Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disney movies sure have changed!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you allow your children to watch a G rated Disney film if its story line showed a lot of drunk people and drinking in many of its scenes?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 81

View Results

Last night we were watching Pete's Dragon with the kids. I quickly realized that during the entire movie that one or many of the main characters was drunk and/or drinking. I remember laughing as a kid at the drunken stupor of the traveling doctors assistant. Flasks, shots and beer guzzling...you won't see any of that if a rated G movie from Disney these days.

Is that weird? Is drinking and drunkenness no longer considered a G rating?

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, but my children are also allowed to watch old school Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Heckle and Jeckle, and Woody Woodpecker.   Those have some far from PC cartoons, especially many of them during WWII.

AMBG825
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM
3 moms liked this

My kids have watched Shrek with all its innuendos. Bugs Bunny. Tom and Jerry. The Wizard of Oz. They've even read the Bible. 

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
5 moms liked this

Most of that stuff goes over kid's heads, and if it doesn't, they ask questions and it's an opportunity to talk to them about things.

I never really made things off limits for my kids.  My youngest was watching Rent at 8 years old, because she loved the music, and it gave me opportunity to talk to her about a lot of more grown up things. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Yes I would. I don't really shelter my kids from much.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I just showed your siggy to my 16 year old, she loves 2NE1, as well as other YG and SM groups. 

She and a friend just saw Big Bang at the Prudential Center.  Hubby and I dropped them off, had dinner, then picked them up afterward.  You would not believe the hysteria every time one of the dark windowed SUV's would leave, the kids were acting like it was the Beatles lol.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I just showed your siggy to my 16 year old, she loves 2NE1, as well as other YG and SM groups. 

She and a friend just saw Big Bang at the Prudential Center.  Hubby and I dropped them off, had dinner, then picked them up afterward.  You would not believe the hysteria every time one of the dark windowed SUV's would leave, the kids were acting like it was the Beatles lol.

I'm soooo jealous! I want to see BIGBANG live. :)

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I'm soooo jealous! I want to see BIGBANG live. :)

Oh, it's all one word?  LOL, I listen to her, I swear, and I was good mommy and took them to Newark....

AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My brothers and I used to watch animaniacs when we were little. Looking back there is a lot of inappropriate humor in that show! It went over our heads though. Kids don't catch on to that stuff, its just to make it bearable for the parents to sit through it. I'm not really concerned about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yes, I would and do

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
They drink and get drunk in Brave as well... :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN