Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O War On Chanukah

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 54 Replies

I'm declaring that there is a war on Chanukah. It starts on Dec 8th this year, well before Christmas. Yet since this Wed PBS' children's programming, except Sesame Street, (no holiday stuff on SS) has been all about Christmas. Even my not quite 6yo DD is complaining! My DW explained that DD is right but that there are lots more Christians and so they get the programming. We are a very small minority. This is PBS, which gets federal dollars! Our tax dollars are paying for a true lack of diversity this holiday season in children's programming.

You may think that I'm joking, being sarcastic, or writing tongue in cheek. Only the phrase "war on Chanukah" is written tongue in cheek. If you have not had the experience of raising a child in a minority culture, it isn't easy. It would be great if her experience could be normalized & even celebrated ocassionally on venues like PBS, or, alternatively, there was no holiday programming on PBS at this time of year.

We could just refuse her any screen time, like we do on school days. We don't have cable, she attends year-round school, & we only watch PBS when she is off from school. We could be more restrictive, but we are fairly restrictive already. Maybe publically funded television needs to be more diverse at this time of year or avoid holiday programming all together, just like other displays, in order to avoid violating the Establishment Clause.

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you on this. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the holiday spirit and all things 'Christmas'. Namely the decor, all of the red-green-blue-silver-gold etc. I love to see the salvation army bell ringers ad the smell of pine, cinnamon and peppermint. I love the music, too.  It does seem very one sided. = /

FTR I'm not even christian

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM
My daughter learner about Hanukkah in school last year although I don't think we have any Jewish students. I'm sure it most be hard for you thou not getting to see many shows. The only kid's show I think they've seen is an Arthur episode for Yom Kippur.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that there is much less programming for Jewish children at holiday time, but there is "some".  There are many children of other faiths or no faith at all who are also left out. 

OP, I googled and found a few Hanukkah specials for you, which you might be able to find and share with your child.  One was the Rugrats Chanukah, which they might enjoy.  There is even a Jewish online network, apparently.  :-)

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you!  It's not just tv either, Christmas is EVERYWHERE you look and the other holidays and religions take a backseat.  We don't belong to any organized religion but I'd like to raise my kids to be knowledgeable of all religions and holidays,  but it is nearly impossible. 

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Its true that there is more for Jewish children than for other non-Christian children. We celebrate Pagan holidays as well & there is *nothing* for Winter Solstice. There are the Rugrats & Lambchop specials, & we own the entire Shalom Sesame series and the Planet Matzah Ball specials.

The honest truth is I think PBS should do away with *all* holiday programming, just like government displays of religion shouldn't exist IMO. But it ain't gonna happen.

Quoting romalove:

I know that there is much less programming for Jewish children at holiday time, but there is "some".  There are many children of other faiths or no faith at all who are also left out. 

OP, I googled and found a few Hanukkah specials for you, which you might be able to find and share with your child.  One was the Rugrats Chanukah, which they might enjoy.  There is even a Jewish online network, apparently.  :-)

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Its true that there is more for Jewish children than for other non-Christian children. We celebrate Pagan holidays as well & there is *nothing* for Winter Solstice. There are the Rugrats & Lambchop specials, & we own the entire Shalom Sesame series and the Planet Matzah Ball specials.

The honest truth is I think PBS should do away with *all* holiday programming, just like government displays of religion shouldn't exist IMO. But it ain't gonna happen.

Quoting romalove:

I don't know.

I know we send some tax dollars to PBS but I don't know that it means it's government programming by extension.

We send tax dollars to Planned Parenthood, for example, but it doesn't go to abortion programs but other programs.

PBS has corporate sponsorship as well as individuals (I paid for years to be a member of PBS).  They "should" be able to put whatever programming they think will be appreciated.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM
5 moms liked this

I've been appalled at how early the Christmas crap has been rolled out this year.

N_maricle
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I can see why that's annoying and not particularly fair. Maybe videos are the way the go? I'm sure there are lots of Chanukah DVDs cheap on amazon?

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

8 Crazy Nights for the teenage boys ... and adults who like sweet/sick stories :D

Quoting N_maricle:

I can see why that's annoying and not particularly fair. Maybe videos are the way the go? I'm sure there are lots of Chanukah DVDs cheap on amazon?

Helwa
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Sid the Science Kid on PBS is Jewish. I don't know if they specifically have a holiday special show though. I like PBS because it is much more diverse than typical childrens shows. We are Arab Muslims by the way...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN