Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you think Chivalry is dead?

Options:

I think it is making a comeback

I think it is dead

what is chivalry?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

Something I read this morning is making me ask this question.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Quoting mikiemom:

where is the option where it is outdated. I think chivalry is an excuse to treat women as if they are the lesser being.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Chivalry is dying because people let their kids be disrespectful assholes so those kids grew up not to know any better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM

You do have a point there.

Quoting frankiesma530:

Chivalry is dying because people let their kids be disrespectful assholes so those kids grew up not to know any better.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope it is. I am not some helpless little flower who deserves special treatment. I am a mans equal and can , for the most part, do the same things he is. I prefer respect for all genders, not just one. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM

But, why should they? My husband opens doors for everyone, as do I. Sometimes I'll treat him, sometimes he will treat me. When we were dating, we typically went dutch. 

Quoting owl0210:

Yes it is dead. I'm all for strong independent women but some men don't want to open doors, pay for dates and court women anymore.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM
5 moms liked this

I think people should open doors for other people, and be polite about it.

I think people should have good manners towards each other.

I have raised my kids, a boy and two girls, on that premise.  You needn't be deferential to one gender or another, just be kind to people in general.

If that means chivalry is dead, I'm OK with it, and throw my dueling gloves into the fireplace.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I agree that doors should be opened for other people.  I just don't think that when a man does it for a woman, he should be ridiculed for it.   This was what was going on when feminism first started up.

Quoting romalove:

I think people should open doors for other people, and be polite about it.

I think people should have good manners towards each other.

I have raised my kids, a boy and two girls, on that premise.  You needn't be deferential to one gender or another, just be kind to people in general.

If that means chivalry is dead, I'm OK with it, and throw my dueling gloves into the fireplace.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I certainly hope it isn't dead. My sons will stand out. They are 13, they take pride in being chivalrous, and they in no way feel that women are "lesser".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM
5 moms liked this

It's alive and kicking in this house :)

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think any of the options apply.....I don't think that chivalry has ever been dead. It's just that a lot of women allow men to treat them disrespectfully because they're so desperate not to be alone, and then they don't understand why they're treated the way they are. 

I've gone on plenty of dates with losers and guys who didn't know how to treat a woman, but I didn't stay with them. I held out for someone who treats me the way I deserve. I learned how a man should treat a woman from watching my parents' marriage. They treat one another with honesty, respect and trust, and every day my father shows my mother how much he appreciates her. (And vice versa.) I have two sister, and we all grew up with a very powerful message about the kind of treatment that we deserve from men.

I also think the conversation about what "chivalry" means is an interesting one. If the term means treating women as though they were helpless, weak little flowers who can't possibly be capable of standing on their own two feet, then I have no problem with chivalry being dead. However, I interpret it more as men treating women with respect. And again, I would say that if a woman demands to be treated with respect and doesn't put up with men who treat her poorly, she will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured