Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pagan mom not allowed to hand out lit at school...

Posted by   + Show Post

after her son brought home a Bible that was given to him at school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088912/Pagan-mothers-fury-son-brings-home-Bible-school-witchcraft-books-banned.html

A school is being accused of not letting students practice religious freedom after they refused to let a pagan student's mother give out spell books, despite allowing bibles to be distributed.

Ginger Strivelli, from North Carolina, who practices Witchcraft, a form of Paganism, said she was upset when her 12-year-old son came home from North Windy Ridge intermediate school with a Bible.

She challenged the school about distributing the books, which were donated by the local Gideon group, and has prompted the Buncombe County Board of Education to reevaluate its policies regarding religious texts.

The Gideons International had delivered several boxes of the sacred books to the school office. The staff allowed interested students to stop by and pick them up.

But when Mrs Strivelli showed up at the school with Pagan spell books, she was turned away, despite being assured by the principal the school would make available religious texts donated by any group. 

School: North Windy Ridge intermediate school where children were given Gideon bibles

School: North Windy Ridge intermediate school where children were given Gideon bibles

The district announced in  statement: 'Buncombe County School officials are currently reviewing relevant policies and practices with school board attorneys. 

'During this review period, no school in the system will be accepting donations of materials that could be viewed as advocating a particular religion or belief.'

Debate: The handing out of bibles in the school has dragged it into controversy about religious freedom

Debate: The handing out of bibles in the school has dragged it into controversy about religious freedom

The First Amendment gives public schools two clear choices when it comes to the distribution of religious texts.

Michael Broyde, a professor and senior fellow at Emory University's Center for the Study of Law and Religion told Fox News: 'You can either open your public school up to all religious material, or you can say no religious material.

'You can't say, "You can distribute religious material, but only from the good mainstream faiths".

'America runs a grand, noble experiment in religious diversity without violence. There's no killing of the Jews. There's no Catholic-Protestant violence. We are very successful in this grand experiment.'

Ms Strivelli agrees with this stance that it should be all or nothing and said she found many others who agreeds: 'Many Christians have stood up and said they agree with me too. Because, as much as they may like the Bible, they don't want Jehovah's Witnesses coming in with Watch Tower (magazines) or Catholics coming in and having them pray the Rosary.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088912/Pagan-mothers-fury-son-brings-home-Bible-school-witchcraft-books-banned.html#ixzz2D0OQfqvy 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Replies (41-50):
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly my thoughts, it would be foolish to let just anyone leave just any book that claims to be religious out. I would want the content to be an accurate reflection of the faith it writes about.

Quoting AlekD:

Yes I know. But it is a historical book describing historical practices in pretty vague ways. I know you might disagree but that is irrelevant to my argument here.The fact remains that we do not know the nature of what she was attempting to distribute. Was it a scholarly look at paganism by a reputable author? A book of spells? A tract written by her personally? Something her high priest or priestess has prepared? We have no idea. The story doesn't say. You may be right, that she was distributing something informative and useful and is being unjustly discriminated against. But you may be wrong, she might have been trying to distribute a book that explains complex sex acts and violent rites. Paganism has no hierarchy, literally anyone can write a book and say it reflects pagan thought. I just think it is foolish, especially for someone as smart as you, to argue for her actions when there is so little information about those actions.

Also, not sure why you are so adament to win an argument against me since I said I was withholding judgement based on lack of information, not simply saying the school was right to deny her.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Have you read the bible?

It is full of incest, murder, prostitution, and much more.  

Quoting AlekD:

The fact is that we don't know what she was attempting to distribute therefore and arguments for or against her actions are based in ignorance. There are pagan works that are inappropriate for grade school, books that deal with things like "the great rite" sex magik blood magick etc. All we know is that she tried to distribute "spell books " that could mean anything. That's why I said I was withholding judgement unless and until it is revealed exactly what she was trying to distribute.

Quoting blues_pagan:

That book is a work of fiction.  I take it you also want Catcher in the Rye taken out of schools as well?

Quoting AlekD:

You need to ask why Diary of a Drug Fiend wouldn't exactly be appropriate for school?

Quoting blues_pagan:

I have read a lot of Crowley as well as others.  Once again, why shouldn't it be distributed at a public school?

Quoting AlekD:

I don't know if you have read much Crowley but there are definitely legitimate reasons why it might not he allowed to be distributed at a public school.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why would that matter?

Quoting AlekD:

I would have to know what book she was handing out before casting judgement.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for Protective Animal League & LAP, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 7yr, Ashley 6yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 6 months, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle !

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that the distribution of ANY religious material, in any public school, crosses the line of Separation of Church and State and should not happen? 

I just don't get that.

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I agree with you.  The point that I was trying to make with posting this article is that many times, in areas that are predominately Christian there is a double standard which needs to be torn down.

The mother in this article also pointed that out.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that the distribution of ANY religious material, in any public school, crosses the line of Separation of Church and State and should not happen? 

I just don't get that.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blues_pagan:

I agree with you.  The point that I was trying to make with posting this article is that many times, in areas that are predominately Christian there is a double standard which needs to be torn down.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I just don't get that.

My comment was not directed towards you.  I should have stated that, sorry.

I'm Christian and I know that no one should be allowed to distribute ANY religious material.  I understand the need for Separation of Church and State and take no issue with it.  It has no impact on my faith.  If only more people, regardless of their faith, or otherwise, realized this. *shrug*

I can guarantee a few Christians in this very group would have gone high and to the right if their child came home with a book of spells, or any book, stemming from Paganism.  But they have no issue with the Bible being handed out.  Wrong, so very wrong.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh sorry, I didn't know who you were replying to so I thought I would just clarify.  

I agree that religious texts being distributed in any way have no room in schools.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I just don't get that.

My comment was not directed towards you.  I should have stated that, sorry.

I'm Christian and I know that no one should be allowed to distribute ANY religious material.  I understand the need for Separation of Church and State and take no issue with it.  It has no impact on my faith.  If only more people, regardless of their faith, or otherwise, realized this. *shrug*

I can guarantee a few Christians in this very group would have gone high and to the right if their child came home with a book of spells, or any book, stemming from Paganism.  But they have no issue with the Bible being handed out.  Wrong, so very wrong.  

smurfbitebug
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Same school district with the teacher that got in trouble for calling one of his students a loser repeatedly. I lived there for quite some time, that's the school district my SS is in. The schools... ah.. there are no words for how pathetic it is. The area is around Asheville, so those of the pagan religions and those of the christian religions are forever going at it... so it isn't surprising to me to see yet another clusterfuck of intolerant redneck douchebaggery and in-your-face fuck your lifestyle kama-I-have-a-cause-zies when all it really boils down to is religion doesn't have a place in schools in the first place.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I take it that they are a very conservative Christian county?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

The words "Buncombe County" explain everything to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Goddammit Home State. Fucking stop it. The bibles shouldn't have been handed out in the first place. I don't think the pagan material should have been handed out either.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with not letting any religious material be offered at school.. 

However, if you are going to do one.. do them all damnit

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Exactly!

Quoting Sekirei:

I agree with not letting any religious material be offered at school.. 

However, if you are going to do one.. do them all damnit

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Oceana09
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this happened a while ago and I think she was in the right. Obviously it was probably not a "spell" book. It was probably more books that explain the religion. But of course people hear the word "Pagan" and automatically think "spells". I just don't get how it's ok for them to pass out the bible to students but not another book on a different religion. Religious freedom my ass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured