Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sprint Users, your advice is needed

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

Do any of you ladies have a smartphone with the Sprint network?  my husband and I have two Galaxy S III phones reserved with them and if they ever get them back in stock we can buy them for $49.99 apiece. We have Verizon until this Tuesday when our contract runs out and we have the option to switch to another carrier, with no penalties yay!

My question is, what do real Sprint customers think of their 3G network? How is their regular customer service? Are you happy enough to stay with Sprint even if you could leave?

thanks!

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zildjans_mom
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I love sprint! Been with them for 5+ yrs any service problems may take awhile to fix in the field, but they compensate you nicely when it does get fixed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a galaxy II and Sprint. My husband has Verizon and he has a Galaxy II as well. I have 4g and he has 3g and our phones have the same user capacity in our area. We've loaded the same youtube pages, games, app sites etc simultaneously and they load in an equal amount of time using the same amount of data. IMO they're equal.

FTR he has Verizon because he has a cell phone for work. Sprint is more economical and has a better data plan in our area.

finnbar
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah, it looks to me like Verizon may have more coverage in podunkville areas of the country but we live in a major city in our state.  If we are in podunkville we will probably be camping and want to get away from our phones anyways!

Sprint has a WAY better plan for our area than Verizon.  We will share 1500 minutes per month for calls to landlines, between 9 AM and 7 PM, with unlimited calls to landlines at night.  We would have unlimited texting and calling to other mobile devices. Verizon has NOTHING like that available to us right now.  We are paying over $100 a month for a rather small amount of minutes and texts, just 1000 texts between the two fo us!  I can do that in a week.  It's awful to constantly have to refrain from talking to people or asking somebody a burning question because "we are able to run out of texts!"

kam013
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I have had Sprint for 10+ years.  I have suffered through the transition when they took over Nextel.  I have suffered through their bout with horrible customer service (many years back) and I can honestly say I will probably never leave Sprint now, as they have improved so much in the last 5 years or so.  

Their phone service (at least on the East Coast) is the best in my opinion.  DH has a work phone through Verizon, constant dropped or lost calls, absolutely hates it.  I never have had an issue with dropped calls, missed calls, or anything of that nature.  I have had service in the Mountains of Maine and Coastal Maine while on vacation when other family members with other carriers did not.  I had excellent service while on vacation in Puerto Rico, DH did not.  

In my line of work, I am often asked to visit other National carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) to check their customer service and always get pricing information and I have found every single time that the price I get with Sprint is the best out there for the services that I have.  I have 4 Smart phones on our plan, unlimited text and unlimited data,1500 minutes (which we never even come close to using) plus a few extras and it is always less than the other carriers.  We also have the 4G and hotspot options on all of our phones and again we never have phone or calling issues.    

Right now I have the EVO, which I love, alothough I am upgrading to the Galaxy III after the holidays.  I have 2 kids with the Galaxy II and one with the Galaxy III.  We are all very happy with our phones and service.  

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I have had Sprint for 12 yrs.  I echo another poster that the customer service went to heck but it came back. 

My issue with them today is fees.  For many yrs they never charged a connection fee when you upgraded your phone.  This yr we paid 36 a phone I think, I have 3 lines and I was angry.  Angry enough that I may change providers when my contract is up.  i also recently have had issues with picture mail being billed as data as we have everything messaging but no data so my picture mesasages should be covered.  What I have found is when people with certain phones send pictures they are recieved as email thus the data charges.  I was pretty upset about that too.

The service itself is good.  Years ago verizon was not nation wide and we travelled to Florida often and I would roam.  Sprints service area has been nation wide  for a lot longer that verizon or other carriers.

My daughters bf has a droid with smart talk I think and he gets unlimited everything for 25% less than what we pay for everything messaging.  I would love to let the boy watch you tube or netflix in the van...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

kam013
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting survivorinohio:

I have had Sprint for 12 yrs.  I echo another poster that the customer service went to heck but it came back. 

My issue with them today is fees.  For many yrs they never charged a connection fee when you upgraded your phone.  This yr we paid 36 a phone I think, I have 3 lines and I was angry.  Angry enough that I may change providers when my contract is up.  i also recently have had issues with picture mail being billed as data as we have everything messaging but no data so my picture mesasages should be covered.  What I have found is when people with certain phones send pictures they are recieved as email thus the data charges.  I was pretty upset about that too.

The service itself is good.  Years ago verizon was not nation wide and we travelled to Florida often and I would roam.  Sprints service area has been nation wide  for a lot longer that verizon or other carriers.

My daughters bf has a droid with smart talk I think and he gets unlimited everything for 25% less than what we pay for everything messaging.  I would love to let the boy watch you tube or netflix in the van...

In case you didn't already know this, they ALWAYS waive the activation fee if you order your phone online and have it shipped to you.  The new phone almost always arrives in 24-48 hours.  I have found this to be very cost effective.  I have never paid an activation fee.

If you already knew this, please ignore this post.  LOL

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I sadly switched from Verizon to Sprint recently and got the Galaxy sIII... My husband doesn't mind Sprint and loves his but I don't like Sprint and I miss my IPhone 4S.. Sprint drops alot more calls and to get internet is an act of God sometimes. I rarely had that problem with Verizon. It's a very slow service if any service. I also didn't save any money and am probably paying a little more than when I had Verizon.  The ONLY consolation is Unlimited Internet.. when it works. 

They also nickel and dime. The Galaxy SIII insurance is about $11. per month. Other phones, it's about $8. per month, so $30 a month isn't worth keeping the insurance. With Verizon it was about $5. & $8. for an IPhone. Sprint really isn't a deal overall. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We had verizon for years and we switched to spring over the summer. I'm very happy with sprint.

dlane12152007
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sprint's customer service beyond tops Verizon. I hate Verizon. Our contract ended with them when we switched and they still sent us bills even though our remaining balance had been paid in full. The bills they sent us were for $0.60!! Yes, 60 cents. And NO ONE at Verizon could explain what the hell the $0.60 was for. And even after paying the $0.60 (just to get them to leave us the hell alone because they threatened collections for $0.60!) at least twice they still continued to send us a bill. We eventually gave up on it. Sprint's service sucks depending on your location. Where we live we have horrible signal but where we go to vacation we have excellent service. But Sprint is always quick to rememdy an issue and they have always been so polite and pleasant. Verizon has always treated us like shit (we originally had Alltel but they were bought out).

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)