Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fail: Lone Union Worker Walks Out of Walmart

Posted by   + Show Post

In an inspiring example of Union Fail, the planned union walkout on Walmart during Black Friday led off with a one-employee walkout at a Walmart in St. Cloud, Florida on Wednesday. The walkout was led by – and entirely constituted by – Vanessa Ferreira, 59. She told her manager that she was going on strike. The other workers watched her leave, shrugged, and went back about their business. The police then warned Ferreira for trespass.

Ferreira has worked for Walmart for eight years in the cakes department, where she decorates cakes. But she says that her wages are too low – at nearly $12 per hour – to survive on. Which, of course, begs the question of how she’s been living on those wages for eight years.

“They pay low wages, then the taxpayers pick up the tab for food stamps and Medicaid,” said Ferreira. “They need to take care of their people. They need to be responsible to their workers.”

Huffington Post tried to champion Ferreira as a brave soul:

Whatever strikes hit Walmart stores this Friday, it's likely only a small, perhaps miniscule fraction of the retailer's 1.4-million member U.S. workforce will take part. And though news footage may show boisterous gatherings by activists outside stores, the more daring acts of protest will have been undertaken by individual workers like Ferreira who walk out when there are no TV cameras around. In recent days, it became clear that if she went on strike she would probably do so alone.

But even Ferreira acknowledges that the other Walmart employees say she doesn’t speak for them, and are annoyed by her theatrics.

source

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Quoting candlegal:
 The police then warned Ferreira for trespass.

Did I miss something?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Sounds like she knew what would happen but didn't care because her husband can support her. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Good for her. She's a brave woman.

Shes niw an unemployed woamn. 12 bucks an hour is better then nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

Do you think she's stupid for walking out?

IMO this isn't news worthy beyond that it happened via a wal-mart.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

I don't get it.

If $12 an hour is low for what she does and she can get a job elsewhere for more, why the need to strike?  Why can't she just go find another job?

I wouldn't work for that wage for 8 years either, but I also wouldn't get into a dispute with the employer.  You don't pay me what I think I'm worth?  I would get something else and put in 2 weeks notice.

I believe the answer is continuity.  I know many people that would exhaust every effort to maintain their employment even with a company like wal-mart before quitting and going elsewhere starting as a peon. Job longevity means a lot to many people.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Nope, I think she knew what she was doing.   She didn't want to work there anymore because her husband can support her.   She used it as an excuse to walk out.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting candlegal:

Sounds like she knew what would happen but didn't care because her husband can support her. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Shes niw an unemployed woamn. 12 bucks an hour is better then nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

nb34
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for her. She is a hero!!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

Nope, I think she knew what she was doing.   She didn't want to work there anymore because her husband can support her.   She used it as an excuse to walk out.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

I can come to a few conclusions about why she walked out, too. Just because her husband can support her doesn't mean that she shouldn't be paid a living wage.

LTryon
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this
My ex-dh has worked in Walmart's Tire & Lube Express for almost 11 years (march will be his 11th year there) and he makes $11.86/hour. For 4 years in a row Walmart conveniently "forgot" to give him a raise with his yearly review. He's the best worker they have there in the shop, so it had nothing to do with job performance (according to his manager), they just "forgot". And every year they would magically "remember" to tell him how they "forgot" to put his raise into the computer, AFTER the "window of opportunity" to do so had just closed...

People say, "if you don't like it, quit", but that's easier said than done when you have a family or bills to take care of.

My ex-dh and I are no longer together. If he walked away from his job right now, he wouldn't be able to pay his bills, he'd lose his house, his insurance (which he's required to have on the kids per our divorce decree), and he'd fall into arrears with his support payments. What kind of job could he get with no license, or if he's sitting in jail because if his child support?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I just have 1 question....how much do ya'll want to pay for a cake? 

I am willing to venture she spends at least half an hour decorating one...that is $6...plus at least another $4 for the employers costs...that is $10...just for her services.

Why are you bringing facts into this?

This is a thread for life's losers to whine and complain.

lga1965
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

She's now an unemployed woman. 12 bucks an hour is better than nothing, which is what she will be making now. Idiot.

So, are you saying she will be fired?

lga1965
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you read minds now? And you are making this woman appear to be a dependant wife, leaning on her husband , which is never a good thing. I think she had her own reasons for doing this.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN