Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mistrust Runs Deap In Gaza After israel Breaches Ceasefire Agreement

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 34 Replies

One person was killed and 19 injured in Gaza by the Israeli army on Friday, breaking a two-day old ceasefire between the Jewish state and the Strip and sparking critical responses by Palestinian officials.

A 21-year-old man, identified as Anwar Qadih by an Al-Akhbar correspondent, was shot in the head by Israeli gunfire as he and a group of Palestinians approached the security fence running along the border between Israel and Gaza near the southern city of Khan Younis.

There were conflicting accounts of the event, including the reason why of a group of Palestinians were near the border and whether warning shots were fired by the Israeli army.

According to the ceasefire agreement brokered by Egypt, Israel may not fire at Gaza's border area.

The eight-day conflict that pitted the Israeli army against Palestinian parties in the Gaza Strip ended Wednesday evening, triggering mass celebrations in the coastal strip with locals proclaiming a victory for Palestinian resistance groups.

Two Palestinians died on Friday morning as a result of wounds sustained during the Israeli offensive's relentless airstrikes, medical officials told Ma’an news agency. Their deaths brought the death toll to 170 Palestinians.

Nearly 1,400 rockets struck Israel during the conflict, killing four civilians and two soldiers, including an officer who died on Thursday of wounds sustained the day before, the Israeli army said. Israel dropped 1,000 times as much explosive on the Gaza Strip as landed on its soil, however, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said according to Reuters.

The ceasefire involved an immediate cessation of violence, as well as talks with the mediating Egyptian state to negotiate a new border deal. Hamas has demanded a lift of the blockade on Gaza.

Gaza's border has been unilaterally declared a buffer zone by Israel in the past, but the ceasefire talks may entail a revision of the area's status.

The Palestinian foreign minister in Gaza Riyad al-Maliki said the Israeli attack was a "clear violation" of the ceasefire and should not be repeated, Lebanese news channel al-Mayadeen reported.

Al-Akhbar's correspondent in Gaza said that Palestinian political parties, including Hamas and the Islamic Jihad, have reported the ceasefire breach to Egypt.

The parties said that they are ready to respond to the attacks, but are working through diplomatic channels first.

Two days after the end of the conflict, life was slowly going back to normal in Gaza. Work was expected to return to normal hours on Saturday, as Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh promised the government would help reconstruct homes destroyed by the numerous Israeli air raids.

But An opinion poll on Friday showed nearly half of all Israelis supporting a continuation of military action to stop the attacks and a fall in support for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party ahead of a general election scheduled for January 22.

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Not surprised.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Well that was short.  What did I say?  Oh yeah... "it won't last."

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I notice every word in your title is capitalized, except Israel.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Also, what about all the rockets Hamas fired after the cease fire?

muslimah
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting Carpy:

Also, what about all the rockets Hamas fired after the cease fire?

Hamas has yet to fire a rocket after the cease fire.

Click to join

muslimah
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

I notice every word in your title is capitalized, except Israel.

I don't give israel recognition so I don't capitalize it.

Click to join

muslimah
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting muslimahpj:

Not surprised.

Me either

Click to join

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Your biased article left out the part about Palestinians rushing at the fence (in groups of up to 200), taunting Israeli soldiers, and being warned several times before shots were fired (and those first shots were into the air, not at Palestinians).

Israel is a fact. If you expect people to take you seriously you need to put on your big girl panties and deal with that fact.

Your other option is to just admit openly that you have no problem with genocide and support killing every Jew that can be found ~ with all of the negative feedback (and a further distrust of all things Muslim/Arab) being part of the end result.

muslimah
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Farmlady09:

Your biased article left out the part about Palestinians rushing at the fence (in groups of up to 200), taunting Israeli soldiers, and being warned several times before shots were fired (and those first shots were into the air, not at Palestinians).

Israel is a fact. If you expect people to take you seriously you need to put on your big girl panties and deal with that fact.

Your other option is to just admit openly that you have no problem with genocide and support killing every Jew that can be found ~ with all of the negative feedback (and a further distrust of all things Muslim/Arab) being part of the end result.

They were unarmed on their side of the open aired prison.

Where have you ever seen me type the word "Jew". I am anti Zionist not anti Jew so next time you decide to put words in my mouth , think again.

Click to join

Mesh2
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM
3 moms liked this

There were 300 protesters from Gaza who breached the buffer zone between Gaza and Israel and were attempting to break through the internationally recognized border, one of whom actually made it through. Their actions were a breach of the cease fire, however these actions were not the first breach. At least 7 rockets landed in Israeli territory from Gaza between the announced cease fire and this breach of Israeli sovereignty. Prior to live ammunition being fired at the protesters, there were many warning shots fired and only after the protesters continued attempting their breach did the soldiers shoot at the protesters. 

Every soverign country in the world would react this way, including Egypt, Jordan and even the United States. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)