Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Do you think Chivalry is dead?

Options:

I think it is making a comeback

I think it is dead

what is chivalry?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

Something I read this morning is making me ask this question.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
parentalrights1
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Quoting Stephanie329:

yes but this post is about chivalry. Generally when I hear people boast about how they were raised superior to kids today it is all about how chivalrous they were or how they respected their elders, but chivalry is not necessary and the traditional idea of respecting elders seems to include being a doormat to them and putting up with disrespect from them. People are taking the approach now that everyone deserves respect until they do something to lose it, in which case it must be earned back
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

That's just standard feminism bashing.

Whoever has the free hand should open the door.  Whoever reaches the door first should not let it slam in another person's face.  If someone is old or injured, they should get the seat on the train.

It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry, which I hope is dead, but respect, which I hope is not

I agree but I disagree. = )

Just because a man shows courtesy and respect to women and his elders doesn't mean he doesn't show it to every person including men his own age. I don't think that a man who would open a door for an elderly person or a woman, but would not hold the door for a teen boy or a man his own age is chivalrous. A man who feels chivalry is best spent on the elderly and women is't chivalrous at all IMO.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM
3 moms liked this

I suppose it is in the definition of "chivalry."

What I do not like is treating women like delicate flowers who musn't muss their pretty hair, or worry their womanly brain about manly things like politics and business.  That can (and did) lead to not only an elevation of women, but also an oppression of women.  Sure, someone would hold the door for them, but that also meant they were too delicate and ladylike to be a good CEO.  KWIM?  

What I do like is treating people respecfully, and if people want to call that chivalry, then there's no argument except semantics! 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting stacymomof2:

That's just standard feminism bashing.

Whoever has the free hand should open the door.  Whoever reaches the door first should not let it slam in another person's face.  If someone is old or injured, they should get the seat on the train.

It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry, which I hope is dead, but respect, which I hope is not

I agree but I disagree. = )

Just because a man shows courtesy and respect to women and his elders doesn't mean he doesn't show it to every person including men his own age. I don't think that a man who would open a door for an elderly person or a woman, but would not hold the door for a teen boy or a man his own age is chivalrous. A man who feels chivalry is best spent on the elderly and women is't chivalrous at all IMO.

momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM
I love for a gorgeous man to open a door for me and to treat me like a lady. That's just me though. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM
No not dead. My husband respects me and vice versa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yes. I believe the women's movement, sort of pushed it to the side.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

When I think of chivalry I think if knights. LOL Than I think of respect. Everyone should be respectful. Period. And no I do not believe it is dead.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Roe v. Wade had a huge impace on chivalry.

Quoting candlegal:

could be because for 30 or so years they have been ridiculed for doing so.

Quoting owl0210:

Yes it is dead. I'm all for strong independent women but some men don't want to open doors, pay for dates and court women anymore.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM
How so?

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting owl0210:

Yes it is dead. I'm all for strong independent women but some men don't want to open doors, pay for dates and court women anymore.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Roe v. Wade = Pro-Choice, is not about abortion. It's about a woman's right to own her body herself, without a man co-owning. Prior to the movement, a man chose most things for a woman, without much question or arguement. Once women started to understand that basic freedom, that you enjoy today without thought, it also spun into overdrive....almost extreme, where women would make a scene if a man did something nice, that used to be automatic.

Not sure how old you are. I'm old enough that my mother lived that life.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

How so?
Quoting EireLass:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting owl0210:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN