Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fail: Lone Union Worker Walks Out of Walmart

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this

In an inspiring example of Union Fail, the planned union walkout on Walmart during Black Friday led off with a one-employee walkout at a Walmart in St. Cloud, Florida on Wednesday. The walkout was led by – and entirely constituted by – Vanessa Ferreira, 59. She told her manager that she was going on strike. The other workers watched her leave, shrugged, and went back about their business. The police then warned Ferreira for trespass.

Ferreira has worked for Walmart for eight years in the cakes department, where she decorates cakes. But she says that her wages are too low – at nearly $12 per hour – to survive on. Which, of course, begs the question of how she’s been living on those wages for eight years.

“They pay low wages, then the taxpayers pick up the tab for food stamps and Medicaid,” said Ferreira. “They need to take care of their people. They need to be responsible to their workers.”

Huffington Post tried to champion Ferreira as a brave soul:

Whatever strikes hit Walmart stores this Friday, it's likely only a small, perhaps miniscule fraction of the retailer's 1.4-million member U.S. workforce will take part. And though news footage may show boisterous gatherings by activists outside stores, the more daring acts of protest will have been undertaken by individual workers like Ferreira who walk out when there are no TV cameras around. In recent days, it became clear that if she went on strike she would probably do so alone.

But even Ferreira acknowledges that the other Walmart employees say she doesn’t speak for them, and are annoyed by her theatrics.

source

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM
9 moms liked this

I agree with her and it's sad the other employees were too afraid or didn't care enough to join her. 12 dollars an hour, after working at a place for 8 YEARS, is ridiculous. You can not survive on that, let alone raise a family. People say they are sick of "welfare leeches" but it is corp.s like walmart, who can afford to pay their workers more, who often help to keep these people in the cycle. Walmart turned over 8 billion last year. They are so greedy. They over work their employees and pay them skimpy wadges. It's sad. I will protest them by taking my business else were. I can afford to pay a little extra and I encourage those who can to do the same. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Kitschy
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Good for her. She's a brave woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting Kitschy:

Shes niw an unemployed woamn. 12 bucks an hour is better then nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM
11 moms liked this

According to this, http://www.alternet.org/labor/walmart-retaliates-against-black-friday-activists, she is a member of OUR Walmart, and walked out after being disciplined for the first time in her career.  She believes she was being disciplined because of her involvement with OUR Walmart.

She also finally did it because she could afford to due to her husband's income. 

She filed a complaint with the National Labor Board, and WalMart now states the trespassing order had been givin "in error".

FAIL, WalMart.

SuperChicken
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Good for her.  While I'm not a huge fan of unions I admire someone who will stand by their beliefs even when they have to do so alone.   That's not an easy thing to do.

Kitschy
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM
7 moms liked this
She's not an idiot. She knew the risk and chose to stand up for what she believes in. Good for her. Not everyone believes that you should be happy to work regardless of the conditions.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Shes niw an unemployed woamn. 12 bucks an hour is better then nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I am glad she stood up for what she believes in. Good for her. The woman has 8 years experience as a decorator, she wont have a problem getting a job somewhere else, making much more than $12/hr. 

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sounds like she knew what would happen but didn't care because her husband can support her. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Sounds like she was fed up.  Joining an activist or unionist group should not be grounds for disciplinary action, if what I read (and what breitbart, of course, failed to tell you - but then you didn't care enough to look for the whole story, did you?) is true.

Yet again, WalMart proves it doesn't care about it's employees.  She may have actionable grounds now.  They just keep stepping in it! 

Quoting candlegal:

Sounds like she knew what would happen but didn't care because her husband can support her. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Maybe but they can afford to step in it.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Sounds like she was fed up.  Joining an activist or unionist group should not be grounds for disciplinary action, if what I read (and what breitbart, of course, failed to tell you - but then you didn't care enough to look for the whole story, did you?) is true.

Yet again, WalMart proves it doesn't care about it's employees.  She may have actionable grounds now.  They just keep stepping in it! 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)