Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM
  • 375 Replies
5 moms liked this

Fox’s Fear Mongering Won’t Stop With The Holidays

2012/11/22
By

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Talking Points Memo yesterday posted a compilation video they called Fox News’ “Scariest Christmas Ever.” In it, they highlight several instances, just between November 17th and November 21st, in which Fox News has already begun to scare their gullible conservative viewers with ideas of a “War of Christmas.”

Co-hosts of Fox New’s, “The Five,” asked each other whether it was too early to start talking about the “War on Christmas,” to which of course, Andrea Tantaros replied, “It’s never too early.” It might be “never too early” for you, Fox News, but the rest of us might need a minute to celebrate the re-election of President Barack Obama and celebrate Thanksgiving with our families before we can stomach your useless fear mongering.

Fox News mentioned several instances they perceive as a “War on Christmas,” which, of course, to the rest of us just seem like a decent separation of church and state.

Indecision Forever writer, Dennis DiClaudio, posted about the removal of a cross on an Illinois water tower and cited Fox News’ headline, “War on Christmas Erupts in Illinois.” DiClaudio aptly asked:

“You ever notice how it’s always a War on Christmas in small town America? It’s never a War on Hanukkah or a War on Ramadan? How about a War on the Festival of Vasant Panchami once in a while? And would it kill them to declare a War on Bahá’í Naw-Rúz now and then? Why is it always the Christian holiday that gets attacked in in these little pockets of Americana?”

Why, indeed, Fox News? It can’t possibly be because you are pandering to your equally uninformed viewers and trying to keep them living in fear of the Obama administration and those scary “liberals,” can it?

News Hounds also reported on another perceived threat by Fox, which they claimed was perpetrated by those evil “atheists” who want to ruin Christmas for everyone. Apparently, Santa Monica has decided, for the first time in 60 years, not to set up nativity scenes along its well known Ocean Avenue. Attorney Peter Johnson Jr. noted, sadly:

“A pox on all your houses, religion is going out the window, we’re not going to allow the First Amendment to prevail here and the result, in the public square, is that Christian and Jewish symbols will not be allowed to be displayed in Santa Monica.”

News Hounds also notes that Johnson chose not to mention a quote by Santa Monica’s deputy city attorney, who stated:

“The decision to ban the displays also saves the city, which had administered the cumbersome lottery process used to award booths, both time and money while preserving the park’s aesthetics.”

So Fox News chose to ignore the facts of the situation and scare its viewers, yet again. Color me surprised.

It gets better though: According to Tantaros, “This is the thing about atheists, they bully other religions, and they are just vehemently intolerant.” Really, Tantaros? Is that “the thing” about atheists? I’m pretty sure, first of all, that to call atheism a “religion,” in the sense that it can be referred to by “other religions,” is wildly inaccurate, not to mention, entirely self-serving for the hacks over at Fox News. But let’s forget that for a moment and focus on how atheists are “vehemently intolerant.” I don’t suppose anyone would ever accuse Fox News, or even, perhaps, Christianity, of being “vehementantly intolerant” of anything, right? (Barring of course, Fox’s vehement support of anti-gay organizations like Chick-Fil-A and other anti-gay actions it took in that vein.) It seems what Fox News is choosing to ignore is its own war on every other belief system, while continuing to direct all their network programming around the idea of intentionally scaring their conservative, Christian viewers.

Rolling Stone magazine has called Fox News “the most profitable propaganda machine in history.” For an organization which claims to be “Fair and Balanced,” Fox News has never been further from either.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad day for those of us that thought we’d dodge Fox New’s “War on Christmas” this year. Not only have they taken up their rabid fear mongering again, but this year, they’ve brought it back even earlier. I’d imagine the best thing to do, if we really want to enjoy our winter season, is to simply avoid Fox News altogether.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Awesome

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM
31 moms liked this

Someone needs to tell these morons that there is no such thing as a war on Christmas. What is actually happening is that others are now able to celebrate the season as they see fit. Christians are still able to celebrate their holiday without persecution, they just can't fucking stand it that they have to see others celebrate differently than they do.

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM
8 moms liked this

I really find the Atheist Religious Cleansing Movement, just to be an attack on Christianity, I mean let's face it, in this country it's politically incorrect, even for Atheists, to attack any other organized religion.  So Christians bear the brunt of the hatred.  For example one lone Atheist, last year, tried to have the Nativity Scene removed from the Town Hall Annex Park, she was basically laughed out of town.   Our, "Old Time Christmas", celebration is a HUGE source of revenue for our very tiny town and thankfully the almighty dollar is more important that one Atheist, so we get to keep our traditions. 

As for Fox, the shows mentioned are commentary shows, that's not news, that's opinion.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM
17 moms liked this

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I really find the Atheist Religious Cleansing Movement, just to be an attack on Christianity, I mean let's face it, in this country it's politically incorrect, even for Atheists, to attack any other organized religion.  So Christians bear the brunt of the hatred.  For example one lone Atheist, last year, tried to have the Nativity Scene removed from the Town Hall Annex Park, she was basically laughed out of town.   Our, "Old Time Christmas", celebration is a HUGE source of revenue for our very tiny town and thankfully the almighty dollar is more important that one Atheist, so we get to keep our traditions. 

As for Fox, the shows mentioned are commentary shows, that's not news, that's opinion.

You view it as an attack on Christianity because it's the only religion here in the US who imposes their beliefs on others...

That one lone Atheist was correct to have an issue with a Nativity scene on Government property- laugh if you want, but she's not the one pissing on the Constitution.

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM
15 moms liked this

I really want to know how it prevents Atheists from living normal lives by seeing a nativity, does it burn their eyes or something, are they being forced to stand for a vigil, anything?  I mean I can't imagine looking at a Menorah and saying to myself, "that has to go", no matter where it stands.  Maybe I just have more to live for than worrying about how others live.  Well she wasn't pissing on the Constitution, but she was definitely pissing into the wind here!

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You view it as an attack on Christianity because it's the only religion here in the US who imposes their beliefs on others...

That one lone Atheist was correct to have an issue with a Nativity scene on Government property- laugh if you want, but she's not the one pissing on the Constitution.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM
15 moms liked this

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I don't understand why your local government didn't just move the "OTC" to another location on private property. That seems like the constitutional thing to do. She really should have reported it to people who really had the power to make them take it down or move it.

I'm Christian myself and have been contemplating starting a campaignto have the annual Nativity scene removed from city hall. Not everyone believes in Jesus and it's unconstitutional. I think people should be lead to god, not forced to him. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM
20 moms liked this

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I really want to know how it prevents Atheists from living normal lives by seeing a nativity, does it burn their eyes or something, are they being forced to stand for a vigil, anything?  I mean I can't imagine looking at a Menorah and saying to myself, "that has to go", no matter where it stands.  Maybe I just have more to live for than worrying about how others live.  Well she wasn't pissing on the Constitution, but she was definitely pissing into the wind here!

Listen, it all has to do with the Government representing ALL Americans. If the Government is endorsing a religion by having religious symbols on it's property, they are violating the Bill of Rights and the rights of all Americans who are not of that particular faith or that have no religious faith at all. I don't give a shit if someone has a 50 ft manger scene on their own private property but it simply doesn't belong on Government property and I fail to understand why Christians have such a hard time respecting the Constitution and the rights of other Americans. You do understandthat not every American is Christian, wants to be Christian , or wants to feel alienated because of the blatant Christian privilege running rampant in our Country.

You people speak about respect and tolerance but that's only when you get what YOU want.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
14 moms liked this

*sigh*

I was hoping for this bullshit to actually skip a year. If you ignore them, they may go away.. holy Loki

(However, I bet if I wanted to put up a Pagan display next to a nativity scene on a government owned property.. there would be a shit storm and a hell no)

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
14 moms liked this

The First Amendment is where the Constitutional protections of religious liberty can be found in the form of the establishment and free exercise clauses:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…

The establishment clause protects the freedom from religion, while the free exercise clause protects the freedom of religion. Unfortunately the religious right ignores former while focusing in solely on the latter.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this
Dont worry... Not all of us Christians are like her :)

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Listen, it all has to do with the Government representing ALL Americans. If the Government is endorsing a religion by having religious symbols on it's property, they are violating the Bill of Rights and the rights of all Americans who are not of that particular faith or that have no religious faith at all. I don't give a shit if someone has a 50 ft manger scene on their own private property but it simply doesn't belong on Government property and I fail to understand why Christians have such a hard time respecting the Constitution and the rights of other Americans. You do understandthat not every American is Christian, wants to be Christian , or wants to feel alienated because of the blatant Christian privilege running rampant in our Country.

You people speak about respect and tolerance but that's only when you get what YOU want.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN