Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Women’s Pelvises Sawed in Half During Labor

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-pelvises-sawed-in-half-during-labor.html#ixzz2D7dTVPSe

Now imagine that at the same time you are in labor, struggling to give birth.

I’ve never been there myself, but I’m thinking that trying to push down in your pelvic area over a broken bone makes things even harder than usual. This is why this procedure, symphysiotomy, “should be carried out only in combination with vacuum extraction [i.e. abortion].”

1,500 women in Ireland suffered symphysiotomies without their consent in the 1940′s through the early 1980′s, according to Irish Times. But of course, abortion was (and remains) illegal in Ireland, so they were forced to go through labor and give birth despite their broken pelvises.

One woman remembers being “held down.” Another said that some of the nurses got “physically sick” as her “blood spurted up like a fountain.” A third called her doctors “torturers.” “They didn’t care,” she said. “I was a thing. An experiment.”

About 150 of these women are still alive, and they want justice.

They still suffer from the consequences of the procedure. Even decades later, women in their 70′s and 80′s limp or are confined to wheelchairs. They have chronic back pain and incontinence. As one victim put it, “we are all cripples.”

The symphysiotomy patients have banded together to form Survivors of Symphysiotomy (SOS). The “group claims that the operations were carried out without prior knowledge or consent ‘mainly for religious reasons, by obstetricians who were opposed to family planning.’”

According to SOS, doctors performed symphysiotomies instead of cesarean sections to avoid limiting the number of babies a woman could have. SOS “says that as women could have no more than around four cesareans, so doctors effectively saw them as birth control – a way of capping the family size,” Irish Health reports. They disfavored cesareans because they wanted women to have more than four children each.

The medical establishment, government and Catholic church viewed women as brood mares whose primary purpose was to produce children, regardless of the effect on their own health. A woman who worked as a midwife in Dublin hospitals in the 1950s and 1960s said, “the big thing was to have children even if you dropped dead.”

This attitude still prevails today in Ireland as evidenced by the tragic and entirely avoidable death of Savita Halappanavar. Savita died of complications after the hospital refused to abort her already doomed fetus.

“The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has offered its ‘unreserved sympathy’ to women who suffered complications [from] the controversial obstetric procedure symphysiotomy performed on many women in Ireland,” according to Irish Health.

The Irish Department of Health issued a draft report which noted that “symphysiotomy use was at its peak in Ireland when it was in decline in other developed countries,” apparently at least in part “to obey laws influenced by the Catholic Church that banned contraception and sterilization” even for women who had trouble giving birth.

Symphysiotomies are now rare in the developed world, though they are still used elsewhere together with vacuum extraction when C-sections aren’t available and the mother’s health is in danger. The procedure involves sawing through the ligaments hinging the pelvis together to increase the bone’s diameter.

SOS is leading a charge to get recognition and compensation from the Irish government for the violation of their bodies and their subsequent pain and suffering. The problem is that the deadline to bring their claims has passed.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-pelvises-sawed-in-half-during-labor.html#ixzz2D7dTVPSe

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:22 AM
That is downright horrific!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:26 AM
Um wtf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winniw
by New Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Is very scary

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:45 AM
I went and read through this on the sore and read that the European council on human rights or whatever has ordered Ireland to change laws to allow for saving a mother's life.
Of course, this is non binding so Ireland won't have to do anything for a while if ever. It will likelytake a while to get anything done over there. The constitution has to be changed for any abortion to become legal and it had been defeated three times, smaller margin each time. But even though the bill was expressly written narrowly to only allow it to save the life of a woman who was dying at that moment. Still didn't pass. I need to look and make sure their legislature/parliament aren't the only roadblock in the way of simple legislation. Man those wacky people sure are little baby worshipers over there it seems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Gotta love the CC, & the way it views women.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That was difficult to read.

Horrific.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

OMG WTF.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Yikes!! The view of women now, and through the history of the CC, is one reason I left that religion and never looked back!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Terrible.

Snapdragon88
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Oh my God.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)