Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fail: Lone Union Worker Walks Out of Walmart

Posted by   + Show Post

In an inspiring example of Union Fail, the planned union walkout on Walmart during Black Friday led off with a one-employee walkout at a Walmart in St. Cloud, Florida on Wednesday. The walkout was led by – and entirely constituted by – Vanessa Ferreira, 59. She told her manager that she was going on strike. The other workers watched her leave, shrugged, and went back about their business. The police then warned Ferreira for trespass.

Ferreira has worked for Walmart for eight years in the cakes department, where she decorates cakes. But she says that her wages are too low – at nearly $12 per hour – to survive on. Which, of course, begs the question of how she’s been living on those wages for eight years.

“They pay low wages, then the taxpayers pick up the tab for food stamps and Medicaid,” said Ferreira. “They need to take care of their people. They need to be responsible to their workers.”

Huffington Post tried to champion Ferreira as a brave soul:

Whatever strikes hit Walmart stores this Friday, it's likely only a small, perhaps miniscule fraction of the retailer's 1.4-million member U.S. workforce will take part. And though news footage may show boisterous gatherings by activists outside stores, the more daring acts of protest will have been undertaken by individual workers like Ferreira who walk out when there are no TV cameras around. In recent days, it became clear that if she went on strike she would probably do so alone.

But even Ferreira acknowledges that the other Walmart employees say she doesn’t speak for them, and are annoyed by her theatrics.

source

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
romalove
by Roma on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't get it.

If $12 an hour is low for what she does and she can get a job elsewhere for more, why the need to strike?  Why can't she just go find another job?

I wouldn't work for that wage for 8 years either, but I also wouldn't get into a dispute with the employer.  You don't pay me what I think I'm worth?  I would get something else and put in 2 weeks notice.

PestPatti
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

She also finally did it because she could afford to due to her husband's income.----   SHE COULD AFFORD TO.   Thats not standing by your beliefs..

She's not an idiot. She knew the risk and chose to stand up for what she believes in. Good for her. Not everyone believes that you should be happy to work regardless of the conditions.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Good for her. She's a brave woman.

Shes niw an unemployed woamn. 12 bucks an hour is better then nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I agree.   I love these people that get upset about what they get paid but they agreed to the pay when they took the job.

Quoting romalove:

I don't get it.

If $12 an hour is low for what she does and she can get a job elsewhere for more, why the need to strike?  Why can't she just go find another job?

I wouldn't work for that wage for 8 years either, but I also wouldn't get into a dispute with the employer.  You don't pay me what I think I'm worth?  I would get something else and put in 2 weeks notice.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Wal mart treats their employees like shit. Which is why I walked out and left my dept short handed...

I praise her for doing this

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Sekirei:

Wal mart treats their employees like shit. Which is why I walked out and left my dept short handed...

I don't care if she walks out, or strikes, or whatever.

Walmart sucks and I don't shop/work there.

But I think they are what they are, and she knew that, so why get mad now?

Just find another job and move on.

Most of this latest fuss if because they changed when they wanted people to work, so they would be busy on the holiday.  It's retail.  You work retail, you're gonna have suckage hours around holidays. 

And of course there are tons of people who work holidays for other reasons, like people in restaurants, hospitals, police, fire, etc.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

That takes some guts, surely something I'd never do. I like my paychecks and working for them.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with Roma,  looking for another job would have been more productive.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Sekirei:

Most of this latest fuss if because they changed when they wanted people to work, so they would be busy on the holiday.  It's retail.  You work retail, you're gonna have suckage hours around holidays. 

And of course there are tons of people who work holidays for other reasons, like people in restaurants, hospitals, police, fire, etc.

It's more than just that.. the change in the hours is probably the final straw.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

she should have finally looked for another job.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Sekirei:

It's more than just that.. the change in the hours is probably the final straw.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I just have 1 question....how much do ya'll want to pay for a cake? 

I am willing to venture she spends at least half an hour decorating one...that is $6...plus at least another $4 for the employers costs...that is $10...just for her services.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured