Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fail: Lone Union Worker Walks Out of Walmart

Posted by   + Show Post

In an inspiring example of Union Fail, the planned union walkout on Walmart during Black Friday led off with a one-employee walkout at a Walmart in St. Cloud, Florida on Wednesday. The walkout was led by – and entirely constituted by – Vanessa Ferreira, 59. She told her manager that she was going on strike. The other workers watched her leave, shrugged, and went back about their business. The police then warned Ferreira for trespass.

Ferreira has worked for Walmart for eight years in the cakes department, where she decorates cakes. But she says that her wages are too low – at nearly $12 per hour – to survive on. Which, of course, begs the question of how she’s been living on those wages for eight years.

“They pay low wages, then the taxpayers pick up the tab for food stamps and Medicaid,” said Ferreira. “They need to take care of their people. They need to be responsible to their workers.”

Huffington Post tried to champion Ferreira as a brave soul:

Whatever strikes hit Walmart stores this Friday, it's likely only a small, perhaps miniscule fraction of the retailer's 1.4-million member U.S. workforce will take part. And though news footage may show boisterous gatherings by activists outside stores, the more daring acts of protest will have been undertaken by individual workers like Ferreira who walk out when there are no TV cameras around. In recent days, it became clear that if she went on strike she would probably do so alone.

But even Ferreira acknowledges that the other Walmart employees say she doesn’t speak for them, and are annoyed by her theatrics.

source

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Replies (111-118):
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM
oohh I soo do not miss those days

Quoting kailu1835:

I SHOULD have caught it.  You and I tend to be on the same wavelength from what I can remember and it struck me as odd lol.  Blame it on a teething baby (YET AGAIN) who has not slept more than 6 hours in the last 48 hours!!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting kailu1835:

It's okay, I got my first ever "like" from Dixie L.

LOL

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

It can be done with proper budgeting.  There's a blog I follow where the lady is the mother of 3 children, 2 with special needs, and by choice, she stays home with them, and the dad makes less than $28,000/year.  They buy life insurance, as well as other non-absolutely-essential things.  An older couple of 2 income earners are more than capable of budgeting.  $18,000 is plenty for ONE person, and two people making that are definitely more than capable of living within a budget.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

$18,730 gross annual income does not leave a whole lot of wiggle room for financial planning. Also take into consideration there are no health benefits- these are the working poor. I'm pretty decent with budgeting but one has to be quite creative to make those numbers work for a head of household supporting a family. Heck rent costs and food alone and they are already behind before they could even get ahead.

Quoting kailu1835:

$12/hour in a place that minimum wage is set at $7.60 is not keeping the employee at poverty level.  Just because people are incapable of budeting does not mean that they deserve more pay.  Maybe they should take responsibility for their finances and work with what they have instead of what they wish they had.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I have purposely avoided Walmart this Balck Friday season. They won't be getting my money. Walmart is anti-American and anti-Family. They keep their wages low while the owners line their pockets with $$$. They enslave thier workers and keep them just above poverty level.

babiesbabybaby development

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, it sucks big time.  I take pleasure in the knowledge that it is fleeting.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

I SHOULD have caught it.  You and I tend to be on the same wavelength from what I can remember and it struck me as odd lol.  Blame it on a teething baby (YET AGAIN) who has not slept more than 6 hours in the last 48 hours!!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting kailu1835:

LOL

amberklo
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM
lol and you really can not help feeling bad for them at the same time.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting kailu1835:

LOL

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Yes :(  The worst part is that his latch is weirded out, so now it's like I'm a brand new breastfeeder with the pain and redness.  I got a nipple shield to use to protect myself a little, but teaching him to use it was accompanied with screaming on his part :(

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting kailu1835:

LOL

LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Idiot. 

amberklo
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM
sounds like no fun at all : ( poor mamma and baby

Quoting kailu1835:

Yes :(  The worst part is that his latch is weirded out, so now it's like I'm a brand new breastfeeder with the pain and redness.  I got a nipple shield to use to protect myself a little, but teaching him to use it was accompanied with screaming on his part :(

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting kailu1835:

LOL

AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sigh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)