Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Posted by   + Show Post

Fox’s Fear Mongering Won’t Stop With The Holidays

2012/11/22
By

Fox New, once again, promotes War on Christmas

Talking Points Memo yesterday posted a compilation video they called Fox News’ “Scariest Christmas Ever.” In it, they highlight several instances, just between November 17th and November 21st, in which Fox News has already begun to scare their gullible conservative viewers with ideas of a “War of Christmas.”

Co-hosts of Fox New’s, “The Five,” asked each other whether it was too early to start talking about the “War on Christmas,” to which of course, Andrea Tantaros replied, “It’s never too early.” It might be “never too early” for you, Fox News, but the rest of us might need a minute to celebrate the re-election of President Barack Obama and celebrate Thanksgiving with our families before we can stomach your useless fear mongering.

Fox News mentioned several instances they perceive as a “War on Christmas,” which, of course, to the rest of us just seem like a decent separation of church and state.

Indecision Forever writer, Dennis DiClaudio, posted about the removal of a cross on an Illinois water tower and cited Fox News’ headline, “War on Christmas Erupts in Illinois.” DiClaudio aptly asked:

“You ever notice how it’s always a War on Christmas in small town America? It’s never a War on Hanukkah or a War on Ramadan? How about a War on the Festival of Vasant Panchami once in a while? And would it kill them to declare a War on Bahá’í Naw-Rúz now and then? Why is it always the Christian holiday that gets attacked in in these little pockets of Americana?”

Why, indeed, Fox News? It can’t possibly be because you are pandering to your equally uninformed viewers and trying to keep them living in fear of the Obama administration and those scary “liberals,” can it?

News Hounds also reported on another perceived threat by Fox, which they claimed was perpetrated by those evil “atheists” who want to ruin Christmas for everyone. Apparently, Santa Monica has decided, for the first time in 60 years, not to set up nativity scenes along its well known Ocean Avenue. Attorney Peter Johnson Jr. noted, sadly:

“A pox on all your houses, religion is going out the window, we’re not going to allow the First Amendment to prevail here and the result, in the public square, is that Christian and Jewish symbols will not be allowed to be displayed in Santa Monica.”

News Hounds also notes that Johnson chose not to mention a quote by Santa Monica’s deputy city attorney, who stated:

“The decision to ban the displays also saves the city, which had administered the cumbersome lottery process used to award booths, both time and money while preserving the park’s aesthetics.”

So Fox News chose to ignore the facts of the situation and scare its viewers, yet again. Color me surprised.

It gets better though: According to Tantaros, “This is the thing about atheists, they bully other religions, and they are just vehemently intolerant.” Really, Tantaros? Is that “the thing” about atheists? I’m pretty sure, first of all, that to call atheism a “religion,” in the sense that it can be referred to by “other religions,” is wildly inaccurate, not to mention, entirely self-serving for the hacks over at Fox News. But let’s forget that for a moment and focus on how atheists are “vehemently intolerant.” I don’t suppose anyone would ever accuse Fox News, or even, perhaps, Christianity, of being “vehementantly intolerant” of anything, right? (Barring of course, Fox’s vehement support of anti-gay organizations like Chick-Fil-A and other anti-gay actions it took in that vein.) It seems what Fox News is choosing to ignore is its own war on every other belief system, while continuing to direct all their network programming around the idea of intentionally scaring their conservative, Christian viewers.

Rolling Stone magazine has called Fox News “the most profitable propaganda machine in history.” For an organization which claims to be “Fair and Balanced,” Fox News has never been further from either.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad day for those of us that thought we’d dodge Fox New’s “War on Christmas” this year. Not only have they taken up their rabid fear mongering again, but this year, they’ve brought it back even earlier. I’d imagine the best thing to do, if we really want to enjoy our winter season, is to simply avoid Fox News altogether.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Replies (371-375):
newmom2be08
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I love that our city displays a nativity every year on public property and also a sign to keep Christ is Christmas. I am sure that some don't agree with the display, but I don't see anyone protesting to take it down.
CafeMom Tickers
iluvalex
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM
No she's just being a Bitch. You should never involved children in this kind of stuff. To must despise kids to say something like that especially around the holidays. Oh btw merry Christmas and happy holidays

Quoting shannonnigans:

You're a sociopath. As well as an ass.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Don't forget to pack extra for the kids.....

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Oh honey, I am as sure of my fate as you are of yours, but no worries, the Summerlands will be grand .. again.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I guess that remains to be seen, huh.....don't forget the shorts!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

LOL! I have no worries about my afterlife, sweetie. You are the one violating your god's rules.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

For someone who claims to not believe you're awfully obsessed with Hell, lol, good thing you love Hell so much, because the only truly condemnable sin is turning you back on God.  Pack some shorts, they say it's hot as Hell down there ;)

You may get a pass though, based on your frail mental status....here's hoping!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Sinning amuses you? Hope your handbasket is fireproof!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iluvalex
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM
No she's just being a Bitch. You should never involved children in this kind of stuff. To must despise kids to say something like that especially around the holidays. Oh btw merry Christmas and happy holidays

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Oh honey, I am as sure of my fate as you are of yours, but no worries, the Summerlands will be grand .. again.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

LOL! I have no worries about my afterlife, sweetie. You are the one violating your god's rules.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

For someone who claims to not believe you're awfully obsessed with Hell, lol, good thing you love Hell so much, because the only truly condemnable sin is turning you back on God.  Pack some shorts, they say it's hot as Hell down there ;)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

iluvalex
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
No she's just being a Bitch. You should never involved children in this kind of stuff. You must despise kids to say something like that especially around the holidays. Oh btw merry Christmas and happy holidays

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

jak3739
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

sorry this has taken awhile to get back to you.  We have all been very sick.  Please read the following websites about laws that require employers to make accomodations for religious practices.  They do exist.

http://www.adl.org/religious_freedom/resource_kit/religion_workplace.asp

http://www.ehow.com/info_7754714_holiday-pay-policies.html

http://www.opm.gov/oca/worksch/html/reli.htm

http://employment.findlaw.com/employment-discrimination/religion-in-the-workplace.html

Not all employers provide pay for religious holidays, however it is illegal to penalize someone or unreasonably force them to work on a religious holiday because you don't agree with their beliefs.  Christmas has become a federal holiday because how many people would actually show up to work at the government between the Christians and those who celebrate it in a secular way.  American Christmas has taken on a life of its own, and at this point is further from its religious roots than ever.  It is a mass marketing campaign and economic policy.  It's not the Christians that are promoting all this carziness and endless shopping days and continual hype, it's the merchandisers. 

Other religious holidays, like Good Friday, are not paid.  My husband works extra hours and saves them as "religious holiday work comp" and then uses them for religious holdays that are not automatically given, which is pretty much every one except Christmas.

Its not the religion that makes Christmas a national holiday, it is the national institution of Christmas as a secular season that does.  I have athiest friends who visit Santa, put up trees and even watch Charlie Brown Christmas. Their celebration is because of the national institution not because they are being forced to by the Christians.  I personally would rather it not be a secular, national holiday because it totally dilutes and profanes the true meaning and makes it hard for all of us to focus on why we are celebrating when the media just wants us to focus on what we are getting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)