity.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I am just going to jump into this conversation right here...

This is for you TB78 and for LoveMyBoyK

My 3 yo is refusing to go to bed lately. She is a high-needs spirited child who I live dearly. But her refusal to go to bed at a decent hour for a 3 yo is really cutting into my time to watch inappropriately violent television and it is ticking me off!

Just wanted to rant. Hope she gets out of this phase soon.

Quoting TB78:

ours is 6 and sometimes it gets a little irritating because there are some shows i like to watch that i censor him on like law & order: svu. other times if we are watching a show together i love it :-)
Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

:) I love when that happens, esp as he gets older (he is 3) and it happens less and less often.

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

None here. DS is resisting sleep but we will get there, thanks for the well wishes on that front:)

New World Peace

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

ACH, the things we do and give up for our kidlets. 

Quoting NWP:

My 3 yo is refusing to go to bed lately. She is a high-needs spirited child who I live dearly. But her refusal to go to bed at a decent hour for a 3 yo is really cutting into my time to watch inappropriately violent television and it is ticking me off!

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

butterfly on headlynda  

TB78
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM
i feel for ya NWP and when i hear him come into the room i immediately change channels and look for something that we can watch together and then when he falls asleep i will change it back. i love watching svu when i see the "bad guys" get theirs in the end either by going to jail or when the victim shoots them.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I like Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, Supernatural and shows like Bones, Fringe, Dexter....Certainly couldn't watch these with the kiddos yet. LOL

Quoting TB78:

i feel for ya NWP and when i hear him come into the room i immediately change channels and look for something that we can watch together and then when he falls asleep i will change it back. i love watching svu when i see the "bad guys" get theirs in the end either by going to jail or when the victim shoots them.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting TB78:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

New World Peace

Mistygirl
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Where I am from this doesn't suprise me, sending home the bible was out of line. However in my state, people cannot pray at school, or have religious discussions because they feel that it take's away from the other education. No if you went to a private school, or a religious school it is a different story.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM

All we know is what is written in the post. But if you're a good parent, you will teach your child all that's out there, encourage them to read and discover, and that's how they can make an informed decision.

Quoting tweety101149:
Quoting EireLass:

It said the bibles were in boxes and the students that were interested stopped by and picked them up. Is she mad that her child is reading about another religion? By his own choice? Is she angry that no other kids were interested in picking up her brochures?

How do we know?  She wasn't allowed to drop hers off. Therein lies the problem.  How can anyone make an informed choice if they don't know anything about another  religion.  Which is what I believe exactly what the school wanted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN