Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Posted by   + Show Post

Fox’s Fear Mongering Won’t Stop With The Holidays

2012/11/22
By

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Talking Points Memo yesterday posted a compilation video they called Fox News’ “Scariest Christmas Ever.” In it, they highlight several instances, just between November 17th and November 21st, in which Fox News has already begun to scare their gullible conservative viewers with ideas of a “War of Christmas.”

Co-hosts of Fox New’s, “The Five,” asked each other whether it was too early to start talking about the “War on Christmas,” to which of course, Andrea Tantaros replied, “It’s never too early.” It might be “never too early” for you, Fox News, but the rest of us might need a minute to celebrate the re-election of President Barack Obama and celebrate Thanksgiving with our families before we can stomach your useless fear mongering.

Fox News mentioned several instances they perceive as a “War on Christmas,” which, of course, to the rest of us just seem like a decent separation of church and state.

Indecision Forever writer, Dennis DiClaudio, posted about the removal of a cross on an Illinois water tower and cited Fox News’ headline, “War on Christmas Erupts in Illinois.” DiClaudio aptly asked:

“You ever notice how it’s always a War on Christmas in small town America? It’s never a War on Hanukkah or a War on Ramadan? How about a War on the Festival of Vasant Panchami once in a while? And would it kill them to declare a War on Bahá’í Naw-Rúz now and then? Why is it always the Christian holiday that gets attacked in in these little pockets of Americana?”

Why, indeed, Fox News? It can’t possibly be because you are pandering to your equally uninformed viewers and trying to keep them living in fear of the Obama administration and those scary “liberals,” can it?

News Hounds also reported on another perceived threat by Fox, which they claimed was perpetrated by those evil “atheists” who want to ruin Christmas for everyone. Apparently, Santa Monica has decided, for the first time in 60 years, not to set up nativity scenes along its well known Ocean Avenue. Attorney Peter Johnson Jr. noted, sadly:

“A pox on all your houses, religion is going out the window, we’re not going to allow the First Amendment to prevail here and the result, in the public square, is that Christian and Jewish symbols will not be allowed to be displayed in Santa Monica.”

News Hounds also notes that Johnson chose not to mention a quote by Santa Monica’s deputy city attorney, who stated:

“The decision to ban the displays also saves the city, which had administered the cumbersome lottery process used to award booths, both time and money while preserving the park’s aesthetics.”

So Fox News chose to ignore the facts of the situation and scare its viewers, yet again. Color me surprised.

It gets better though: According to Tantaros, “This is the thing about atheists, they bully other religions, and they are just vehemently intolerant.” Really, Tantaros? Is that “the thing” about atheists? I’m pretty sure, first of all, that to call atheism a “religion,” in the sense that it can be referred to by “other religions,” is wildly inaccurate, not to mention, entirely self-serving for the hacks over at Fox News. But let’s forget that for a moment and focus on how atheists are “vehemently intolerant.” I don’t suppose anyone would ever accuse Fox News, or even, perhaps, Christianity, of being “vehementantly intolerant” of anything, right? (Barring of course, Fox’s vehement support of anti-gay organizations like Chick-Fil-A and other anti-gay actions it took in that vein.) It seems what Fox News is choosing to ignore is its own war on every other belief system, while continuing to direct all their network programming around the idea of intentionally scaring their conservative, Christian viewers.

Rolling Stone magazine has called Fox News “the most profitable propaganda machine in history.” For an organization which claims to be “Fair and Balanced,” Fox News has never been further from either.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad day for those of us that thought we’d dodge Fox New’s “War on Christmas” this year. Not only have they taken up their rabid fear mongering again, but this year, they’ve brought it back even earlier. I’d imagine the best thing to do, if we really want to enjoy our winter season, is to simply avoid Fox News altogether.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I think so!

Quoting Sekirei:

stirring shit for profit.. seems like that is all they are good for

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Me too - but I guess it's just too profitable for the Fox news family.

Quoting Sekirei:

*sigh*

I was hoping for this bullshit to actually skip a year. If you ignore them, they may go away.. holy Loki

(However, I bet if I wanted to put up a Pagan display next to a nativity scene on a government owned property.. there would be a shit storm and a hell no)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with that but I guarantee the majority Christian population being forced to work on Christmas would throw a fit.
Quoting Carpy:

Government employees should not have Christmas off with pay.

*snip*

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Damn, I've been avoiding Fox News since its inception! I must be ahead of the times.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this
According to SCOTUS, nativity on govt prop violates establishment clause for religiousity (I agree) but menorah does does not since it is secular (I disagree). Read Cty of Allegheny v ACLU (1989) instead of worrying about athiests' eyeballs. Only problem with it is dreidels are secular but menorahs aren't. Oh well. It isn't about offending anyone. Its about the Constitution.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I really want to know how it prevents Atheists from living normal lives by seeing a nativity, does it burn their eyes or something, are they being forced to stand for a vigil, anything?  I mean I can't imagine looking at a Menorah and saying to myself, "that has to go", no matter where it stands.  Maybe I just have more to live for than worrying about how others live.  Well she wasn't pissing on the Constitution, but she was definitely pissing into the wind here!

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I really find the Atheist Religious Cleansing Movement, just to be an attack on Christianity, I mean let's face it, in this country it's politically incorrect, even for Atheists, to attack any other organized religion.  So Christians bear the brunt of the hatred.  For example one lone Atheist, last year, tried to have the Nativity Scene removed from the Town Hall Annex Park, she was basically laughed out of town.   Our, "Old Time Christmas", celebration is a HUGE source of revenue for our very tiny town and thankfully the almighty dollar is more important that one Atheist, so we get to keep our traditions. 

As for Fox, the shows mentioned are commentary shows, that's not news, that's opinion.

You view it as an attack on Christianity because it's the only religion here in the US who imposes their beliefs on others...

That one lone Atheist was correct to have an issue with a Nativity scene on Government property- laugh if you want, but she's not the one pissing on the Constitution.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm officially declaring a war on Chanukah. It starts on Dec 8th this year, well before Christmas. Yet since this Wed PBS' children's programming, except Sesame Street, (no holiday stuff on SS) has been all about Christmas. Even my not quite 6yo DD is complaining! & Winter Solstice comes sooner than Christmas too! My illegal DW explained that DD is right but that there are lots more Christians and so they get the programming. We are a very small minority. This is PBS, which gets federal dollars! Our tax dollars are paying for a true lack of diversity this holiday season in children's programming.

You may think that I'm joking, being sarcastic, or writing tongue in cheek. Only the word "war" is tongue in cheek. If you have not had the experience of raising a child in a minority culture, it isn't easy. It would be great if her experience could be normalized & even celebrated ocassionally on venues like PBS, or, alternatively, there was no holiday "stuff" on PBS this time of year.

We could just refuse her any screen time, like we do on school days. We don't have cable, she attends year round school, & we only watch PBS when she's off from school. We could be more restrictive, but we are fairly restrictive already. Maybe publically funded television needs to be more diverse at this time of year or avoid holiday programming all together, just like other displays, in order to avoid violating the Establishment Clause.
GoodPenny
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

The truth is every time this year atheist groups use the season as an opportunity to platform their agenda and make sure people know they are among us. They do bully, and insult the beliefs of others. Just read roma tomatoe's post about the small coastal city in California that is under attack for their 60 year tradition of displaying a nativity scene. This "war" on Christmas is normal and expected. As expected as the mob mentality of the war on women...is there some truth to it, sure. Is it in reality a war? No...a war is what is going on between Israel and Hamas.     

"I'd rather be a penny wise than a pound foolish"

jonnlilithsmom
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
17 moms liked this

the only people perpetrating a "war" on any religion are conservative Christians... their war is against anyone and anything which isn't, or refuses to bow to Christian Entitlement

what none of them seem to understand is, being refused the right to persecute others doesn't mean YOU are persecuted

lga1965
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

oh well.......this is,after all, Faux News.  The cry baby, "we hate Liberals"  channel.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Infotainment!

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Or athiests & other non-Christians are most vocal at this time of year about some Christians' ability to manipulate the government to violate the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution. Stopping violations of the Establishment Clause is not the same as a war on Christmas. Keep in mind that a nativity scene is religious & if on government prop may be at risk at of violating the Constitution, whereas secular decorations do not risk this. Read County of Allegheny v ACLU (1989) for SCOTUS' take on that. I agree that nativity scenes are *not* secular.

Quoting GoodPenny:

The truth is every time this year atheist groups use the season as an opportunity to platform their agenda and make sure people know they are among us. They do bully, and insult the beliefs of others. Just read roma tomatoe's post about the small coastal city in California that is under attack for their 60 year tradition of displaying a nativity scene. This "war" on Christmas is normal and expected. As expected as the mob mentality of the war on women...is there some truth to it, sure. Is it in reality a war? No...a war is what is going on between Israel and Hamas.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN